The Student Room Group

Has anyone ever been abroad themselves?

Hey everyone!

This year I have zero plans in terms of going on holiday with anyone. Initially, one of my friends & I were going to book somewhere for a week but she realised she won't have enough money. Also my other friends are either very busy with their own life (babies and homes to pay for) or they're just very fickle and never go through with plans.

Problem is, I really want to go somewhere and I will have enough money, plus I dread to think of time off work without any plans! Has anyone been abroad themselves and if so, how did you find it?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DanielleT192
Hey everyone!

This year I have zero plans in terms of going on holiday with anyone. Initially, one of my friends & I were going to book somewhere for a week but she realised she won't have enough money. Also my other friends are either very busy with their own life (babies and homes to pay for) or they're just very fickle and never go through with plans.

Problem is, I really want to go somewhere and I will have enough money, plus I dread to think of time off work without any plans! Has anyone been abroad themselves and if so, how did you find it?

Yeah its fun, for me I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had gone with a friend to the places I explored alone (as so much of the enjoyment is from sharing) but I still would definitely prefer to go away than not. Usually meet people when you are travelling anyway - I have been hostelling in France and Spain alone.
Reply 2
Hey everyone!

I went to India with my friends
Original post by jamestg
I went to India with my friends

I think OP means by themselves, rather than has anyone themselves been abroad.

I personally don't see anything wrong with it, I would definitely travel by myself. If its something you want to do just put yourself out there and do it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheRabbit
Yeah its fun, for me I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had gone with a friend to the places I explored alone (as so much of the enjoyment is from sharing) but I still would definitely prefer to go away than not. Usually meet people when you are travelling anyway - I have been hostelling in France and Spain alone.

Yeah I totally get you. The big worry for me is feeling that way doing it alone, although i wouldn't even mind a few days away for a city break since there's always something to do as well and won't think about it as much.
Hey everyone!

I just came back from visiting Madeira on my own. I went for 6 days and stayed in a hostel, which I think is the best option if you're travelling alone but don't want to be completely alone. It gives you a chance to meet other people who are also travelling alone. I also feel like the hostel environment allows for you to get to know other people also who could be travelling with other people.

It was nice to get away but like the other person have said it also would have been better to have someone to share some experiences with but it's not the end of the world.

But by the second day I was sharing a room with this really friendly German girl who I ended up spending a lot of time with during the last few days of my stay. And through her I met another guy who was staying at a different hostel. All three of us went on a hike together and then hung out in the sun on my last full day on the island. It was much better with the company! But I also enjoyed a lot of things on my own, going to see places I wanted to but they had already necessarily seen... trying new things etc.

I think it would be a good experience to have, there's no point in missing an opportunity to travel just because there's no one to go with. That's what I told myself when I booked my trip, it was during a week break from university and all my other friends had plans but I wanted to go abroad... so I did. I was anxious about it at first but I'm glad I did it ((:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by dean01234
I think OP means by themselves, rather than has anyone themselves been abroad.

I personally don't see anything wrong with it, I would definitely travel by myself. If its something you want to do just put yourself out there and do it.

Whoops, should've read the whole post.

I also don't see anything wrong with it, in some ways it's better.
Original post by beaverhausen
I just came back from visiting Madeira on my own. I went for 6 days and stayed in a hostel, which I think is the best option if you're travelling alone but don't want to be completely alone. It gives you a chance to meet other people who are also travelling alone. I also feel like the hostel environment allows for you to get to know other people also who could be travelling with other people.

It was nice to get away but like the other person have said it also would have been better to have someone to share some experiences with but it's not the end of the world.

But by the second day I was sharing a room with this really friendly German girl who I ended up spending a lot of time with during the last few days of my stay. And through her I met another guy who was staying at a different hostel. All three of us went on a hike together and then hung out in the sun on my last full day on the island. It was much better with the company! But I also enjoyed a lot of things on my own, going to see places I wanted to but they had already necessarily seen... trying new things etc.

I think it would be a good experience to have, there's no point in missing an opportunity to travel just because there's no one to go with. That's what I told myself when I booked my trip, it was during a week break from university and all my other friends had plans but I wanted to go abroad... so I did. I was anxious about it at first but I'm glad I did it ((:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds great actually. What are hostels like to stay in? I have only been to a handful of places a road and they have always been hotels, apartments or apart hotels.

I'm not necessarily concerned about the loneliness side of things. I am quite happy with being on my own for a short period of time which is why I wouldn't mind going a city break, however my biggest concern is my safety. Do you have any tips on being safe and how many times have you travelled abroad yourself?
That sounds great actually. What are hostels like to stay in? I have only been to a handful of places a road and they have always been hotels, apartments or apart hotels.

I'm not necessarily concerned about the loneliness side of things. I am quite happy with being on my own for a short period of time which is why I wouldn't mind going a city break, however my biggest concern is my safety. Do you have any tips on being safe and how many times have you travelled abroad yourself?

You usually share a room with people, I was in a 8 bed dorm but given the time of year I went I only ever shared the room with 2 people other people at one time. There's always people coming and going so you meet all sorts of people. You share the bathroom and a kitchen.

I was probably at one of the nicer hostels, it was cleaned daily, we got complimentary cake every morning and the breakfast was decent. There was even a communal lounge area in the attic, with a TV and bean bags it was very nice.

Some hostels aren't that great, one of the people I met whilst I was abroad was staying at a different hostel and said it was rather sub par in comparison to the one I was staying at. So if you do decide to stay at a hostel, look around and read reviews before you choose one.

I was there for 6 days, and whilst I don't mind my own company I think 6 days of solitude for me personally, wasn't nice.

Tips for being safe, I'd say read reviews about the place you're going to on trip advisor. Sometimes there are comments regarding that or you could even start a thread on there. Do your own research to find out the crime rate, I did so and was fortunate that madeira wasn't bad.

I'm on my phone so can't see what gender you are, but some places you should generally avoid going alone to if you're a female. Such as south Africa, some arab countries.. mostly because if men see you as a single foreign woman they might try and take advantage of that.

Though I have heard stories of women who had no problems visiting those places on their own, but it's better to be cautious.

Don't travel too late at night especially if you're unfamiliar with the area, and it's an isolated/quiet area. Don't keep all your money on you at one time in case you do get mugged.

Really, it's the same safety practices you would do if you were travelling with other people. Just be extra vigilant but still have fun.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I haven't traveled before. Period. But based on what i've heard from my friends, families, etc etc. They said a successful trip is when you meet some people. Connection is always a big factor I must say. If I will be given a chance to travel, I would travel alone. Of course I would feel sad that I'm going to experience something I would rather experience with someone, but, that is the adventure of it, don't you think? I am planning on studying abroad so I guess what @beaverhausen had mentioned, I would be experiencing them as well. Just a little different in the environment I guess. Where do you want to go, btw?
I've been abroad several times. I'm a fully fledged backpacker.

If you need help/advice/support >>>> I'm your man.

All my trips have been solo.
Hey everyone!

Just go with it! There is thrilling satisfaction when you travel alone. Trust me. It is great when you're with your friends or family but being alone in a different environment is exciting! You should try it :smile:
And you should try doing some charity work while you travel. My cousin told me it feels great when you help people in a different country. He even told me it was enlightening. So why not?
Original post by Age Quod Agis
I've been abroad several times. I'm a fully fledged backpacker.

If you need help/advice/support >>>> I'm your man.

All my trips have been solo.

That is nice, man!
I envy you. What countries have you been to? I think you should do volunteer abroad, too.
(edited 8 years ago)
I went to Australia by myself, to travel for several months. I met loads of cool people!
Reply 15
I think you should go abroad alone, it will be a great adventure!
I've never gone alone (always with family or friends), but plan to:smile:
Original post by MissDetermined
I went to Australia by myself, to travel for several months. I met loads of cool people!

This is what I'm talking about. I want to experience this too. I have never been to a different country alone. I want to study abroad but that is a different story. Do you mind sharing a little bit of your experience in Australia?
Original post by lo24la
I think you should go abroad alone, it will be a great adventure!
I've never gone alone (always with family or friends), but plan to:smile:

I agree with you! A different adventure. Meeting hips of people in a foreign country. Imagine that! What country do you want to go first to, alone? Do you want just travel or volunteer to some kind of charity work?
I went to a conference in Berlin for a few days.
I've been abroad with just my sisters before, when we were 15, 14 and 13. But no I've never been solo but I want to when I'm older.

Quick Reply

Latest