The Student Room Group

Why are there no Male colleges?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by enaayrah
It's funny because the all female college I've got an offer from only makes me feel more empowered as a female, to be ambitious and dream big! :smile:

Are you suggesting that I was trying to say you shouldn't feel that way? Your statement seems irrelevant.
Reply 61
It's funny because the all female college I've got an offer from only makes me feel more empowered as a female, to be ambitious and dream big! :smile:

Me, basically :smile:

I'm not sure if I'd still be living with my parents if I chose to apply to a mixed college instead of an all female

Would you not wish the same thing for a male student who would feel empowered by going to an all-men college?

If you say that a few all-female colleges are good, would you be okay with having an all-male college as well?
Because traditionally they were all exclusively male, and even now there's a gender imbalance in top professions
Original post by Zacken
Would you not wish the same thing for a male student who would feel empowered by going to an all-men college?

If you say that a few all-female colleges are good, would you be okay with having an all-male college as well?

I think that what she means is, her parents would not be happy with her going to Cambridge to a mixed sex college. Because there is an alternative, she is able to go to Cambridge.

I have never heard of any males parents forbidding them from going to a mixed sex college (not to say it doesn't happen mind you). Certainly, in more traditional cultures, it's always females that find they have to compromise. Therefore an all male
College would be solving a problem that doesn't really exist.
Me, basically :smile:

I'm not sure if I'd still be living with my parents if I chose to apply to a mixed college instead of an all female

I never considered this! This is a really good point.
Original post by Zacken

Did your parents mind that you were applying to a mixed?

Has anyone ever made you feel that you're not worthy of a high class education and career because you're male?
The empowerment came in after my parents/relatives delivered a very hurtful line: 'Women aren't supposed to aim high; those who act too clever always end up ruined'.

I would support all male colleges if they decided to make some of course.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MCmnbvgyuio
Are you suggesting that I was trying to say you shouldn't feel that way? Your statement seems irrelevant.

Okay :smile:
Original post by acupofgreentea
I never considered this! This is a really good point.

It's something a fair few of girls from my background have to go through
It's something a fair few of girls from my background have to go through

I feel a bit ignorant now, gosh. Thank you for enlightening me about it, though! :biggrin:
Original post by acupofgreentea
I feel a bit ignorant now, gosh. Thank you for enlightening me about it, though! :biggrin:

Haha I could write a book for you if you want :mmm:
I believe this was due to the gender imbalance in recent decades. I remember my tutor telling me once that in the 1950s Cambridge was the most male-dominated university in the country and that they built a female-only college (New Hall; now known as Murray Edwards) to address that imbalance a bit. Even today Cambridge is slightly more male than female (or 50:50, I don't remember) despite the fact that a greater proportion of university students in the country are female (I do not know if (m)any other universities are more male-dominated today). It may have something to do with the disproportionate number of STEM students here compared to other universities.

I am not sure what the net effect of making all colleges co-ed today would be. Girls when pooled are obviously more likely to be pooled to one of these all-female colleges, so what could happen is that the gender balance is more equal amongst co-ed colleges. Alternatively, it could just reduce the number of girls entered into the university. But I don't really see the harm in keeping it as it is to be honest...
Reply 71
By the way, more men apply to Cambridge than women (54.8% 2014), and despite a slightly lower success rate, this still leads to more men being accepted than women (52.7% 2014). So overall the gender imbalance occurs at the application stage, ie before they get to Cambridge.

Possibly due to a STEM bias in applicants...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 72
I was told by one of the fellows at Newnham that their philosophy is that as soon as an equal number of women as men get into Cambridge overall, they would become mixed. The reason for starting women-only colleges in the first place was to try to give women more equal representation in the university - since this has not been reached yet, it is only fair that they remain women-only.

Most Oxbridge colleges (including mine) are still very male-dominated, with male-only drinking societies and sports teams often displaying very 'laddish' behaviour which could also put a lot of women off.

Please don't try and start the argument that this is disadvantaging men, because you sound ridiculously ignorant.
Reply 73

I would support all male colleges if they decided to make some of course.

I'm not trying to belittle your circumstances at all and I do acknowledge your hardships. I'm just saying that it's not just women who go through that. 3/4 all female colleges are a bit too much. I'm sure the university can accomodate females with circumstances such as you describe with fewer all-female colleges.

We hear lots of "I've been pooled to a single sex college" that says that whilst the demand is there for all-female colleges, the supply exceeds it. Market imbalance/failure.
Original post by Zacken
I'm not trying to belittle your circumstances at all and I do acknowledge your hardships. I'm just saying that it's not just women who go through that. 3/4 all female colleges are a bit too much. I'm sure the university can accomodate females with circumstances such as you describe with fewer all-female colleges.

We hear lots of "I've been pooled to a single sex college" that says that whilst the demand is there for all-female colleges, the supply exceeds it. Market imbalance/failure.

Are the female colleges hurting you in any shape or form?

3/4 colleges aren't a lot compared to the 31 (including mature) overall. How much fewer can you get? Only two admit under 21s

Isn't it a positive that another college is able to accommodate a bright female who would've otherwise missed out on the university? And in turn, promote equal numbers of male and female students?

The colleges still run though if I'm not wrong? And have plenty in funds. There are still women studying in them. I daresay few being pooled there complain about it being all female. Your point about market imbalance is irrelevant.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
By the way, more men apply to Cambridge than women (54.8% 2014), and despite a slightly lower success rate, this still leads to more men being accepted than women (52.7% 2014). So overall the gender imbalance occurs at the application stage, ie before they get to Cambridge.

Possibly due to a STEM bias in applicants...?

Posted from TSR Mobile

When the number of female applicants is the same as male, (and consequently students) that's when all female colleges should come to an end :yep:
Reply 76

Good points. Fair enough.
Reply 77
To answer my own question about STEM affecting the gender imbalance:

* Arts & Humanities at Cambridge are 58.1% female (2014 acceptances)
* Sciences are 36.8% female
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 78
Original post by ser00
I was told by one of the fellows at Newnham that their philosophy is that as soon as an equal number of women as men get into Cambridge overall, they would become mixed. The reason for starting women-only colleges in the first place was to try to give women more equal representation in the university - since this has not been reached yet, it is only fair that they remain women-only.

How is that "fair"? giving women extra support so they can go to Cambridge is not "fair".
Reply 79
Original post by cubic^3
How is that "fair"? giving women extra support so they can go to Cambridge is not "fair".

Oh p*** off. What's not fair is that women are still discouraged from applying to educational institutions that are still seeped in sexism, despite being world-class for education. While Oxford and Cambridge are amazingly progressive in some ways, they can also be ridiculously backwards in others, so I can guarantee to you that women do not have an easier time getting in.

Here's just the first 4 results that came up out of 71,000 when you google 'Oxbridge sexism' just to give you a flavour

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/10449698/Oxford-University-students-branded-sexist-and-repugnant-for-spoof-hunt-with-women-dressed-as-foxes.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/student/oxford-university-suffering-groping-and-sexual-harassment-epidemic-college-head-warns-10249811.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2614777/Hundreds-female-Cambridge-students-say-theyve-raped-sexually-assaulted-none-went-police.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/student/istudents/is-oxford-university-a-training-ground-for-misogyny-8904585.html

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending