The Student Room Group

scientific reasons for believing in god?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MevMev
also big bang theory was described in Qur'an

No it wasn't. The Big Bang Theory did not exist until the twentieth century.
Try out the kalam cosmological argument and the Copenhagen interpretation... you'd have to have some sort of quantum physics knowledge but you can find pop science videos on the web that make it easier if physics isn't your field.

They both give grounds for there possibly being a god because the universe would have to have an observer at the beginning of time (a god) due to there being the idea that something cannot exist without being measured or observed in a sense. The Copenhagen argument is literally the only thing that keeps me agnostic and not a fully blown out atheist.

I think religion is a load of irrational speculation but the idea of a god isn't because science says that they're could be one but it can also prove that there isn't one. But we can never know because we will never see inside the box.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AmazingArry
Try out the kalam cosmological argument

Exploded. Many times. It is nonsense. The first premise falls down under quantum theory.
You cannot scientifically prove an omnipotent being since science itself was invented
Original post by Good bloke
Exploded. Many times. It is nonsense. The first premise falls down under quantum theory.

I know but they don't know that.... shhhh... let them be oblivious to the truth because it's not as if religion doesn't do that either

Posted from TSR Mobile
There is no physical evidence for the existence of God, it is a faith. However there are some pieces of logical reasoning that we could make to help justify his existence.

1.) Even though it's been generally accepted that the big bang was what happened. We will probably never know what actually caused the big bang to take place in the first place. Therefore, by reason of uncertainty, there is still the possibility that God could have caused it.

2.) How is it that particles such as electrons and atoms, that are so random, yet ultimately produced humans that are capable of complex reasoning and thought? Are we ultimately just complicated chemical machines.

3.) Why do we ask questions in the first place? What is the point of thought? Is it simply to give evolutionary advantage or is there something more behind it?

4.) Even with our relatively high intelligence, are we capable of understanding everything through logical reasoning and deduction?
(edited 8 years ago)
I know but they don't know that.... shhhh... let them be oblivious to the truth because it's not as if religion doesn't do that either

Posted from TSR Mobile

How can you agree with him when you just mentioned one possible interpretation of quantum mechanics, especially when there are many that are deterministic, which would make his point invalid?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GeologyMaths
You cannot scientifically prove an omnipotent being since science itself was invented

Science is observation of real phenomena, not something that was just 'invented'.
Original post by leavingthecity
Science is observation of real phenomena, not something that was just 'invented'.

Science is a human invented phenomena
Reply 429
Original post by champ_mc99
Not exactly proof but the causation argument? Everyone agrees that the universe had a beginning. Non religious people believe this was due to the big bang. The cause of the big bang can be thought of as the action of an omnipotent eternal being i.e. God

Most religious people accept that the Universe was caused by the big bang too. In fact, it was a catholic priest called Lemaître that first put forward the theory.

I don't think that there's any reason to thing of the big bang as the action of an omnipotent eternal being though.
(edited 8 years ago)

It is not a phenomenon at all; it is a particular process and a method of analysing things.
Original post by mangala
the only reason i can think of for the existence is god is that aguero stays playin for city, why else would he stay if god wasnt working his magic? science cant disprove that

Yes it is by God he continues playing for City
Original post by Good bloke
It is not a phenomenon at all; it is a particular process and a method of analysing things.

Well that is debatable
Well that is debatable

I suggest you start by looking at the meaning, in the dictionary, of the word "phenomenon".
You have to have faith and believe in God even if there is no evidence, that is the test. :smile:
Try out the kalam cosmological argument and the Copenhagen interpretation... you'd have to have some sort of quantum physics knowledge but you can find pop science videos on the web that make it easier if physics isn't your field.

They both give grounds for there possibly being a god because the universe would have to have an observer at the beginning of time (a god) due to there being the idea that something cannot exist without being measured or observed in a sense. The Copenhagen argument is literally the only thing that keeps me agnostic and not a fully blown out atheist.

I think religion is a load of irrational speculation but the idea of a god isn't because science says that they're could be one but it can also prove that there isn't one. But we can never know because we will never see inside the box.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Copenhagen Interpretation (CI) not argument, and therefore not something that has the purpose of giving God any breathing space; it is only a popular way of interpreting Quantum Mechanics (QM). Pop science videos aren't going to cut it with QM. It's advanced mathematics that still wants a physical interpretation... Which is what the CI tries to do. I see no suggestion of there being a God in the CI.

The idea that something cannot exist without being measured is not strictly CI. In fact it's largely discredited and is a kind of solipsism. Yuck. CI is an attempt to explain how our measurements affect quantum systems and how our instruments interfere with our readings, that looking collapses the wavefunction; a mathematical entity that describes the propagation of a particle in space over time and we end up with a single measurement that is the result of all possible measurements having collapsed into one.

We cannot yet see inside the box... Remember, this is like a one hundred year old quote and Einstein himself didn't even like QM. Right now they are just trying to interpret the tried and tested maths and turn it into something we can visualise. And God really doesn't need to be one of those interpretations!
Original post by ikhan94
You have to have faith and believe in God even if there is no evidence, that is the test. :smile:

Hmmm test or bet?
Original post by _NMcC_
There is no physical evidence for the existence of God, it is a faith. However there are some pieces of logical reasoning that we could make to help justify his existence.

1.) Even though it's been generally accepted that the big bang was what happened. We will probably never know what actually caused the big bang to take place in the first place. Therefore, by reason of uncertainty, there is still the possibility that God could have caused it.

2.) How is it that particles such as electrons and atoms, that are so random, yet ultimately produced humans that are capable of complex reasoning and thought? Are we ultimately just complicated chemical machines.

3.) Why do we ask questions in the first place? What is the point of thought? Is it simply to give evolutionary advantage or is there something more behind it?

4.) Even with our relatively high intelligence, are we capable of understanding everything through logical reasoning and deduction?

1. No, it's so weak it shouldn't be allowed.

2. Peroxidation will explain. Complete explanation would not however take away from the awe a person should feel when asking themselves this question, but we don't need God getting involved thanks. And particles aren't just random. Careful with that word.

3. I would say it's an evolutionary advantage our curiosity. I think it's what makes us incredible!

4. Rephrased to simplify. Are we capable of understanding everything? No, and we won't exist for long enough. Nothing philosophical about that.
Haha I'm new to this and keep trying to rep your stuff but it won't let me do it!

You could say that those without your knowledge don't even see a blob, think of all the people who are and who have been that have no concept of the atom and it's constituents! It makes me feel a kind of...sad...

Literally makes 0 sense

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending