The Student Room Group

Diary of a Vet Hopeful: My journey through AS

Scroll to see replies

Best of luck for this, it looks like you're off to a great start. You put my year 12 self to shame for sure! :tongue: I'm liking the revision cards, especially the kitty. My teacher always used to tell us that cations are purrsitive :wink:

To echo what others have said, it's totally possible to bring your grades up :yep: I got an E in my Easter AS chemistry mock... then got made to resit it (yes, the mock :redface: ) and got a U :lol: Fast forward a couple of months and I got an A with 98% UMS. Past papers are the way forward! :tongue:

Keep up the good work :h:
Original post by richpanda
Hmm was hoping you were AQA or Edexcel to share revision stuff (similar specs) but oh well

I'm doing Edexcel Chemistry (resitting Unit 2)!

Original post by VittoriaAnna
Final update- 10/2/16:

I thought I would finish this huge update with a summary of all my flash cards made over the past month or two...

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1455137406.011280.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1455137456.260994.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1455137470.396654.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1455137525.174208.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1455137555.225361.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1455137602.110186.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1455137649.709143.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1455137682.364633.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Loving the flash cards! Thats going to be most of my half term!
Did you do the core 1 June 2015 paper for your mock? I did this one for my mock and got a U.. in fact, I did so bad that my teacher didn't even bother using the bit on the front page where you write how many marks were scored for each question :colondollar:
Luckily though, we had a different paper for the re-sit and I managed to get an A.
I have a feeling that this year's paper will be just as hard, if not harder, than the 2015 one, so it might be a good idea to have a go at the Solomon papers as well and even core 1 papers from other exam boards
Original post by VittoriaAnna
x

What board are you for biology? :smile:
Original post by jessyjellytot14
Did you do the core 1 June 2015 paper for your mock? I did this one for my mock and got a U.. in fact, I did so bad that my teacher didn't even bother using the bit on the front page where you write how many marks were scored for each question :colondollar:
Luckily though, we had a different paper for the re-sit and I managed to get an A.
I have a feeling that this year's paper will be just as hard, if not harder, than the 2015 one, so it might be a good idea to have a go at the Solomon papers as well and even core 1 papers from other exam boards

Yes, that was the paper we had.. I'm glad I wasn't the only one that found it hard, only four people in my class got a grade! I'm resitting next week so hopefully I'll do better. As for the soloman papers, I've been finding them really useful. Thanks and good luck! :smile:
OCR A

Original post by Ribenas
What board are you for biology? :smile:
I have just started my statistics revision by completing review 5 in the textbook. This exercise focussed on correlations, which I now feel very confident with. I am comfortable working out correlation coefficients and interpreting values, but need another look at coded data. I know that if I am asked to calculate the correlation of coded data it will be the same, but I need to check whether I need to show workings or not.

I got all the questions correct except for one, which was a vague qualitative question which we haven't really been taught about. Overall I am happy with this topic.
Half- term goals:

In order to keep myself organised, I have created a list of everything I need to achieve within the next week. I will keep updated on how each task goes and hope to complete everything before I get back to school!

Statistics review 6 COMPLETED 18/02/16

Maths exercise 12.7, 12.8 and 12.9 COMPLETED 19/02/16

Chemistry (foundations in chemistry)- Bond enthalpy sheet x2 COMPLETED 18/02/16

Biology- Transpiration sheets x2 COMPLETED 21/02/16

Psychology- Create revision sheet/ interactive resource on operant conditioning. COMPLETED 16/02/16

Revise for maths mock retake COMPLETED 21/02/16

Revise for biology test on mammalian lungs and gas exchange. COMPLETED 19/02/16

Complete bibliography and source sheets for EPQ. COMPLETED 21/02/16

Chemistry- group 2 worksheet. COMPLETED 18/02/16

(edited 8 years ago)
I have just completed my psychology homework by making a revision resource on The Student Room. I made a quiz search on the topic of operant conditioning, that can be found with the link below.

I think this will be very useful for my revision as it is interactive and I included all the key definitions I need for the topic. Also, it is very helpful that I can change the format from a wordsearch to a crossword of flashcards, as this will add some variety to my revision and help me learn more.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/revision-tests/operant-conditioning?game_type=quizsearch
16/2/16-

I have also completed some psychology notes on operant conditioning to use alongside the resource in my previous post.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1455639137.356805.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1455639153.955428.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1455639178.986675.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1455639191.147195.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1455639231.641407.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1455639243.902996.jpg

For biological psychology I have completed an A3 revision sheet on the topic of hormones and aggression to act as a summary of this section.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1455639350.765695.jpg

*Revision Tip- this tip links to my last one and is all about the colour! As well as colour coding my folders and tabs, I also like to colour code my notes as it helps me organise them better in my head. I'm a very visual and creative person, so the use of colour and drawings in my notes encourages me to read them when revising. There is nothing I hate more than trying to revise my flicking through some ugly looking black and white notes! Just try not to spend to much time on the decoration. I like to write the min context first, then add any colour and drawings afterwards so I don't get distracted and forget the main focus of the work!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
BMAT PRACTICE-

So this isn't exactly revision related, but as I'm hoping to apply to vet school this autumn I decided to try a specimen BMAT section 1 paper. I scored 20/35 (57%) which is just over the average of 50%.. Not bad for my first go! I found the timing okay, and managed to finish with 5 minutes to spare. there were a few questions (marked with a *) that I had no clue where to start, or was stuck between multiple options, so went for a guess (and failed!)

I don't really know how to revise for this, so I am going to look at the past papers over the next few months to help me get an idea and boost my chances of doing well!

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1455644576.132535.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
18/02/16-

Today I made a start on my homework sheets and completed 2 chemistry sheets on bond enthalpy, both of which I was relatively happy with, a sheet on alkali metals which I found quite easy, statistics review 6 which I still need to mark, and one of 2 transpiration sheets, that I struggled with.

I am unsure how to go about the second transpiration sheet so I am going to email my biology teacher in the morning, after asking my friends in my class. I am also going to spend time looking at transpiration in my revision, to see if it will help me answer the questions.

I am now going to work on my EPQ by filling in my source evaluations and updating my bibliography with specific names and dates.
Study Planner- 19/02/16:

I have just made a study planner using the tool on The Student Room. I have set my priorities to biology and chemistry, as these are the subjects compulsory for veterinary medicine, but the priorities for maths and psychology are closely behind. It looks very overwhelming as when selecting the hours of revision per subject I clicked 'as many as possible'. I don't feel that I will be able to stick to every session, but as I have not included my study periods during school (around 5-6 hours per week) I can use this time to make up for any missed sessions. I also have study leave which I have not included, as I am unsure when it is.

I have made the timetable up until may, when my first exam is, but have printed out eah week up until the easter holidays. I have stuck them on the back of my bedrooom door so I can clearly see what I should be revising and when. I am also going to take a photo of them each week on my phone, so I know what to revise in my study periods at school. I have not yet added specific areas of work to each session, but I will do this as I identify areas of weakness. I hope this blog will motivate me to stick to my planner, and I will keep updated with how it goes!
19/02/16-

I have spent this morning completing exercise 12.7, 8 and 9 of my maths textbook. It was all focused on trig graphs and identities. I found drawing the graphs and their transformations fairly simple as I have been practising since GCSE. However, I am stuck with how to work out the coordinates of where the sin and cos graph intercept, so I am going to ask a teacher on Monday. Other than that, I feel fairly happy with this topic and will continue to go over it so I do not forget it.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1455883950.236537.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1455883965.258012.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1455883976.550609.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1455883988.642790.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1455883999.308741.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1455884020.640721.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
19/02/16-

I have just finished revision for an end of unit test next week on mammalian lungs and gas exchange. I have used my previous class notes and the text book to Crete the notes below. I am happy with how they came out and feel comfortable with the content. To continue my revision, I will attempt some past paper questions before the test to check I am confident with the wording of the questions and my answers.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1455896178.475901.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1455896197.470618.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1455896224.739057.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1455896242.188612.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1455896265.401344.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1455896279.596044.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1455896299.787030.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1455896324.349676.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
App for Focusing:

I'm sure I am not the only one that gets distracted by my phone when revising, which is why I thought I would mention a really useful app I found to help me stay on task. The app is called Forest and is available on the apple and android store. What it does is allows you to select a time from 10-240 minutes, which you will dedicate to studying, relaxing etc. Once you select a time, a tree will start to grow in your virtual garden (bigger if you select a longer time period). During this time, you cannot leave the app (unless you get a text/ phone call, or any thing else you choose to allow) and if you leave your tree will die and you will be notified. The dead tree will also show in your garden to remind you of being distracted.

I am finding this really useful and today I have managed to stay off my phone for a total of 4 hours, which is impressive for me! I also find it encouraging as you can visit the garden and see all the trees that have been planted from your hours of distraction- free revision! I definitely reccommend this app, and if any of you have tried it let me know what you think :smile:
20/02/16-

So today I didn't manage any revision, but I spent the whole day on my EPQ instead as the deadline is right around the corner (beginning of march I think).

I handed in my first draft last week and I am happy with how it turned out, and I don't think it needs much more work. Today I worked on all the extra bits and bobs to go alongside and to show development. I started off my printing some of my sources and annotating them, as seen below.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1455994528.457571.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1455994538.566336.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1455994546.546539.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1455994553.610196.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1455994563.520766.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1455994572.570645.jpg

I also finished my bibliography by adding the exact names of each book, website, journal etc., and made summary tables for the skills I learnt and the types of sources I used.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1455994632.120779.jpg ImageUploadedByStudent Room1455994665.952700.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1455994674.156648.jpg

Finally, I remade my planner. My old one decided to delete itself so I had to go through my log book to see when I completed each task and planned to complete it and then fill in the chart accordingly. My old one was automatic so I just had to type in the dates and it would fill in the bars in the correct colour. However this feature decided it would not work so I had to spend hours individually filling in every box on the spreadsheet in the correct colour (and shade!) It may have took hours but I am happy with the outcome.

Now all I need to do is complete my final dissertation by editing my draft and finish filling in the source evaluation sheets, and then I am done! 🎉🎉

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
It wouldn't let me add a photo of my planner in my last post, so here it is! ImageUploadedByStudent Room1455994973.279892.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
21/02/16-

To continue with my revision for the C1 mock retake, I went on physicsandmathstutor.com and completed some past questions from a few of my weak areas of C1. I managed to get all the questions correct, except 11d on coordinates.

I have printed the question out and I will ask my teacher for help, but if any of you could help me tok I would be very grateful! The mark scheme says that to work out the area of triangle PQR, you would need to find the length of PS or RS, but I don't get where the S is coming into the triangle! I know the answer is probably really obvious, I just can't seem to see it.

Other than that I am feeling quite confident with C1. I can choose any day next week for the retake so I think I will do it later on in the week so I can squeeze in a little more revision as I really want to do well this time.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1456065653.113786.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1456065710.870300.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1456065730.432558.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1456065754.370425.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1456065769.044830.jpg

I'm now going to crack on with my EPQ and get as many source sheets complete as I can before my meeting, and also do some more biology revision on the lungs if I have time. The test isn't until Thursday so I still have time to revise more if I don't get round to it today.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
21/02/16-

In the past couple of hours, I have managed to complete 9 source connecting sheets. I am a third of the way there, however, I feel that it may be unnecessary to write about all of the sources as some of them did not contribute to my final dissertation. I read them, so had to include them in my bibliography, but decided they did not provide anything useful to me. Therefore, I have decided to stop with the EPQ now and continue in my study periods at school and throughout the next couple of weeks.

I have decided that is it for school work now! I am going to sort out my folder then it is time to relax before the first day back tomorrow. I am super happy with what I managed to do, and I can proudly say that I completed everything on my list (apart from EPQ). Overall, I think it has been a rather productive half- term which has helped kick- start my revision in a positive way!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending