The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Original post by Josb
Department don't rank applicants at Cambridge? From what I've understood at Oxford, each department makes a shortlist of the top applicants, in which funding bodies and colleges pick their scholarship recipients.
That's why I'm so cautious, I don't want to miss the shortlisting!

Whoever ranks, I don't think your summary of past research projects is critical. Grades and research proposals are likely to be the key points.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by ggggg123
Hi everyone,

I (very obviously) just made an account because I've applied (haven't put in all the docs yet) and now I'm (predictably) nervous as all hell and feel the need to rant about it.

I'm in the writing-my-research-proposal-for-an-MPhil phase and it's currently 1300 words (supposed to be 500-800). Argh.

Few questions, if anyone knows the answers?

- Will I be at an advantage or disadvantage coming from overseas (not the US)? I've got a First, but we have very few universities here, so it's hard to know whether or not they'll consider mine... good.
- I've been working for a year - not academic research related, but has a research component. Good job. Should I try to draw it in much in my research proposal or toss a line and leave it there? Second to that, it shows a clear political affiliation - think they'll look past it or use it as a reason not to select me?
- My research proposal is currently a bit of an even split between the actual research and broader motivation - do you think passion and narrative and such is important or should I ruthlessly cut most of it out?

Thanks in advance - I'm the only person I know applying so I'm grateful there's a place with people in a similar position.

AAARGH

So you've already submitted your GRADSAF and have been asked for a separate research proposal? If so then you've probably already mentioned your previous experience and motivations in A12, A14 and A15 which is where that sort of thing fits.

The research proposal should be:
what you want to research
why it's important - i.e. how it adds to the body of knowledge at this time
brief review of the literature that you'll draw upon
how it builds upon your previous experience (can mention previous work briefly - 'by reading/researching X it seems as if further exploration of Y could be of interest')
why Cambridge is a good place to do it - course structure, research interests, particular modules etc.

The research proposal is an academic document really, you need to remove the personal from it apart from your suitability as a researcher for that subject.

Hopefully that will help you get the word count down
Si si - but they were such small boxes.

I have so much I want to say - it's aggravating.

that's Cambridge for you - I'm currently writing a 6000 word paper that is already 12000 words long…..

Editing and distilling text is a skill you learn pretty quickly!
Hello,
US applicant here, received an offer on November 20 and only now just realized (after getting an email back) that I could accept the offer without penalty even without news of funding. Will not having accepted my offer until now effect my Gates application and college membership? Any ideas?
Reply 544
Will I be at an advantage or disadvantage coming from overseas (not the US)? I've got a First, but we have very few universities here, so it's hard to know whether or not they'll consider mine... good.

Cambridge has been around for a long, long time. I'm sure they've figured out how to evaluate applicants from overseas and from less well known schools by now. You shouldn't be at a disadvantage purely because you're a non-UK, non-US student.

I've been working for a year - not academic research related, but has a research component. Good job. Should I try to draw it in much in my research proposal or toss a line and leave it there? Second to that, it shows a clear political affiliation - think they'll look past it or use it as a reason not to select me?

There should be a space in GRADSAF to list relevant employment. I'd put it there and leave it out of your research proposal. The fact that it shows political affiliation shouldn't hurt you. I listed a job working for a political party on my GRADSAF.

My research proposal is currently a bit of an even split between the actual research and broader motivation - do you think passion and narrative and such is important or should I ruthlessly cut most of it out?

Cut most of it out. My research proposal (716 words excluding citations and title) went a little something like this:

Introduction: 11%

Outlining and justifying my proposed research: 48%

Explaining why Cambridge, POLIS, and the MPhil were the perfect place/department/program for me (including mentioning specific potential supervisors and how their work tied into my own): 30%

Conclusion, which mentioned how my undergraduate studies had prepared me for the rigors of Cambridge: 11%

Note: in the very first sentences of my outline I did say "I am fascinated by concepts of X, Y, and Z and how they interact in AREA OF RESEARCH." So you can discuss your passions/interests, but do so in a way that furthers your proposed research. Don't do any deeply personal "From a young age I've always loved science...." type of stuff.

Hope this helps.
Reply 545
Hi Guys, i'm new to the forum so i'm not quite sure of how it works.

I wanted to ask if anyone could help me understand if i have chances to get into the Mphil in Environmental Policy given my profile and also i wanted to ask how competitive is the admission for the course.
I am Italian and i am about to graduate in an english taught BA in Politics, Philosophy and Economics in Italy with the highest possible grade (110/110).
I have two good references (One from a Political Science professor, and one from a Public Law professor) and i believe the statement is okay. Yet i only have one extracurricular experience (at FAO)
Do i stand any chances of being admitted coming from a mainly political background and with this profile?

Thanks to anyone who can help me
Reply 546
Hi everyone

I'm currently studying for a Master in UK, I love studying and I would like to do it in a very stimulating place...

So, I want to give it a go...
I would like to apply for a PhD in Cambridge, but I have almost no previous research experience (except for my BSc Thesis), and I need to apply by the 6th January (for the funding).

I fear that the competition to enter in a PhD would be too much... So I was thinking, as an alternative, to try for a MPhil (and maybe, next year, for the PhD).

Is that a stupid idea?

Anyone can give me any suggestion?
Reply 547
Original post by Shekz
Hi Guys, i'm new to the forum so i'm not quite sure of how it works.

I wanted to ask if anyone could help me understand if i have chances to get into the Mphil in Environmental Policy given my profile and also i wanted to ask how competitive is the admission for the course.
I am Italian and i am about to graduate in an english taught BA in Politics, Philosophy and Economics in Italy with the highest possible grade (110/110).
I have two good references (One from a Political Science professor, and one from a Public Law professor) and i believe the statement is okay. Yet i only have one extracurricular experience (at FAO)
Do i stand any chances of being admitted coming from a mainly political background and with this profile?

Thanks to anyone who can help me

You meet the entry requirements, which for Italian-educated students are:

University Minimum Requirement
Laurea with an overall grade of 108/110

If the academic requirement of the course is a first:
Laurea with an overall grade of 110/110

The program does not require a CV, which suggests extracurricular activities are less emphasized; your single extracurricular shouldn't put you at a disadvantage.

For the academic year 2009-2010, there were 78 applicants for MPhil in Environmental Policy of which 31 (or 41%) received offers. In the years prior 37 and 28 students were offered places, suggesting that the department aims to admit around 30-40 students each year. Your chances, therefore, greatly depend on how many people applied at the same time you did.

Based purely on your grades and assuming your letters and statement are strong, you shouldn't have too much difficulty receiving an offer. Whether your background is something the admissions council will find attractive to the program is anyone's guess.
Reply 548
Thanks a lot for your answer!

And one last thing, how long does it usually take to have an offer? I applied in late November and my last reference was upload on 2 December

Thanks again
Reply 549
Original post by Shekz
And one last thing, how long does it usually take to have an offer? I applied in late November and my last reference was upload on 2 December

It varies, but applications aren't considered until they're complete (read: all your supplemental documents, including references, are uploaded). So if you submit your GARDSAF on Nov. 28, for example, the departments won't actually look at it until you've uploaded your transcript, research proposal, etc.

If you have everything uploaded and your recommendations were received on Dec 2, you can expect to hear back around January 6, but it could be earlier or later depending on how busy your department is. There's no official time estimate.
I'm still waiting to hear back and I'm so nervous. Just want to know now, the wait is killing me
Reply 551
I don't get why you guys apply so early and already waiting for an offer ten months before the start of the course. Most funding decisions will only be taken between March and June anyway. :confused:
Original post by Josb
I don't get why you guys apply so early and already waiting for an offer ten months before the start of the course. Most funding decisions will only be taken between March and June anyway. :confused:

Because funding deadlines, especially for overseas applicants, are ridiculously early
Reply 553
Original post by Jantaculum
Because funding deadlines, especially for overseas applicants, are ridiculously early

Ah yes, that's true, I remember about the Gates and Rhodes deadlines now.
And because some of us can afford our courses.
Original post by Josb
Ah yes, that's true, I remember about the Gates and Rhodes deadlines now.

Gates, that's the one I was thinking of. I just don't know how people manage to get their applications in by mid-October.
Reply 556
Original post by Jantaculum
Gates, that's the one I was thinking of. I just don't know how people manage to get their applications in by mid-October.

It's 1 October for Rhodes scholarships...
http://www.rhodesscholar.org/news-and-announcements/application-deadline-for-the-2016-rhodes-scholarships/
Reply 557
Original post by akil78
Hi everyone

I'm currently studying for a Master in UK, I love studying and I would like to do it in a very stimulating place...

So, I want to give it a go...
I would like to apply for a PhD in Cambridge, but I have almost no previous research experience (except for my BSc Thesis), and I need to apply by the 6th January (for the funding).

I fear that the competition to enter in a PhD would be too much... So I was thinking, as an alternative, to try for a MPhil (and maybe, next year, for the PhD).

Is that a stupid idea?

Anyone can give me any suggestion?

Apply for the PhD. If they think you will benefit from doing the MPhil first instead they'll make you an offer for that...a few people in past years reported this happening.
Reply 558
Original post by sj27
Apply for the PhD. If they think you will benefit from doing the MPhil first instead they'll make you an offer for that...a few people in past years reported this happening.

Really?

I'm so confused, I a very good student, by I fear the competition...
I got a rejection from Cambridge today. I guess I only have my Oxford application to look forward to - though I don't know how great my chances are considering Cambridge doesn't want me.

What a **** outcome after all that effort. It's weird because the supervisor really seemed to like me. Makes no sense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending