The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lúcio
I feel like Liverpool as a club simply aren't as big as the likes of United/City/Chelsea nowadays. Yeah you've struggled over the last few years but you're still Manchester United and you'll have top players all over the world dreaming of playing for you.
You have excessive amounts of money to spend and your prestige means you can attain almost any target you pursue.

Liverpool on the other hand don't have these things. I mean I love Klopp as our manager and the thought of us winning the league showing immense teamwork and chemistry rather than buying the trophy is all I've ever wanted. That's why it was so gutting when we missed out :colonhash:
We managed to make players like Henderson, Sterling and Coutinho perform like superstars and we even kept Sturridge fit for most of the season.

Lol Liverpool just spunk money that's why you can't buy the trophy. Look at Chelsea's net spend in 14/15. We won it despite being massive underdogs thanks to the work of José Mourinho getting the players to play above their normal level.
Original post by hayles101
I'm sensing a sly dig here... :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your senses are off

I was genuinely asking your opinion.
Original post by jam277
Lol Liverpool just spunk money that's why you can't buy the trophy. Look at Chelsea's net spend in 14/15. We won it despite being massive underdogs thanks to the work of José Mourinho getting the players to play above their normal level.

@SA-1

What is your opinion?
Original post by zKlown
Your senses are off

I was genuinely asking your opinion.

Oh good :tongue:

I really don't know what Jose would do. Keen to get opinions on here. Would be admit he made a mistake with Mata (even to calm things until he replaced him)? Or would he shut him out?

How would Rooney be treated? Remember when Jose wanted him years back he was close to his best then. You'd hope he'd ship him out and appoint a new captain.

And who would he sign? Assume all out for Stones in summer? Other than that? Who does Jose have a great relationship with player wise that is elite.

Obviously we don't know what will happen and if he will definitely get offered the job. But I think given it's a very distinct possiblity it's worth talking about. I mean it's ether him or Giggs right? That's why I don't know now in this position why people wouldn't want him despite his flaws.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zKlown
@SA-1

What is your opinion?

The colloquial term is 'thoughts.'
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Porto he left a fantastic squad, just that him and Barcelona were responsible for ripping that team apart.

Can't really say he left a fantastic squad if he then went about buying most of those players again? I was talking about leaving a proper legacy.
Guess people would be OK with Mata being sold if Mourinho came too

Anyway, still don't think LVG is getting sacked
Original post by NathanW18
Yeah, seemingly some of the board members didn't think he was appropriate for the job. They seemed to be looking for another Sir Alex, but that is not realistic.

This is a difficult situation. It's bad timing and there is nobody available (right now) that is the obvious choice. There is risk attached to whatever the club does. I really envy Liverpool being able to get Klopp.

We can stick it out and let LVG have until the end of the season. If he fails, Mourinho maybe in work at that point, and Ancelotti and Pep may have already signed with another team, starting in July.

We can sack LVG now and bring in Mourinho, but there are obviously negatives there, too. He has been going through his worst spell ever as a manager and his personality is questionable.

The other option would be to sack LVG and appoint Giggs, but I see that as a terrible idea. Giggs chose yesterday to finally get out of his seat and stand on the touchline. I wonder why.

Edit: Sky Sports says Ancelotti is going to Bayern, so he is out of the equation.

Well we saw the toxic side of Mourinho this season. The flip side is that we saw the winner side of him last season. I don't think we'll see many managers survive past 5 years in the modern game.

Mourinho obviously trying to put pressure on the Man Utd board by saying he'll join another club now and not take time out.

I guess you could give LVG a couple more months with Giggs there to step in as interim if it doesn't get better? Problem is that once you give someone the reigns, they rarely want to go back to being number 2.

Yea was a massive coup for us to get Klopp. Was reading an article about how certain managers fit certain clubs and how Klopp seems a perfect fit for Liverpool but probably wouldn't have for Chelsea. I think Simeone would be a perfect fit for Chelsea or Man Utd whereas Guardiola would be perfect for Man City.

Perhaps the Man Utd board will try to stick with LVG till the summer with the option of Giggs in the hope that they can lure Guardiola in the summer?

Would be epic to see:
Liverpool - Klopp
Man City - Guardiola
Man Utd - Mourinho
Arsenal - Wenger
Chelsea - Simeone

The best managerial talent in the world all in England.
Original post by Zerforax
Well we saw the toxic side of Mourinho this season. The flip side is that we saw the winner side of him last season. I don't think we'll see many managers survive past 5 years in the modern game.

Mourinho obviously trying to put pressure on the Man Utd board by saying he'll join another club now and not take time out.

I guess you could give LVG a couple more months with Giggs there to step in as interim if it doesn't get better? Problem is that once you give someone the reigns, they rarely want to go back to being number 2.

Yea was a massive coup for us to get Klopp. Was reading an article about how certain managers fit certain clubs and how Klopp seems a perfect fit for Liverpool but probably wouldn't have for Chelsea. I think Simeone would be a perfect fit for Chelsea or Man Utd whereas Guardiola would be perfect for Man City.

Perhaps the Man Utd board will try to stick with LVG till the summer with the option of Giggs in the hope that they can lure Guardiola in the summer?

Would be epic to see:
Liverpool - Klopp
Man City - Guardiola
Man Utd - Mourinho
Arsenal - Wenger
Chelsea - Simeone

The best managerial talent in the world all in England.

Guardiola at City would just kill the league imo. He'll have a blank cheque to bring more world class players to the club and City already have the strongest squad in the league. Pellegrini just cant get them to consistently play to the level that they are capable of. So, if Guardiola moves to City then City will have the strongest squad in the league along with the strongest manager in the league and arguably the world.

Anyways, starting to feel sorry for van Gaal. Saw the video where he was booed off pretty badly and i couldnt help but feel sorry for him. He's tried his best and although he has been an arrogant **** with regards to tactics and everything else, he has done a few positive things like getting us back into the CL at the first attempt and clearing out the deadwood bar Hernandez (Di Maria is deadwood to me not in the sense of quality but rather the fact he did not want to be at United in the first place). However, hes done some terrible things like trimming the squad so much, selling off something like 5 attackers and only bringing 2 in which means we have to rely on a 19 year old up front. He just expected Rooney to fire but sadly hes done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce

Anyways, starting to feel sorry for van Gaal. Saw the video where he was booed off pretty badly and i couldnt help but feel sorry for him. He's tried his best and although he has been an arrogant **** with regards to tactics and everything else, he has done a few positive things like getting us back into the CL at the first attempt and clearing out the deadwood bar Hernandez (Di Maria is deadwood to me not in the sense of quality but rather the fact he did not want to be at United in the first place). However, hes done some terrible things like trimming the squad so much, selling off something like 5 attackers and only bringing 2 in which means we have to rely on a 19 year old up front. He just expected Rooney to fire but sadly hes done.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree tbh! The way the fans are treating LVG now is just disgusting....i mean yeah we shouldn't be happy that we are performing this bad and that the majority of fans think he should leave (me included) but at the same time we have to show some form of respect to Van Gaal, he's doing what he can so there is no need for the absolutely brutal insults.
Skysports just confirmed a press conference was given by chief exec of Bayern and that Ancelloti will be the next manager at Bayern. Pep will go out at the end of the season! Soo.....

Are we going for Pep or? :lol:

P.s. rumours that Mourinho will be favourite to take the Roma job! I guess getting Pep at Old Trafford is seeming like a possibility atm
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by trapking
Skysports just confirmed a press conference was given by chief exec of Bayern and that Ancelloti will be the next manager at Bayern. Pep will go out at the end of the season! Soo.....

Are we going for Pep or? :lol:

P.s. rumours that Mourinho will be favourite to take the Roma job! I guess getting Pep at Old Trafford is seeming like a possibility atm

Pep's going to City, don't kid yourself.
So looks like mourinho,bielsa and giggs are in the running....would you guys take koeman?
Original post by scrawlx101
So looks like mourinho,bielsa and giggs are in the running....would you guys take koeman?

nah i would rather take Pochettino than Koeman....his style is similar to Klopps and Tottenham play very attractive football!
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
Guardiola at City would just kill the league imo. He'll have a blank cheque to bring more world class players to the club and City already have the strongest squad in the league. Pellegrini just cant get them to consistently play to the level that they are capable of. So, if Guardiola moves to City then City will have the strongest squad in the league along with the strongest manager in the league and arguably the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Strongest league, plenty of cash/resource and Guardiola would attract a stronger quality of squad players who want to play for him/win titles.

Being a manager these days is toxic job. No patience and constant pressure from media and fans. LVG is probably surprised how bad Man Utd are at the moment.
Original post by KingKoala
Pep's going to City, don't kid yourself.

he probably is tbh....

if Mourinho takes the Roma job and Pep goes to city looks like we will be stuck with LVG for a while :lol:
I remained hopeful of getting Pep, but yesterday every source said independently that he's City bound, nothing about United bound. In which case I guess we gotta go for Jose.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Honestly think that in this day and age, spmething as trivial as Liverpool getting smashed my Watford could keep LvG his job. Hopefully I hope that isn't the case, as in I hope he wouldn't get the sack regardless of what happened to Liverpool today. It's the sort of reality check we needed though. Liverpool will get a pass though as their manager is so charming, which seems to go on a long way as to who to place the blame on.
Scenes when the league starts catching up on us but its too late to capitalise.

Should be top rn. :frown:
Original post by scrawlx101

Bielsa would be brilliant, sure his teams don't ten to win very much but they are bloody good to watch.

Latest