The Student Room Group

University interview over skype...

I need a few tips for my upcoming uni interview which will be held over skype! :smile:

- I will have to give a short presentation (4-5min) on a certain topic for my course - since I'm doing it over skype I can't use anything like power point, charts, posters, etc. so any tips on how I can make it interesting?

- Attire: I'm not completely sure what to wear. I don't want to be too informal but not too formal either :s Maybe a white blouse would suffice? Some people say over skype you should try wearing slightly darker clothes (I'm a girl btw)

If anyone has any additional tips from past experience, please do share them! :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by ~xSarahx~
I need a few tips for my upcoming uni interview which will be held over skype! :smile:

- I will have to give a short presentation (4-5min) on a certain topic for my course - since I'm doing it over skype I can't use anything like power point, charts, posters, etc. so any tips on how I can make it interesting?

- Attire: I'm not completely sure what to wear. I don't want to be too informal but not too formal either :s Maybe a white blouse would suffice? Some people say over skype you should try wearing slightly darker clothes (I'm a girl btw)

If anyone has any additional tips from past experience, please do share them! :biggrin:

I don't understand this at all. If the uni can see what you're wearing, they would be able to see a poster.
Out of curiosity, what subject and what uni?
Reply 3
Original post by Juno
I don't understand this at all. If the uni can see what you're wearing, they would be able to see a poster.

I get what you mean, but having a poster while physically being at the interview is different compared to doing it over skype.
I'd have to hold the poster close to the webcam for my interviewer to see so I think simply talking is a lot more efficient than having the interviewer try reading off the poster as well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just make sure it's the uni Skyping you and if they ask you do any weird stuff, walk away.
Use screen sharing to give a powerpoint presentation if you want. Don't do any poster nonsense. Just either be yourself if they prefer face to face.

My tips would be:

-Start with an interesting fact/anecdote to get there interest
-Structure your speech by explaining 2-3 areas you're going to describe
-Finish with a summary

5 minutes is NOT a long time. Only use the best, most hard-hitting points.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending