The Student Room Group

Calling all Londoners

Scroll to see replies

Original post by queen-bee
You should move here? I hear Birmingham is grim?... Do you really want to be living in a grim place?

Birmingham is getting better! Come up here if London is too much :h:
Can we all agree that north London is best and south London is worst?
Original post by jedanselemyia

really? im consdering brumville..
Original post by trustmeimlying1
really? im consdering brumville..

Yeah, it depends where you live. Like stay away from Handsworth lol
But the center and other parts are nice :h:
Like you get the big city vibe but it's nowhere as vibrant as London.
Yeah, it depends where you live. Like stay away from Handsworth lol
But the center and other parts are nice :h:
Like you get the big city vibe but it's nowhere as vibrant as London.

yeh dont sell it very well p

but yeh If I go youre my friend so be ready kid.
Reply 125
Original post by Yellow 03
Don't panic. :smile: You can find much cheaper places if you look a bit harder, and if you steer clear of agents - I have never paid an admin fee in my life for any property I rented, neither have many of my friends. Property is expensive but there are many opportunities, and many people who live in a shared flat at half the price you site above. You have to know where and how to look. For example, if you look to rent somewhere on the central line it will be way cheaper than if you look on the piccadilly line, etc. Unfortunately you can't avoid the deposit and the transport costs are a killer so it's better not to commute very far.

I thought you were going to be in Yorkshire though, rather than London? Feel free to give me a shout if not. :smile:

I was just looking at jobs. I thought £25K was a good salary, but it's not enough for central London...:colonhash:
Original post by trustmeimlying1
yeh dont sell it very well p

but yeh If I go youre my friend so be ready kid.

Sure, sure :h:
Original post by Lawliettt
Can we all agree that north London is best and south London is worst?

No all of london is a chithole. Move to hertfordshire

Posted from TSR Mobile
London's a hellhole. So glad I got out of there.
Original post by hoping4Astars
This isn't really true. There are virtually no more run down flats ands finitely no slums in tower hamlets anymore. Ever since the olympics, the run down council flats have been replaced with new better ones and some of the better quality old ones still remain. It is definitely not disgusting or decrepit anymore. It is still poor but people still have a decent standard of living there.

I went there a few days ago, the east end is truly third world.
Original post by Diabolus
No all of london is a chithole. Move to hertfordshire

Posted from TSR Mobile

Herts is ok

but Surrey is better.

Bucks is good but the people have no class
London is a hell hole. So glad I left.
and another thing

People talk about London's amazing pubs (Seven stars off Fleet Street, with their cat who wears an Elizabethan ruff), as much as I like cats, it's all soul-less hipsterism. I'm not much a of a drinker I must say, but I would be far more impressed by a rustic tavern, full of fisherman and tweed wearing farmers, where the cider is made from apples the landlord grew on his own orchard and the beer was created in the good man's garage which had been converted to a microbrewery.
Yeah, I love the multicultural vibe too, especially right before 9am and after 5pm.

Haha so true. During rush hour, London goes from minority white to majority white.
Where I live is pretty boring but I love Central London to pieces mainly because of the food and how there's always something to do.

And the nightlife is pretty amazing..
I like walking around Kensington, around the RAH, then around Holborn and Covent Garden... Just generally I like exploring it!
But my area is really quiet... There is a Holiday Inn though so..?
Edware Road is a dump. I've been there a handful of times, for parties and skateboarding, and all I've seen is a woman getting punched in the face and a guy bleeding (to death) in front of my eyes. It's the only place in London I don't feel "safe", bar Hackney.

I'm a Londoner, born and bred. Yes I do think it's one of the best cities in Europe, but I've grown bored of it. The people here are so rude and unfriendly.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Where I live is pretty boring but I love Central London to pieces mainly because of the food and how there's always something to do.

Always smth to do - like what?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Or Solihull

>close enough to commute to Brum

>don't have to live in a flat, sorry, er studio apartment

>not crowded

>not full of toxic pollutants

>don't get bombed

>don't get murked

>doesn't look generally run down and ****

>brb drive your car up the driveway and into the garage before blissfully greeting your wife, as opposed to dirty, smelly, crowded tube train, walk to your block of flats, take an elevator which reeks of piss up to your floor before bundling into a 'property' where your bed is in the living room...
(edited 8 years ago)
Always smth to do - like what?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You've got a whole street dedicated to theatres, you've got tonnes of restaurants, you have museums you can go into for free,you have libraries and you have loads of bars and nightclubs.

Duhh

Quick Reply

Latest