The Student Room Group

Why did you choose to study your chosen course/subject?

Hi.

I'm currently writing a report about why people choose certain courses/subjects to study. So it would be great if you could first say what you're currently studying and then tell me why you chose to study it.

Also what is it about that subject that you really like and enjoy?

The more personal and detailed the better.

Thank you in advance. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
BSc Health Sciences. I chose it because I know i would enjoy it :smile:
Medicine - my parents were the reason but I ended up loving it anyways so meh :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Chinese with Japanese. I've always been into languages, but wanted to do something more out there than just the bog standard French and German that most people do when they do languages at uni. I also want to be able to speak as many languages as possible. I'm already at 5, including my native English
Reply 4
Applied for Maths for the following reasons:
-very flexible degree
-really interesting
-wide variety of transferable skills, so its a very employable degree
Reply 5
Original post by mkap
BSc Health Sciences. I chose it because I know i would enjoy it :smile:

So what is it about health sciences that you like and enjoy?
Reply 6
Biology - I chose biology because I wanted a career in the either the field of virology or something relating to animals. Biology gave me both the microbiology knowledge I needed for virology and the ecology side I needed for working with animals.
Reply 7
Original post by rachellyh
Medicine - my parents were the reason but I ended up loving it anyways so meh :tongue:

So what do you love about studying medicine?
Reply 8
Original post by kkboyk
Applied for Maths for the following reasons:
-very flexible degree
-really interesting
-wide variety of transferable skills, so its a very employable degree

So what is it about Maths that you enjoy?
I've chosen to study MA Medieval Studies because I love history and literature and for the last few years I found myself more drawn and obsessed about the medieval era.

I can't answer why I studied my BA because I don't know why myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by mrvegman
So what is it about health sciences that you like and enjoy?

The degree is mainly biology with a bit of psychology. I enjoy those subjects. It will also take me to the career i would like in the future (to become a clinical scientist)
Hi.

I'm currently writing a report about why people choose certain courses/subjects to study. So it would be great if you could first say what you're currently studying and then tell me why you chose to study it. Also what is it about that subject that you really like and enjoy?

The more personal and detailed, the better.

Thank you in advance. :smile:

I'm currently studying triple maths and physics in order to do computer science at uni (so you could talk about people studying certain things for the future). I've chosen computer science because I just find so many aspects of it interesting, and I know job opportunities are there. More money in it than most subjects :biggrin:
Reply 12
So what is it about Maths that you enjoy?

The process of finding a problem. Also love the moments I randomly stumble onto a solution e.g on a bus when thinking hard about the problem.
Reply 13
Original post by Spock's Socks
Biology - I chose biology because I wanted a career in the either the field of virology or something relating to animals. Biology gave me both the microbiology knowledge I needed for virology and the ecology side I needed for working with animals.

So what is it about studying biology that you really enjoy?
Reply 14
Original post by ComputerMaths97
I'm currently studying triple maths and physics in order to do computer science at uni (so you could talk about people studying certain things for the future). I've chosen computer science because I just find so many aspects of it interesting, and I know job opportunities are there. More money in it than most subjects :biggrin:

What aspects of computer science do you find interesting?
Reply 15
Original post by donutaud15
I've chosen to study MA Medieval Studies because I love history and literature and for the last few years I found myself more drawn and obsessed about the medieval era.

I can't answer why I studied my BA because I don't know why myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interesting. So what is it about the medieval era that you find so fascinating?
Reply 16
Original post by mkap
The degree is mainly biology with a bit of psychology. I enjoy those subjects. It will also take me to the career i would like in the future (to become a clinical scientist)

So why do you want to become a clinical scientist?
Reply 17
Original post by super_kawaii
Chinese with Japanese. I've always been into languages, but wanted to do something more out there than just the bog standard French and German that most people do when they do languages at uni. I also want to be able to speak as many languages as possible. I'm already at 5, including my native English

Wow, impressive. I'm currently failing at learning Italian. So what is it about languages that you find so interesting?
Wow, impressive. I'm currently failing at learning Italian. So what is it about languages that you find so interesting?

I've always loved travelling, and being able to speak the language of the country you're visiting is always helpful, as it enables you to get more out of your experience. You can eat more authentic food, visit more places off the beaten track and get a more authentic experience of the country you visit if you speak the local language. Only a small minority of the world's population speaks English, so being a monolingual English speaker isn't actually that useful, despite what a lot of English speakers think.

It's also a very satisfying experience when you can communicate effectively with a native speaker of a language you're learning. I noticed this especially on my year abroad in China, where no one can speak a decent level of English, so I was forced to speak in Mandarin everyday and as a result my speaking level improved loads. I haven't lost that skill as I went back to China last summer and my Chinese was still good and I was able to have normal conversations like this with Chinese people. As a result I have quite a few good friends in China and I talk with them regularly to keep my language going.
Biochemistry... because I enjoy learning about respiration, metabolism, DNA, photosynthesis and many other things in loads of depth. It's the only academic subject that I find really intriguing. .

Latest

Trending

Trending