The Student Room Group

scientific reasons for believing in god?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KungPooPanda
"There is no such thing as a miracle" was pretty much all i needed to hear to know i'm talking to someone who probably isn't a professional with 30 years experience, but a kid behind a screen who probably just hates the idea of there being a God.

Anyway, I look forward in the future to hearing about all the unexplainable things that only YOU will come to explain, I look forward to you being the one who solves 'all' the medical mysteries out there and will eventually bring a stop to all the fool's who believe that 'miracles' are actually just, random acts of science

Sorry, but I know it is common on message boards when things get sticky to pretend you don't believe what the other says about themselves - but you have it wrong. I'm probably old enough to be your parent and I was finishing my PhD in the mid 1980s.

All you are doing is the time honoured appeal from personal incredulity. Gosh, darn - I can't understand it therefore it must be god.

There are many things that were formerly unexplained and not a single one needed an appeal to an invisible sky fairy when all was said and done. And it far more likely than not the currently unexplained doesn't. And you bring things up that are unexplained just because they are so ill posed or lacking in observation as to be pointless to even discuss.

As someone has said - it is like god lives under a stone - there used to be so many for him/her to hide under - but as we discover and look under those stones and understand them - there are less and less stones for god to hide under. Yep - your god - the ever shrinking, running out of places to hide god.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by KungPooPanda
Well, who has brought forward any scientific proof that he DOESNT exist? If your going to ask one question, you may as-well ask it both ways

If i made a thread asking this question, it would probably just mirror this thread

Again, what proof are you seeking? You want pictures? An interview with him on BBC? Postcards to come through your door from him?

KungPooPanda,

In several places throughout this thread there has been scientific theory explained and explored in detail by those who study the subject, with the purpose of demonstrating that science does actually offer an explanation that often effortlessly excludes God, not always though.

Now we are asking for the religious to put forward physical evidence that suggests divine interaction, or is so full of holes , or is so suspiciously perfect that a divine being is implicated.
Original post by leavingthecity

Now we are asking for the religious to put forward physical evidence that suggests divine interaction, or is so full of holes , or is so suspiciously perfect that a divine being is implicated.

You will be waiting the rest of your life. Such a thing never has been done. By Bayesian inference alone you should think it is not like to happen.
Original post by pvaz6965
One should not need a reason to be clever. One is clever or one isn't. I happen to be such a one.

You can't bring one up because there is no such thing as a miracle. You can bring hand wavy anecdotes like you did up but they are worthless to examination by their very nature.

No the childish thing is providing such rubbish to begin with.

Except no one ever manages to bring such a thing up that is not unexplained except do to its very tenuous evidences or observation.

You haven't provided anything of note. Look, I can tell that you aren't educated to a high level but you should really stop digging holes.

I think you have one rep from me...though tbh I have tried to rep all your posts multiple times, it just won't let me.
Original post by pvaz6965
You will be waiting the rest of your life. Such a thing never has been done. By Bayesian inference alone you should think it is not like to happen.

^^^^^^this is what this thread needs!

Scientific advancement explained + probability theory = God appears to be being squeezed out of existence quite literally.

My knowledge of probability is back of postage stamp stuff....for now....but I liked your response a lot
I think you have one rep from me...though tbh I have tried to rep all your posts multiple times, it just won't let me.

That's what PRSOM is for. If you've already repped them then just quote them and type PRSOM.

Posted from TSR Mobile
^^^^^^this is what this thread needs!

Scientific advancement explained + probability theory = God appears to be being squeezed out of existence quite literally.

My knowledge of probability is back of postage stamp stuff....for now....but I liked your response a lot

I said this in an earlier post:

As someone has said - it is like god lives under a stone - there used to be so many for him/her to hide under - but as we discover and look under those stones and understand them - there are less and less stones for god to hide under. Yep - your god - the ever shrinking, running out of places to hide god.

Hundreds of years ago you could hide god beyond the naked eye planets or in a drop of pond water. But with telescopes and microscopes he couldn't hide there. But you could still hide him in human conception or the inheritance of traits in plants - but then with advancement he wasn't hiding there. So he was relegated to further afield in the universe or in the magic of penicillin or such. But then we figured those things out. Where can he hide? His hiding places have shrunk an awful lot, especially in the last century or so. Looks like if you sum this series to infinity or infer posterior probabilities then poor god will have no place left to hide. Except of course the one place he actually came from - the mind of man.
Original post by yasminkattan
Everything we study in science is proof of His existence.

Original post by AmazingArry
That's what PRSOM is for. If you've already repped them then just quote them and type PRSOM.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I seeeeeeee

I feel like this is something I don't know just because I'm old. At 25. Oh dear.
Original post by thisgalkate
the characteristics of water are uniquely suited to life:

Nonsense! There are probably many exoplanets out there which have similar adequate conditions for life. Are they all unique?
Original post by Oblivion99
Arent you meant to be an helper? :smile:

Eh? Is that relevant? I certainly helped that poster improve his English vocabulary.
I seeeeeeee

I feel like this is something I don't know just because I'm old. At 25. Oh dear.

You're not old.... 25 is still young.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mangala
scientific, logical evidence which points towards the existence of god

convert me from atheism

Faith is not about fact or science. Faith is about belief. Belief in God, your parents, your lover, your best friend, anyone. Faith is just hope, and hope is so powerful in itself, you don't need science for faith.
Original post by Al-Qamar
I was being sarcastic...

good to know
Reply 534
Original post by asmuse123
Faith is not about fact or science. Faith is about belief. Belief in God, your parents, your lover, your best friend, anyone. Faith is just hope, and hope is so powerful in itself, you don't need science for faith.

that sounds like something from a shite romantic movie mate
Reply 535
Original post by Rtdsv
The Qur'an is unchanged since created 1400 years ago. The smallest chapter in the Qur'an is 10 words long and has over 40 rhetorical devices used. This is excluding other aspects such as its conciseness, phonetic superiority and informativity. This is outside the capacity of humans because no book or poem has more devices etc. and therefore could be considered a miracle.

This isn't proof of its truth, but it is a factor that gives me faith to believe in God.

Some people want a simple answer to the creation of the universe but this idea is so complicated how could it have one? Is it not possible that one thing cannot be comprehended by human intelligence and logic? This is just my opinion and like someone said it does take some faith.

a book that you think is well-written is no proof of god or that the book itself is anything special
Original post by mangala
that sounds like something from a shite romantic movie mate

Reply 537
Original post by thisgalkate
The Earths size is perfect. The Earth's size and corresponding gravity holds a thin layer of mostly nitrogen and oxygen gases, only extending about 50 miles above the Earth's surface. If Earth were smaller, an atmosphere would be impossible, like the planet Mercury. If Earth were larger, its atmosphere would contain free hydrogen, like Jupiter. Earth is the only known planet equipped with an atmosphere of the right mixture of gases to sustain plant, animal and human life.

And our moon is the perfect size and distance from the Earth for its gravitational pull. The moon creates important ocean tides and movement so ocean waters do not stagnate, and yet our massive oceans are restrained from spilling over across the continents.

Water is colorless, odorless and without taste, and yet no living thing can survive without it. Plants, animals and human beings consist mostly of water (about two-thirds of the human body is water). You'll see why the characteristics of water are uniquely suited to life:

The human brain processes more than a million messages a second. Your brain weighs the importance of all this data, filtering out the relatively unimportant. This screening function is what allows you to focus and operate effectively in your world. The brain functions differently than other organs. There is an intelligence to it, the ability to reason, to produce feelings, to dream and plan, to take action, and relate to other people.

Astrophysicist Robert Jastrow, a self-described agnostic, stated, "The seed of everything that has happened in the Universe was planted in that first instant; every star, every planet and every living creature in the Universe came into being as a result of events that were set in motion in the moment of the cosmic explosion...The Universe flashed into being, and we cannot find out what caused that to happen."

the fact that all of those things happen to be perfect for life to exist does not mean that god created it, it merely proves evolution.

there are trillions and trillions of planets, it would be statistically almost impossible for at least one to not have the conditions which we find on earth. statistically, there should be many more too.
Reply 538
Original post by EC3
I'll try and explain more clearly. All matter is penetrable. The mind is impenetrable and given the lack of empirical evidence (which science depends on) it is not unreasonable to induce that the mind is therefore immaterial. Our material bodies are penetrable but he fact that a part of us (our minds) are impenetrable and subsequently immaterial suggests there's something else out there. Hence, answering the questions of reason to believe in God due to the fact that that something else out there could possibly be a spiritual deity or atleast the existence of the soul.

Just saying that we may be able to observe the mind the mind the in the future doesn't change the fact that it's impossible at the current time (which is all we directly have to go with really) makes a belief in some sort of spiritual existence (if not just immaterial) reasonable.

It makes it harder to argue with, but it doesn't make it at all reasonable. it's not like there's a 50% chance that god created the mind.

by that logic, it's reasonable to assume that a 24 legged invisible pink dinosaur created the mind too because we cannot yet fully understand what the mind is
Original post by mangala
the fact that all of those things happen to be perfect for life to exist does not mean that god created it, it merely proves evolution.

there are trillions and trillions of planets, it would be statistically almost impossible for at least one to not have the conditions which we find on earth. statistically, there should be many more too.

Yes, the idea that these conditions are suited to life is beyond ridiculous, it's the other way round, life has managed to develop within these conditions. Planet earth is not a safe a friendly place. I'm sat by a window and am therefore being exposed to skin cell destroying UV light as I type. My skin is tanned, it's because my environment is so hostile that my body produces melanin to try and protect itself. (Um even though I'm in the UK)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending