The Student Room Group

Does anyone actually like chavs?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I have a crush on one at my workplace but his lack of educational, or indeed, any ambition is a big turn off not to mention the fact that he has 0% respect for anyone besides himself and is generally not a very nice person at all

But perhaps he isn't bound to this way of life. He can change. Like others who have drifted from certain labels and stereotypes.
Maybe if he wasn't frowned upon by people all the time, he might be a better person (I'm saying this as chavs are mostly frowned upon)
I don't think there really are any chavs nowadays, if you mean chavs as in the council house type? I don't live near any and if you do then you might not be that different from them yourself.
Original post by Eternalflames
That is a derogatory term. And why should one have reasons not to like them?

Regardless of whether or not you consider it derogatory its well deserved. If you have to ask that I feel you have not met many chavs
Original post by AthiaKarim
If I fell in love with them, then I guess I would be with them regardless of what label society fixes them up with. I guess I'm drawn to the individual and not what society tells me what this persons is ought to be.
And also, I'm not that bothered with how I am perceived by others.

Also, I do feel like there is a difference between a label and the individual. I think most of us view people with predisposed ideas, which distracts us from seeing who they really are. I really do believe that a "chav" is a fixed term that society has created to put down people. And I do believe that some "chavs" can distance themselves from this label.

So really, all isn't too bad.

I agree that individuality is completely different from society labelling a group of people together. But what if that was just who they were? Would you be able to live with the disrespect, would you keep on trying to 'fix' them, if it's true what you said in that you would date them regardless of labels, would it still be the same if the labels where actually fitting with there personality?
Regardless of whether or not you consider it derogatory its well deserved. If you have to ask that I feel you have not met many chavs

I saw many c**vs at my secondary school and had no issues with them.
Original post by Meridian-S
I agree that individuality is completely different from society labelling a group of people together. But what if that was just who they were? Would you be able to live with the disrespect, would you keep on trying to 'fix' them, if it's true what you said in that you would date them regardless of labels, would it still be the same if the labels where actually fitting with there personality?

Yes that's true I would date them regardless. And yes, it's in my personality to nurture, take care and help people. So if I was to be dating a "chav" I will help them endless, in whatever way needed.
But most of what you've just written I cannot accurately comment on unless I have actually dated a chav, so my answers are pending
Original post by Dinasaurus
I don't think there really are any chavs nowadays, if you mean chavs as in the council house type? I don't live near any and if you do then you might not be that different from them yourself.

Considering I'm halfway through a masters degree in chemistry with aspirations of going into medicine and from a relatively affluent area with professional parents I wouldnt say so. Sadly my part time job means I have to work with some of these unsavoury individuals.

Ah, the old "I've never seen any therefore they don't exist" arguement
Yes that's true I would date them regardless. And yes, it's in my personality to nurture, take care and help people. So if I was to be dating a "chav" I will help them endless, in whatever way needed.
But most of what you've just written I cannot accurately comment on unless I have actually dated a chav, so my answers are pending

Fair enough, I suppose it's subjective, as in it differs from person to person.
Fair enough, I suppose it's subjective, as in it differs from person to person.

It does lol :tongue:
No but then again most chavs (at least the definition I subscribe to) don't help themselves by being lazy at school, bullying, messing around in class or terrorising innocent random people. If they really wanted to make something of their lives they could, instead they choose wilfully to be horrid and a blight on society and make irresponsible choices
Posts 18 and 20 sum up my thoughts succinctly:

"I guess I'm drawn to the individual and not what society tells me what this persons is ought to be. And also, I'm not that bothered with how I am perceived by others.

Also, I do feel like there is a difference between a label and the individual. I think most of us view people with predisposed ideas, which distracts us from seeing who they really are. I really do believe that a "chav" is a fixed term that society has created to put down people. And I do believe that some "chavs" can distance themselves from this label."

"All these things can be rectified, it's a matter of where they choose to go from there, and who appears in there life to either try to help them or drag them further from a happy life. Disrespect, education, manners etc can all be changed with enough work, the same goes for lazy ethics and sloppy morals."
(edited 8 years ago)
Considering I'm halfway through a masters degree in chemistry with aspirations of going into medicine and from a relatively affluent area with professional parents I wouldnt say so. Sadly my part time job means I have to work with some of these unsavoury individuals.

Ah, the old "I've never seen any therefore they don't exist" arguement

I have seen chavs back when it was more a trend to wear mackenzie tracksuits or whatever but when the indie wave came in, most of the former chavs started to wear converses and skinny jeans.

I mean there were some chavs but I was starting sixth form by the time 'chaviness' stopped being a trend and most chavs didn't really go to sixth-form, so they kind of disappeared.

I mean it's like goths, I used to always see a huge crowd of kids in their crazy goth outfits standing around shops and in the town centre. It was a known goth hang out spot but as years went by their numbers dwindled and now you'd be lucky to find one goth in a couple of months.
Original post by uberteknik
Posts 18 and 20 sum up my thoughts succinctly:

"I guess I'm drawn to the individual and not what society tells me what this persons is ought to be. And also, I'm not that bothered with how I am perceived by others.

Also, I do feel like there is a difference between a label and the individual. I think most of us view people with predisposed ideas, which distracts us from seeing who they really are. I really do believe that a "chav" is a fixed term that society has created to put down people. And I do believe that some "chavs" can distance themselves from this label."
".....most chavs (at least the definition I subscribe to) don't help themselves by being lazy at school, bullying, messing around in class or terrorising innocent random people. If they really wanted to make something of their lives they could, instead they choose wilfully to be horrid and a blight on society and make irresponsible choices."

<3 Happy Valentines Day to everyone on this thread btw [Oh and yay for hitting 2 gems!]
(edited 8 years ago)
But perhaps he isn't bound to this way of life. He can change. Like others who have drifted from certain labels and stereotypes.
Maybe if he wasn't frowned upon by people all the time, he might be a better person (I'm saying this as chavs are mostly frowned upon)

I have no doubt that he could change if he wanted to, however, he himself has admitted hes a "greasy chav" and takes pride in the status of being a chav. He continues to engage in anti social behaviour regardless of consequences and that is what puts me off. Unless he changed I fail to see how we might be anything aproaching remotely compatible
Reply 34
All these things can be rectified, it's a matter of where they choose to go from there, and who appears in there life to either try to help them or drag them further from a happy life. Disrespect, education, manners etc can all be changed with enough work, the same goes for lazy ethics and sloppy morals.

Hmmm.

You might be right with regard to some of those traits but I don't see how you can teach someone to respect others.

Personally I have very little to virtually zero respect for most people.

I have no idea what work would make me change that.

Someone would have to start by telling me why the **** I should respect people for a start.

I should point out in case you think I'm trolling that I am usually reasonably polite to people.

I just happen to believe that the world would be better if they were never born in most cases.

Cheers
(edited 8 years ago)
I have no doubt that he could change if he wanted to, however, he himself has admitted hes a "greasy chav" and takes pride in the status of being a chav. He continues to engage in anti social behaviour regardless of consequences and that is what puts me off. Unless he changed I fail to see how we might be anything aproaching remotely compatible

You're missing the point here, if you want him to change, you have to make it happen and inspire him to do so.
Original post by moggis
Hmmm.

You might be right with regard to most of those but I don't see how you can teach someone to respect others.

Personally I have very little to virtually zero respect for most people.

I have no idea what work would make me change that.

Someone would have to start by telling me why the **** I should respect people for a start.

I should point out in case you think I'm trolling that I am usually reasonably polite to people.

I just think that the world would be better if they were never born in most cases.

Cheers

And how are most people taught respect when they there were little? Simple, they got told and showed what was is right and what is wrong. Same applies here. I just read the last line of your post, what the hell! You can't say that you wish some people were never born in the first place, when only the place and environment they were brought up in are the only things that caused the anti-social behaviour! Also, the development and understanding of these different people that 'stray from the norm' are crucial to how we all view the world as a whole.
(edited 8 years ago)
ewww no
Original post by Dinasaurus
I have seen chavs back when it was more a trend to wear mackenzie tracksuits or whatever but when the indie wave came in, most of the former chavs started to wear converses and skinny jeans.

I mean there were some chavs but I was starting sixth form by the time 'chaviness' stopped being a trend and most chavs didn't really go to sixth-form, so they kind of disappeared.

I mean it's like goths, I used to always see a huge crowd of kids in their crazy goth outfits standing around shops and in the town centre. It was a known goth hang out spot but as years went by their numbers dwindled and now you'd be lucky to find one goth in a couple of months.

Wearing a tracksuit does not a chav make; it's more of a midset, a mannerless, educationally and morally bankrupt mindset, it's the heavy drug abuse and drinking, irresponsible sex, general lack of consideration for others, anti-social and criminal behaviour. I could go on but you get the picture.
You're missing the point here, if you want him to change, you have to make it happen and inspire him to do so.

People don't change unless they have a sufficient impetus to do so and even then it's a lot of effort. I don't hold that much power over him

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending