The Student Room Group

Think my teacher is racist?

Have a sneaking suspicion my chem teacher is a racist. I always seem to get less in tests than the other kids for writing the same answers. I am looking to have coursework marked independently I am that worried? I fear that because he knows I am looking for a reprediction of my A2 grades he will mark my mock poorly like he did last year at AS (went from a C to and A when I complained, I just wasn't given, marks, and he missed so many that it ruled out accident) My other chem teacher left so now it's just him, but of course I have no proof that he is a racist, so I don't want to brand him, because his motives may be something else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by vuvuzela
Have a sneaking suspicion my chem teacher is a racist. I always seem to get less in tests than the other kids for writing the same answers. I am looking to have coursework marked independently I am that worried? I fear that because he knows I am looking for a reprediction of my A2 grades he will mark my mock poorly like he did last year at AS (went from a C to and A when I complained, I just wasn't given, marks, and he missed so many that it ruled out accident) My other chem teacher left so now it's just him, but of course I have no proof that he is a racist, so I don't want to brand him, because his motives may be something else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are you and what is he? I don't doubt your situation regardless; I've had racist teachers before. But it wasn't a guessing game for me. I won't get into it because this is your thread.
Reply 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go to the head of science and tell them your concerns.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by King Mal
What are you and what is he? I don't doubt your situation regardless; I've had racist teachers before. But it wasn't a guessing game for me. I won't get into it because this is your thread.

I'm mixed white + black African

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Katty3

Posted from TSR Mobile

Should I wait till after mocks and coursework marking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Directly go speak to him with your concerns, this way all your misunderstandings will be cleared out. Tell him how he has missed many marks out, and you feel that he is treating you differently compared to others in class. It is best off if you speak to him than speaking to another teacher in the science department or even telling somebody else, because at the end of the day he is your teacher for the rest of your year. :smile: good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, I had a teacher who publicly stated that "it's not that african americans are less intelligent, it's just that they do less well in school", then again she was an old biddy so.
What the hell - that's just out of order, he could lose his job or given a warning. Tell the head of department, provide them with solid evidence.
Reply 8
Original post by Zeeiqbal
Directly go speak to him with your concerns, this way all your misunderstandings will be cleared out. Tell him how he has missed many marks out, and you feel that he is treating you differently compared to others in class. It is best off if you speak to him than speaking to another teacher in the science department or even telling somebody else, because at the end of the day he is your teacher for the rest of your year. :smile: good luck

Ok, thanks. I really don't want to jump in and make things sour yet, if he marks my coursework poorly then we will see.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Katty3

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a good one.

Original post by samina_ay
What the hell - that's just out of order, he could lose his job or given a warning. Tell the head of department, provide them with solid evidence.

Yea, he could ask a classmate for their exam! Take photos of their marks and answers. And then show the comparison to the head.
Don't speak to him directly, he'll dismiss it and carry on. Speak to your parents/guardian and head (preferably a meeting with both there) and it'll create a ****storm so the teacher will either get sacked or overcompensate with marks, job done.
Reply 11
Original post by NarutoUchiha2k14
Yeah, I had a teacher who publicly stated that "it's not that african americans are less intelligent, it's just that they do less well in school", then again she was an old biddy so.

Deep.the oldest of the old teachers generally have that racist air about them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok, thanks. I really don't want to jump in and make things sour yet, if he marks my coursework poorly then we will see.

Posted from TSR Mobile

take photos of someone else's exam first. explain to them why you are doing it. You can't just barge in and say he is racist. If you feel he's done this with past work you have a right to challenge it.
Deep.the oldest of the old teachers generally have that racist air about them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah don't underestimate the young ones; I've had young ones be more cruel because they might have old racist parents or something. I've had old teachers try to be charitable towards me who gave me money and were lenient towards me and stuff, like "white guilt" kinda thing.
Reply 14
That's a good one.

Yea, he could ask a classmate for their exam! Take photos of their marks and answers. And then show the comparison to the head.

I have the AS paper still, and the mark scheme. I want to do well in A2 mocks, so that any mismarks are cannot be accidental. I know the deputy head well, a fellow ethnic minority, so I could talk to him no problem if needs be

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by FFTypoCorrector
Don't speak to him directly, he'll dismiss it and carry on. Speak to your parents/guardian and head (preferably a meeting with both there) and it'll create a ****storm so the teacher will either get sacked or overcompensate with marks, job done.

I went parents evening last year before the paper was remarked, and they genuinely thought I should drop chem because it was looking out of place. This year will be serious

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's a good one.

and get a couple of these tests where he isn't marking properly too.
Reply 17
Original post by Zeeiqbal

Yes, call him out on it to his face - that's the easiest way to get him to stop, because it gives him two options:

a) Stop treating you unfairly. Everything is forgiven. He keeps his job
b) Continue treating you unfairly. Now you have definite proof. He gets sacked.
I have the AS paper still, and the mark scheme. I want to do well in A2 mocks, so that any mismarks are cannot be accidental. I know the deputy head well, a fellow ethnic minority, so I could talk to him no problem if needs be

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well you're lucky because I didn't have anyone to turn to when I was in 6th form! I came straight from a Caribbean town full of Indians and blacks to a British 6th form in a little rural town. There was only one other ethnic staff member but she was mental and like unpaid staff like she just did volunteering because she was a housewife :hmmm: So it was just me and I nearly lost it. I acted out so badly and became so violent that the staff just assuaged me by letting me get through timetables, coursework and exams unconventionally/how I wanted to. :u:
Reply 19
Original post by samina_ay
and get a couple of these tests where he isn't marking properly too.

That's the only one he marked tbf we had another teacher who since left.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending