The Student Room Group

scientific reasons for believing in god?

Scroll to see replies

Changing the subject, it would be nice to have some Atheist standard sayings, for example:

The Big Bang - "peace be upon it's blessed explosion-ness". (PBUBEN)

Richard Dawkins - "may his light shine for ever on the poor ignoramuses of the wide world beyond Cambridge". (MLSEPOWWC)

Gravity Waves - "may their slight shudders in spacetime forever download non-holographic blessings on our local galaxies".

And so on.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Changing the subject, it would be nice to have some Atheist standard sayings, for example:

Richard Dawkins - "may his light shine for ever on the poor ignoramuses of the wide world beyond Cambridge". (MLSEPOWWC)

Gravity Waves - "may their slight shudders in spacetime forever download non-holographic blessings on our local galaxies".

And so on.

What drugs are you on? I'd like some.
Reply 82
As an agnostic; I heavily believe in science and I personally reckon one would have to be ignorant to be completely atheist. The unanswerable questions as to where the energy in the universe came from? - As energy cannot be created or destroyed, but what caused it to be there in the first place?
I reckon the term 'God' you're using is referring to a higher power of sorts?
There is nothing that can disprove the theory of a higher power and hence the idea that there may be one, cannot be discarded.
Actually there is no evidence of the big bang. it is a theory. study quantum mechanics and metaphysics at a higher level, and you will soon discover that these things, as indeed everything else, is all pretty much subjective. Please watch the film 'What the bleep down the rabbit hole' or ted talks, for more evidence of this little factum.
Original post by XOR_
What drugs are you on? I'd like some.

For me, the shining light of fully atheistic science is sufficient intoxicant for all situations.
I bet someone will mention the anthropic principle
Original post by john2054
Actually there is no evidence of the big bang. it is a theory. study quantum mechanics and metaphysics at a higher level, and you will soon discover that these things, as indeed everything else, is all pretty much subjective. Please watch the film 'What the bleep down the rabbit hole' or ted talks, for more evidence of this little factum.

Aren't scientists claiming that the gravity waves thing confirms Inflation and therefore confirms the Big Bang?

I'm no expert, but the Big Bang seems to be a pretty widely accepted theory, although I've also read that some theorists think of it as maybe more like an endless series of inflations and contractions with a 'bounce' in between.

And so on.

"may their smugness gene be deleted before the next great extinction"
Original post by the bear
"may their smugness gene be deleted before the next great extinction"

Lol, nice one.

"May all continents continue sublimely drifting towards a more perfect union".
Lol, nice one.

"May all continents continue sublimely drifting towards a more perfect union".

i bet you have a fine subduction zone :flute:
Original post by mangala
so why do you believe in something without proof, doesn't that seem silly to you

You believe that there is no god. There isn't proof for there not being a god
Actually there is no evidence of the big bang. it is a theory.

yeah, like evolution. And also gravity.
Aren't scientists claiming that the gravity waves thing confirms Inflation and therefore confirms the Big Bang?

I'm no expert, but the Big Bang seems to be a pretty widely accepted theory, although I've also read that some theorists think of it as maybe more like an endless series of inflations and contractions with a 'bounce' in between.

Forget looking back to something which happened before sentient life was ever even formed, and look in front of you. What do you see? This is the here, this is the now. You are you and i am me? Correct? Wrong. You are me and i am you. This is but a fragment of what quantum mechanics teaches us. That every particle can and does travel to every point before and after, where it is right now, on the universe. This is quantum mechanics and meta physics is something else, but can teach us things like Jesus can be both the son of god, and a fairy tale at the same time. I don't want to offend too many people on here, suffice to say that i am a christian, but a gnostic one. Read up on it.
Reply 93
Original post by FrostyLemon
That's all very well and good, but to state that the big bang just came to be and a cause is unnecessary as time didn't exist before it, is almost as big an act of faith as believing in god.

(not sure if this has been responded to)

Before the big bang, there was (likely) a universe just as ours is. So for example. As we are now, currently the universe is expanding - this is due to the momentum caused from the big bang. When the gravitational pull inwards (to say the centre of the universe) is greater than the momentum outwards, the universe will begin to shrink back towards the centre due to the gravity. This will inevitably become very dense, (mass(ively) and energy-wise). This energy will become too much for the gravity to sustain and another big bang will occur.. and the cycle continues...
I may be utterly wrong here but this is my understanding of it.
And hence - the universe is in an eternal cycle.
Such as, you could always say, it must have originally come from somewhere, but then you would be forced to question the same thing regarding to a creator - what created the creator?
Original post by cambio wechsel
yeah, like evolution. And also gravity.

Yeah and let's not forget germ theory of disease shall we?
Again what we have here is a great number of people arguing on the internet, with only a quite limited amount of theories and evidence amongst them. And what you get is the case of he with the 'strongest fallacy' winning the rue. Except this doesn't make him, or her, right. Just gives them an overwhelming sense of gratification, that they have proven their case. I'm sorry guys and girls, but i for one, am not buying it.
Forget looking back to something which happened before sentient life was ever even formed, and look in front of you. What do you see? This is the here, this is the now. You are you and i am me? Correct? Wrong. You are me and i am you. This is but a fragment of what quantum mechanics teaches us. That every particle can and does travel to every point before and after, where it is right now, on the universe. This is quantum mechanics and meta physics is something else, but can teach us things like Jesus can be both the son of god, and a fairy tale at the same time. I don't want to offend too many people on here, suffice to say that i am a christian, but a gnostic one. Read up on it.

Gnostic as in the demiurge?
Original post by cowie

Before the big bang, there was (likely) a universe just as ours is. So for example. As we are now, currently the universe is expanding - this is due to the momentum caused from the big bang. When the gravitational pull inwards (to say the centre of the universe) is greater than the momentum outwards, the universe will begin to shrink back towards the centre due to the gravity. This will inevitably become very dense, (mass(ively) and energy-wise). This energy will become too much for the gravity to sustain and another big bang will occur.. and the cycle continues...
Such as, you could always say, it must have originally come from somewhere, but then you would be forced to question the same thing regarding to a creator - what created the creator?

actually the mulitverse theory is at least as popular as the single bang theory, in higher circles, as far as i can see anyway?
Original post by cowie

That's a modified version of the Big Crunch theory of the universes end, that it will eventually crunch together and begin anew. There are other theories such as the heat death model and the big freeze theory. None of which have been confirmed by the majority as most likely, at the moment they are ideas and no consensus has been made yet.
Original post by louissmith501
Gnostic as in the demiurge?

demiurge means 'being responsible for the creation of the universe'.

gnostic means believing in the spirit, as opposed to the written word of the bible.

that is literalist, btw

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending