The Student Room Group

The UK's 'brimstone missiles' haven't killed any ISIS militants in Syria

I remember back several months when one of the main arguments used for extending bombing ISIS from Iraq to Syria was because of our unique 'brimstone missiles'. Yet so far they haven't been used effectively once, according to the source.

I'm not sure why we are bombing ISIS, given that the ISIS militants who planned the Paris attacks planned most of it in Belgium. But the fact that our unique missiles which were apparently so valued by the French and American soldiers hasn't killed anyone raises an eyebrow.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/britains-unique-brimstone-missiles-still-havent-killed-any-isis-fighters-in-syria-a6881716.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2016/02/18/syria-bombing-brimstone-raf-isis-killed-_n_9261278.html

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The notion that bodycount alone is what we measure success against is callous, insulting and entirely wrong. It's a pathetically juvenile way of looking at things. Getting that kind of journalism from the Huffington Post is to be expected but it's a surprise from the Independent who, frankly, should know better.

We've only used 9 of the things the entire time we've been active over Syria - the vast majority of our missions there have been reconnaissance based - and those 9 have been perfectly successful at destroying ISIS equipment and vehicles.

Stupid arguments about a stupid topic.

Original post by Frank Underwood
Yet so far they haven't been used effectively once, according to the source.

Nowhere in either article does any source say anything of the sort. You are projecting your opinion - that the only thing these are good for is killing people - onto the situation.

If you can only speak from ignorance, why not do us all a favour and not speak?
(edited 8 years ago)
You wouldn't know what effective use of munitions was if it slapped you in the face.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
As the Indie article makes clear we are not just targeting militants:

“This includes targeting oil infrastructure and enabling equipment under Daesh control, helping to reduce their ability to profit from selling oil to fund their activities.

“We have also targeted Daesh’s military equipment and infrastructure, including vehicles, defensive fighting positions firing on friendly forces, a tunnel complex, weapons stores and a command and control centre.

Perhaps read the articles you use as sources? No one ever claimed the mission against ISIS would reach an arbitrary body count and be complete, looking solely at number of dead enemies obscures the true picture. Try winning a war if your men have no weapons, no trucks to get into position and no money to be paid with.
Yet so far they haven't been used effectively once, according to the source.

Misrepresenting your sources and lying are not the best ways to improve your limited credibility, you know. There are ways to use weapons that don't involve killing, and destroying money-making infrastructure is, arguably, a better long-term use of the weapon than killing individuals.
Original post by Good bloke
Misrepresenting your sources and lying are not the best ways to improve your limited credibility, you know. There are ways to use weapons that don't involve killing, and destroying money-making infrastructure is, arguably, a better long-term use of the weapon than killing individuals.

it is unbelievable how some people can believe that SOCTIS are not really all that bad...

personally i am proud that some of my tax money is used for each missile aimed at these perverts.

Spoiler

Legalise crystal weed.

Anyway. Just because we haven't killed any doesn't mean they were ineffective. Do you think we missed each and every shot? The UK is also targeting infrastructure and ISIS equipment.

Duh.

Spoiler

Killing just the individual ISIS terrorists won't be very effective. They're gonna just get replaced by new jihadists looking to die a martyr. By targeting infrastructure we have an opportunity to weaken them as an overall, unified enemy.

Legalise marjiuameth.
Original post by High Stakes

Spoiler

Killing just the individual ISIS terrorists won't be very effective. They're gonna just get replaced by new jihadists looking to die a martyr. By targeting infrastructure we have an opportunity to weaken them as an overall, unified enemy.

Legalise marjiuameth.

killing Nazis worked pretty well tho'... SOCTIS are going to end up the same.
Original post by High Stakes

Spoiler

Legalise marjiuameth.

This does tie in quite nicely with the express article he's claiming is a lie.

We can see by targeting their infrastructure we are making their lives more and more uncomfortable and taking the shine of the ISIS propaganda

and yes free the weed
Original post by Drewski
The notion that bodycount alone is what we measure success against is callous, insulting and entirely wrong. It's a pathetically juvenile way of looking at things. Getting that kind of journalism from the Huffington Post is to be expected but it's a surprise from the Independent who, frankly, should know better.

We've only used 9 of the things the entire time we've been active over Syria - the vast majority of our missions there have been reconnaissance based - and those 9 have been perfectly successful at destroying ISIS equipment and vehicles.

Stupid arguments about a stupid topic.

Nowhere in either article does any source say anything of the sort. You are projecting your opinion - that the only thing these are good for is killing people - onto the situation.

If you can only speak from ignorance, why not do us all a favour and not speak?

I'm not saying in any way that body count measures success. I'm just saying that the argument made that Britain has unique, high demand missiles which the French and Americans want to see in action was ludicrous, and the tories pretty much just wanted to contribute to bombing so that they would appeal to the rest of the coalition against ISIS.

Don't reply to my threads, you started similar antics on another of my threads and you stopped responding when I made my reply. So give me one reason not to block you.
Original post by DiddyDec
You wouldn't know what effective use of munitions was if it slapped you in the face.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great response, well formatted and good use of sources.
Original post by Aj12
As the Indie article makes clear we are not just targeting militants:

“This includes targeting oil infrastructure and enabling equipment under Daesh control, helping to reduce their ability to profit from selling oil to fund their activities.

“We have also targeted Daesh’s military equipment and infrastructure, including vehicles, defensive fighting positions firing on friendly forces, a tunnel complex, weapons stores and a command and control centre.

Perhaps read the articles you use as sources? No one ever claimed the mission against ISIS would reach an arbitrary body count and be complete, looking solely at number of dead enemies obscures the true picture. Try winning a war if your men have no weapons, no trucks to get into position and no money to be paid with.

I don't understand why we're getting involved in Syria though, ISIS poses a domestic threat by being capable of radicalising foreign nationals to commit attacks. Bombing their oil and stuff does little to hamper this, given that AK47s and suicide vests aren't a massive investment.
Great response, well formatted and good use of sources.

Good use of sources... Oh the irony.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I don't understand why we're getting involved in Syria though, ISIS poses a domestic threat by being capable of radicalising foreign nationals to commit attacks. Bombing their oil and stuff does little to hamper this, given that AK47s and suicide vests aren't a massive investment.

They pay their fighters $200 dollars a day, that is a fortune in regional terms. Bombing their oil infrastructure and outright destroying their cash supplies hampers their ability to pay fighters, this saps motivation and drains recruits. This allows other local players to take advantage and push back ISIS territory. We have already seen them lose around 15 to 25% of their territory since we got involved. If we destroy the state then bang goes their efforts to radicalize British citizens, just making them appear weak and stopping them taking further territory also contributes to this. It is a far better policy than allowing the state to grow, appear powerful and therefore more able to attract recruits. As I said before as well suicide vests and guns may be cheap, but they are useless if you do not have men to wear them or the ability to get them where you need them.
Original post by Aj12
They pay their fighters $200 dollars a day, that is a fortune in regional terms. Bombing their oil infrastructure and outright destroying their cash supplies hampers their ability to pay fighters, this saps motivation and drains recruits. This allows other local players to take advantage and push back ISIS territory. We have already seen them lose around 15 to 25% of their territory since we got involved. If we destroy the state then bang goes their efforts to radicalize British citizens, just making them appear weak and stopping them taking further territory also contributes to this. It is a far better policy than allowing the state to grow, appear powerful and therefore more able to attract recruits. As I said before as well suicide vests and guns may be cheap, but they are useless if you do not have men to wear them or the ability to get them where you need them.

ISIS fighters are motivated by religion among other things and not just money, and they have more than enough money from tax collection to last a very long time without any oil.
Don't reply to my threads, you started similar antics on another of my threads and you stopped responding when I made my reply. So give me one reason not to block you.

Calling you to account for misleading people with links that don't say what you say they say, are "antics", are they?

:toofunny:

I don't know what you are talking about but I don't care whether you block me or not. I can reply to any thread I wish.
Calling you to account for misleading people with links that don't say what you say they say, are "antics", are they?

:toofunny:

I don't know what you are talking about but I don't care whether you block me or not. I can reply to any thread I wish.

You started arguing points to me, I replied and you ignored it.

Therefore I've got no reason to discuss with you.
Reply 19
ISIS fighters are motivated by religion among other things and not just money, and they have more than enough money from tax collection to last a very long time without any oil.

But money helps, if money was not a motivator they would not pay their fighters.

Indeed, but just because they have other revenue sources is not an argument to not destroy as many as we can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending