The Student Room Group

When applying for student finance...

Hi there.

I recently came across a demo version of 2015/16 Student Finance application form on the SLC website (Here is a link for all those interested: http://slc-apps.co.uk/appdemo2015/index.html just scroll down and click on either Means/Non-Means tested)

So during the application, it asks what type of course one intends to study. Now my query is:
If one intends to study a course with an OPTIONAL placement year, would one tick the 'Undergraduate' course type option or the one labelled 'Involving a work placement (Sandwich course)' option.

I know this query might sound like a no-brainer but of course if the said placement year is OPTIONAL then depending on if one chooses to take up the placement year or not, surely it will effect how much finance one is entitled to will it not?

Many thanks.
Original post by ScottTheGreat
Hi there.

I recently came across a demo version of 2015/16 Student Finance application form on the SLC website (Here is a link for all those interested: http://slc-apps.co.uk/appdemo2015/index.html just scroll down and click on either Means/Non-Means tested)

So during the application, it asks what type of course one intends to study. Now my query is:
If one intends to study a course with an OPTIONAL placement year, would one tick the 'Undergraduate' course type option or the one labelled 'Involving a work placement (Sandwich course)' option.

I know this query might sound like a no-brainer but of course if the said placement year is OPTIONAL then depending on if one chooses to take up the placement year or not, surely it will effect how much finance one is entitled to will it not?

Many thanks.

It's very easy to change the details of the course you're studying (and you need to reapply every year anyway) so it's generally best to choose the longest option for your course. It's easier to switch funding to a shorter course than it is to switch finance to fund you for an extra year on a longer course.

When you start your course ask about when you have to commit (or not) to the placement so you know when you can let SFE know your course has changed.
Original post by PQ
It's very easy to change the details of the course you're studying (and you need to reapply every year anyway) so it's generally best to choose the longest option for your course. It's easier to switch funding to a shorter course than it is to switch finance to fund you for an extra year on a longer course.

When you start your course ask about when you have to commit (or not) to the placement so you know when you can let SFE know your course has changed.

Ah-ha!

I thought this may have been the case but just wanted confirmation to be sure!

Thanks a lot!
Hi ScottTheGreat

I would advise you to choose the option including placement. If it is not required the university can send us a change of circumstances to amend your course back to the 3 year option.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending