The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EtherealNymph22
Can we have some proper reasoning for UCL being worthy enough to be mentioned alongside Oxbridge, imperial and LSE other than someone who is studying there, is an alumnus, or is a prospective student.

I'm a Cambridge alumnus and a current Oxford student who thinks UCL is worthy of being top 5, just to dispel your assertion that I might be in any way, shape or form associated with UCL.
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
I'm a Cambridge alumnus and a current Oxford student who thinks UCL is worthy of being top 5, just to dispel your assertion that I might be in any way, shape or form associated with UCL.

Lol it wasn't an assertion at you specifically. Just wanted some unbiased views on it. And you seem to be one of the only non-UCL associated people who believes UCL is worthy of its position.

As I've said before, I actually agree UCL is number 5. But I think it's so far off imperial/LSE and in turn Oxbridge that it shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath.
Why are we so over obsessed with ranking universities? I just don't get it... and it just reminds me of how unhappy I am at my own university :frown:
Lol it wasn't an assertion at you specifically. Just wanted some unbiased views on it. And you seem to be one of the only non-UCL associated people who believes UCL is worthy of its position.

As I've said before, I actually agree UCL is number 5. But I think it's so far off imperial/LSE and in turn Oxbridge that it shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath.

I would even go as far as saying that Imperial shouldn't be spoken of in the same breath as Oxbridge and the LSE.

There is a reason why Oxbridge places are far more coveted than others in the UK, perhaps the world (some might argue for Harvard or MIT etc), and yes UCL and Imperial and perhaps the LSE don't come anywhere near as close.

Oxbridge has and always will be special.
Original post by 408655
Why are we so over obsessed with ranking universities? I just don't get it... and it just reminds me of how unhappy I am at my own university :frown:

Which uni do you go to?
Original post by 408655

Sussex isn't THAT bad. It has a medical school.
Sussex isn't THAT bad. It has a medical school.
It does indeed

But I feel like I want to drop out or transfer because I hate this place so much and I don't feel at home here at all

Though dropping out or transferring is something I'm not able to do at this moment in time
Can we have some proper reasoning for UCL being worthy enough to be mentioned alongside Oxbridge, imperial and LSE other than someone who is studying there, is an alumnus, or is a prospective student.

You realise that UCL has a good number of departments that are literally the best place in the country, Europe and even the world for that particular subject.
Original post by Snufkin
You realise that UCL has a good number of departments that are literally the best place in the country, Europe and even the world for that particular subject.

Which departments/subjects? According to what? Do you study at UCL?
Which departments/subjects? According to what? Do you study at UCL?

The Bartlett
Slade School of Fine Art
Institute of Archaeology
Institute of Education
School of Slavonic and East European Studies
UCL School of Pharmacy
UCL Medical School
UCL Life Sciences
UCL Neuroscience
Department of Science and Technology Studies
Department of Law
Department of Economics
Department of Dutch
Department of Scandinavian Studies
Department of English
Department of History
Department of Hebrew and Jewish Studies

No I don't study at UCL.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Snufkin
The Bartlett
Slade School of Fine Art
Institute of Archaeology
Institute of Education
School of Slavonic and East European Studies
UCL School of Pharmacy
UCL Medical School
UCL Life Sciences
UCL Neuroscience
Department of Science and Technology Studies
Department of Law
Department of Economics
Department of Dutch
Department of Scandinavian Studies
Department of English
Department of History

No I don't study at UCL.

Wut. For All these departments, UCL is the BEST place in the UK to study these subjects? And Europe and the world?!!
Wut. All these places are the BEST place in the UK to study these subjects? And Europe and the world?!!

They're all at least equal to Oxbridge in terms of education, and around 5 are arguably the best places in the world for their subject.
Original post by Snufkin
They're all at least equal to Oxbridge in terms of education, and around 5 are arguably the best places in the world for their subject.

Lol. Which 5? Be specific.

So alllll of those departments are equal to Oxbridge?!

The thing is there are differences between unis for different subjects but the discussion is about the overall prestige and reputation. The sheer amount of people disputing UCL's place on this thread is surely reason enough to not include it amongst Oxbridge, Imperial and LSE.

Ps. Howcome you know so much about UCL?
(edited 8 years ago)

The thing is there are differences between unis for different subjects but the discussion is about the overall prestige and reputation. The sheer amount of people disputing UCL's place on this thread is surely reason enough to not include it amongst Oxbridge, Imperial and LSE.

Ps. Howcome you know so much about UCL?

Because he wants to go to UCL that's why.

The top 5 in list.

Yes, in terms of education.

Why do you think LSE and Imperial are better than UCL? They don't offer most of the subjects UCL do so how can you begin to compare them?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lawliettt
That's the stupidest thing I've read in a while. Manchester computer science is A*AA. Is that a top 4 uni too?

The only people that would attempt to say UCL is better than oxbridge, LSE or imperial are UCL students lol.

I don't tonk it's top 5. Let alone top 4. I'd prefer Warwick and Durham but they aren't sucked off as much because they're outside London unlike UCL. Which is another reason why i think taking reputation into account when ranking is silly. But w.e

For arguments sake, even if it were 5th, the gap in quality between LSE/Imperial and UCL are way bigger than what saying "UCL is only one place behind" implies.

LOL M8 http://www.cs.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/computer-science/?code=00560&pg=3

Entry requirements are AAA for Manchester. Never mentioned UCL above oxbridge or imperal. Just mentioned UCL are 4th place.
Because he wants to go to UCL that's why.

I go to Nord universitet.
Original post by Snufkin
The top 5 in list.

Yes, in terms of education.

Why do you think LSE and Imperial are better than UCL? They don't offer most of the subjects UCL does so how can you begin to compare them?

Nobody is discussing education? You haven't even referred to the source you're getting this information from? You're declaring things as if they are fact. The point of the thread is the general opinion of the top UK universities not according to specific subjects or league tables but overall reputation. It is therefore my opinion that the other four are far superior, and this is shared by many on the thread, and disputed by a few too.
Original post by Terry Tibbs
Why is everything based on how good it is for IB? It's one out of maybe thousands of different jobs that people go into, goodness of unis don't revolve around IB.

IB is the most prestigious grad job you can get, and IBs are known for being elitist when it comes to which unis they hire from.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nobody is discussing education? You haven't even referred to the source you're getting this information from? You're declaring things as if they are fact. The point of the thread is the general opinion of the top UK universities not according to specific subjects or league tables but overall reputation. It is therefore my opinion that the other four are far superior, and this is shared by many on the thread, and disputed by a few too.

Right, so let's forget about standards of education and focus entirely on what average Joe in the street thinks. Great way to rank universities. LSE must be better than UCL because clueless sixth formers on TSR say so. My information comes from knowledge of academia/academics opinions, and REF/high quality of research produced.

Latest

Trending

Trending