The Student Room Group

Where do 19 year old girls make friends when not at uni or college - on a gap year?

I'm a 19 year old girl in glasgow and don't really know where to make new friends. Don't get me wrong I have a gd social life but my schol friends have new uni friends but because this is my second gap year I just have school friends and I'm bored during the week if I'm not working and when they have exams and loads of work they don't go out as muchThanks any advice appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Daffodill
I'm a 19 year old girl in glasgow and don't really know where to make new friends. Don't get me wrong I have a gd social life but my schol friends have new uni friends but because this is my second gap year I just have school friends and I'm bored during the week if I'm not working and when they have exams and loads of work they don't go out as muchThanks any advice appreciated :smile:

Do you know someone at uni? you could hang around and make other friends with them.
Reply 2
Original post by 13ecky
Hey! I'm on a gap year too, going to uni in september. Personally, I made a lot of new friends by getting a job at a supermarket. Do you have any work colleagues that you can hang out with?

Alternatively, I'd definitely suggest going travelling if you have the time, that's what I'm doing in April (on my own bc I have no one to go with - sad times). If you stay in hostels it's really easy to meet loads of different people similar in age and to make friends that you can travel with. So, if you can, I'd definitely recommend it! :smile:

Hey how did you organise your trip?

I want to go travelling but none of my friends would be up for it. I'm reluctant to go alone so that's the only thing stopping me. :/
I would suggest taking the leap and going on your own! Although you might be reluctant to go on your own, I can guarantee that you will come back with a load more friends, and be so much more mature and experienced.

I definitely don't think you would regret it. Believe in yourself!
You don't need friends at every point in your life. My suggestion is to invest the year in yourself and no one else. When you start uni, the only alone time you'll get is to study.

Quick Reply

Latest