The Student Room Group

confronted father who was smacking child in public caused fight

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Inazuma
Which then makes it *not* illegal!
If we're getting precise, mine was the 4th post, and OP's post specifying it was not reasonable were in the 6th and 10th posts. IE after mine. Learn to use your eyeballs.

I don't remember saying it was illegal, I'm stating that IMO it's useless, and there's only one solution.
That's not at all what I was saying. I was saying do taddle, don't make remarks that may get someone else beat up and nothing else achieved.

You are incorrect, get used to it, just because there is a possibility of the prosecution going no further, due to supporting evidence that the action was reasonable discipline, doesn't mean it is legal by default or that that it is no longer to be considered illegal. This is what I'm telling you, yet your fragile intellect can't seem to contain it.

No read what I said again.

I said "most of your pathetic ego-driven arguements" not your first comment.

You never stated it was illegal, true. But I never stated that you stated it was illegal, I was saying it isn't (legally) wrong for the OP to intervene.

That's not what happened, the OP probably asked the man to calm down, for fear of the child's safety, he then assaulted the OP, which then led to the police being involved sharply.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by erika foster
The other day there was quite a disturbing incident, where a man who was or must have been the father of this little girl ,who was about 2 or 3 was smacking it causing it to cry, off course i knew what i was seing was wrong and , perhapsvery foolishly intervened and told the gentleman off which led to this massive fight with him and other members of the public. I was hit in the face by he gentleman which i have now reported but having looked back on this was i wrong to have got involved in other peoples affairs?

Not foolish at all. Proud of you for standing up for that poor child. How can anyone possibly justify smacking a child, especially at that age when it doesn't know the difference between right and wrong?! I wish more people were brave enough to intervene when they see terrible things like this happen. Hopefully the authorities will be alerted now to protect this child if you've reported him hitting you too. People like this are just thugs, there are other non physical ways to teach a child good behaviour and there is no excuse for hitting a child, ever.
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
You are incorrect, get used to it, just because there is a possibility of the prosecution going no further, due to supporting evidence that the action was reasonable discipline, doesn't mean it is legal by default or that that it is no longer to be considered illegal. This is what I'm telling you, yet your fragile intellect can't seem to contain it.

No read what I said again.

I said "most of your pathetic ego-driven arguements" not your first comment.

It's thus a legal action by not being illegal, the fact you keep resorting to personal insults just shows how incapable you are.

The posts I made after that were made in response to comments, wasn't reading the whole thread, so your point is irrelevant.

Afraid I'm bored of speaking to someone incapable of argument without personal insults, and who deliberately ignores and distorts to suit what you think. Remain in your little bubble if you so wish. I've had better debates. 2.5/10. Bye :smile:
Original post by Inazuma
It's thus a legal action by not being illegal, the fact you keep resorting to personal insults just shows how incapable you are.

The posts I made after that were made in response to comments, wasn't reading the whole thread, so your point is irrelevant.

Afraid I'm bored of speaking to someone incapable of argument without personal insults, and who deliberately ignores and distorts to suit what you think. Remain in your little bubble if you so wish. I've had better debates. 2.5/10. Bye :smile:

You resorted to personal insults first, if you use your eyes to read the things posted here for once. Your main focus throughout is trying to discredit me as a person, because I hit a nerve.

Legal: "Permitted by law."

"debate" Lol. I'm simply trying to correct your stubborn ass.

Don't worry, I wasn't trying to entertain you, so I don't really care how bored you are.
(edited 8 years ago)
The other day there was quite a disturbing incident, where a man who was or must have been the father of this little girl ,who was about 2 or 3 was smacking it causing it to cry, off course i knew what i was seing was wrong and , perhapsvery foolishly intervened and told the gentleman off which led to this massive fight with him and other members of the public. I was hit in the face by he gentleman which i have now reported but having looked back on this was i wrong to have got involved in other peoples affairs?

Sigh. This woman is a troll. She put loads of posts up on other threads saying she is a 40 year old woman. Then said on a recent thread her birth date is 1986.

Don't you mean....

Smacking her*
Causing her*

That child is a person not a thing.
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Don't you mean....

Smacking her*
Causing her*

That child is a person not a thing.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that was odd.
I'm going to put it down to the OP not speaking fluent English.
Reply 27
http://www.protectingchildren.org.uk/cp-topics/disciplining/smacking-assault/

It is in fact illegal unless you can prove it was reasonable to the court.

Sounds like you are defending the right to abuse a child in public.

The fact that you think embarrassment is justified means to assault someone reveals your true nature.

Nearly.
The court has to prove it was UNreasonable. You are under no burden to prove anything.

Smacking kids isnt wrong. Not smacking them is wrong.

Spare the rod, spoil the child.
Original post by Apollyon.
Smacking kids isnt wrong. Not smacking them is wrong.

Spare the rod, spoil the child.

No.
Original post by JC.
Nearly.
The court has to prove it was UNreasonable. You are under no burden to prove anything.

The court doesn't prove or disprove anything, they are supposed to be unbiased. They are supposed to look at the evidence, and decide whether or not it was unlawful.
I realise people are innocent until proven guilty, but all I meant was, if there is evidence of this father being abusive, the father will need evidence in defence of that claim, that it was actually reasonable discipline.

The person I was arguing with said it was "not illegal". Implying that the you'd have no right to prosecute someone who just beat a child.
The law says otherwise.
(edited 8 years ago)
This is tough. Initially I was going to say that there is no right or wrong here. You acted with good intentions and that's very noble. I make it a point not to get involved in other people's situations (no matter how disturbing or wrong they might be) because people are volatile, dangerous, aggressive and violent. I would not risk my safety to help others. It may be considered selfish or cowardly, but we're living in dangerous times and I prefer to stay under the radar and mind my own business. That's self-preservation and there's nothing wrong with that.

Even though I wouldn't have done what you did, I still think it was the right thing to do. You had the chance to do the right thing and help out a fellow human being who was being savagely beaten and abused by an evil monster, and you took that opportunity and I commend you for that. I wish someone like you would have intervened and told my parents off for all the times they savagely beat me up and abused me. You put yourself in harm's way for the wellbeing of another person, and to let the abuser know that his behaviour is wrong. That's very noble. You did the right thing, that was a good deed. You weren't wrong to get involved. Reckless, perhaps. But not wrong.
Original post by acupofgreentea
No.

ITT TSR users give no justification whatsoever for their beliefs

It?

But no, you did the right thing imo. Good people get the ****ty deal sometimes.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Apollyon.
ITT TSR users give no justification whatsoever for their beliefs

Disciplining your child with physical harm will cause them to associate getting someone to do what you want with violence and they will carry that association on with them throughout life.

There.
Reply 35
The court doesn't prove or disprove anything, they are supposed to be unbiased. They are supposed to look at the evidence, and decide whether or not it was unlawful.
I realise people are innocent until proven guilty, but all I meant was, if there is evidence of this father being abusive, the father will need evidence in defence of that claim, that it was actually reasonable discipline.

The person I was arguing with said it was "not illegal". Implying that the you'd have no right to prosecute someone who just beat a child.
The law says otherwise.

Substitue the word "court" for "crown" then.
Smacking a child is not in itself illegal. It would be up to the crown to determine that it was unreasonable force which is very grey.

I think the lesson you should take away from this is unless you fancy enduring another beating keep yourself out of other folks business.
Original post by JC.
Smacking a child is not in itself illegal. It would be up to the crown to determine that it was unreasonable force which is very grey.

I think the lesson you should take away from this is unless you fancy enduring another beating keep yourself out of other folks business.

Does this apply just to kids, or should we "keep out of other folks business" for any beatings we see being dished out in public?
You could have called in the Police or the children's protection officers.
Original post by JC.

No, I think you should substitute court for prosecution or defence.
Court: "a body of people presided over by a judge, judges, or magistrate, and acting as a tribunal in civil and criminal cases."

I'm too tired to argue, I just think of it this way, if the OP prosecuted the father, the prosecution wouldn't be ignored without first seeing all the evidence and coming to a lawful conclusion.
If it was legal to smack your child, the claim would be ignored.

In this case if the OP said to the police, 'I saw a parent lightly slapping their child who then got into a tantrum, so I intervened' yeah, I understand that it would not be a severe enough a case to warrant prosecution (or intervention).
(edited 8 years ago)
So what I was smacked as a kid and turned out fine. You have no idea what the child did or how hard he was actually smacking them (Or, more likely you're just making this up).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending