The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Hello everyone. I am also one of applicants and I am also in the "under consideration by degree committee" stage. If you wouldn't mind, there were 3 questions that I am really curious about the process:

1) Are the lucky applicants who receive their offer in February necessarily those applicants who submitted their application earliest?

2) Does "under consideration by BoGS" mean that the applicant will "most probably" be accepted? (Of course I know that there is no 100% certainty). Excuse me if this question is already answered.

3) I see that some people received offers at the beginnig of February in my field. From this information, can we surmise that my department has started the evaluation & offer process and that in a few days/weeks I am likely to receive an offer?

Thank you very much in advance.
(edited 8 years ago)
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 1381
Original post by vobll
Hello everyone. I am also one of applicants and I am also in the "under consideration by degree committee" stage. If you wouldn't mind, there were 3 questions that I am really curious about the process:

1) Are the lucky applicants who receive their offer in February necessarily those applicants who submitted their application earliest?

2) Does "under consideration by BoGS" mean that the applicant will "most probably" be accepted? (Of course I know that there is no 100% certainty). Excuse me if this question is already answered.

3) I see that some people received offers at the beginnig of February in my field. From this information, can we surmise that my department has started the evaluation & offer process and that in a few days/weeks I am likely to receive an offer?

Thank you very much in advance.

1. No
2. Yes
3. Maybe, maybe not

1 & 3 - it's possible your department is one of the ones that gives offers to outstanding applicants earlier but leaves most of the decisions until they have examined all completed applications. This means that a Feb offer may be a later but excellent applicant and that earlier/other applicants may need to wait till march or April or possibly even later for a decision.
Reply 1382
Original post by sj27
1. No
2. Yes
3. Maybe, maybe not

1 & 3 - it's possible your department is one of the ones that gives offers to outstanding applicants earlier but leaves most of the decisions until they have examined all completed applications. This means that a Feb offer may be a later but excellent applicant and that earlier/other applicants may need to wait till march or April or possibly even later for a decision.

Thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 1383
So today's big day for history applicants, but apparently only from overseas:
http://www.hist.cam.ac.uk/directory/meetings/lent-term-2016

3 February (Wed): CISS/Cambridge Trusts/Gates (ROW) Ranking Committee (starts 2.15),14:00, Boardroom

Then, the second round on 17 February, for UK-EU students:

17 February (Wed): AHRC/CHESS/AMR Ranking Committee (starts 2.15), 14:00, Boardroom

omg :cry2:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Josb

3 February (Wed): CISS/Cambridge Trusts/Gates (ROW) Ranking Committee (starts 2.15),14:00, Boardroom

17 February (Wed): AHRC/CHESS/AMR Ranking Committee (starts 2.15), 14:00, Boardroom

I guess good luck to all! :smile:
Original post by yldolce
Received MPhil Economics offer a week ago

Congratulations! Would you mind sharing your profile?
I'm at BoGS now, my status finally changed after 2.5 months. This is development studies. Does that mean I'm likely to get an offer?
[QUOTE=elenahoyy;62460747]I'm at BoGS now, my status finally changed after 2.5 months. This is development studies. Does that mean I'm likely to get an offer?

Most likely. Congrds and see you at Cambridge in October, THIS YEAR.

Do you require funding from Cam Trust?
Original post by Camilli
I believe that they also changed the grading system, to give a bit more definition in the 2:1/low 1st range. For my MSt, they're still using the old scale since the course handbook was published about 15 minutes before the faculty adopted the new regime. So 67 still counts as Leave to Continue, 70 = High Pass, etc.

I've just checked the handbook of the MPhil course that I took, and it's been updated with the new grading scale, with 70 as the Leave to Continue mark. I suppose since they set the pass mark at 60, they obviously felt that 67 was too low... Interesting though.
Original post by gutenberg
I've just checked the handbook of the MPhil course that I took, and it's been updated with the new grading scale, with 70 as the Leave to Continue mark. I suppose since they set the pass mark at 60, they obviously felt that 67 was too low... Interesting though.

Very interesting indeed. Do current students (leave to continue) have an advantage over external applicants?
Original post by Aceadria
Very interesting indeed. Do current students (leave to continue) have an advantage over external applicants?

I don't know what they set as the standard for external applicants, since most universities wouldn't have 75 as the mark required for a distinction. On the website it just says 'good marks' in a recognised master's degree is expected, so my feeling is that they probably ask for a high merit at minimum - which is effectively what 70 is on a Cambridge MPhil. So I don't know if it's an advantage actually... It's all a bit unnecessarily confusing imo!
Original post by baia_teo
Just checked account and it states that I'm accepted at Fitzwilliam

However I still need to fulfill conditions

I'm Fitz too :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BSDladla
Original post by elenahoyy
I'm at BoGS now, my status finally changed after 2.5 months. This is development studies. Does that mean I'm likely to get an offer?

Most likely. Congrds and see you at Cambridge in October, THIS YEAR.

Do you require funding from Cam Trust?

EEK exciting! Nope I didn't apply for funding. Anyone knows how long it take for it to change from BoGS to an approved offer??
I don't know what they set as the standard for external applicants, since most universities wouldn't have 75 as the mark required for a distinction. On the website it just says 'good marks' in a recognised master's degree is expected, so my feeling is that they probably ask for a high merit at minimum - which is effectively what 70 is on a Cambridge MPhil. So I don't know if it's an advantage actually... It's all a bit unnecessarily confusing imo!

I see. But do you think there's an overall advantage of having done an MPhil at Cambridge when applying for a PhD, or does admissions view them as equal?

(I understand this is difficult to answer, but I'm hoping someone has some anecdotal or other information on this).
Original post by elenahoyy
EEK exciting! Nope I didn't apply for funding. Anyone knows how long it take for it to change from BoGS to an approved offer??

Really depends. Personally, it took one working day but I got my offer back in October. For others it's taken more than a few weeks.
Original post by Josb

I wish my Faculty published this information. And Oxford! I hate being in the dark.

Still, as best I know, the new 70 doesn't raise the bar for staying on-- it represents the same quality work that the old 67 did.

That's for internal Cambridge grading, obviously. I would imagine that they will translate scales appropriately for external applicants, who may well be scrutinized a little more closely in any case.
Original post by sj27
Nope. Most people don't put their degrees on a business card at all, and those who put "Oxon" or "Cantab" afterwards when they do, just look desperate to impress.

I'd often thought it would be fun to put that when signing into a hotel-- especially in Germany, where they take all that stuff much more seriously.
Original post by tj23
The BoGS has a list on the admissions statistics: http://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/admissions-statistics

I don't know what would be the way to find it on their website but googling, e.g. 'graduate admissions statistics cambridge' gives you what you're looking for. It's worth checking some of the older statistics (e.g. 2013/14) as well because they have a more detailed breakdown regarding first choice/second choice, offered/confirmed places or what's their position in the pooling algorithm

Is there information about on how the split goes between internal and external candidates? After all, it may sound encouraging that a college takes 90% of the accepted candidates that ask for it, but if all but one of them did their undergrad or MPhil at the college, that doesn't leave much room for outsiders.
Original post by Camilli
I'd often thought it would be fun to put that when signing into a hotel-- especially in Germany, where they take all that stuff much more seriously.

This is very true. In Switzerland, titles are also very common (but more so on the Swiss-German side). I was recently in Vienna and there people have put their titles on the door (e.g. Hermann Schmitt, MSc)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending