The Student Room Group
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London

Biomedical & Health Science - Course Ambassador Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Hi Mohamed,
I am Laurentine Dassidji , and i really want to study Biomedical Science at MDX next academic year.
Could you please tell me exactly when the course will start so i can plan for my summer holidays. Also i want to make a booking for the 27 Feb Open , can i bring with me my 5 years old daughter as i got childcare issue?
I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Thanks
Laurentine
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London
Reply 21
Original post by ldassidji1
Hi Mohamed,
I am Laurentine Dassidji , and i really want to study Biomedical Science at MDX next academic year.
Could you please tell me exactly when the course will start so i can plan for my summer holidays. Also i want to make a booking for the 27 Feb Open , can i bring with me my 5 years old daughter as i got childcare issue?
I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Thanks
Laurentine

Hi Laurentine,
Nice to hear from you
the academic year 2016-2017 starts the week beginning 26 september, which is the freshers week - no teaching in this week however it is essential for all newcomers to attend as they will learn about the contents of their courses and other valuable information.
Regarding the applicant day 27th Feb, we will send an email to all offer holders, so please reply to that email or follow the instructions contained to be booked. You may already have received our email, if not, I will be contacting some of the offer holders this week for the booking purposes.
You can bring your daughter, however it may constrict you from visiting certain area e.g. Laboratories - for health and safety issues.

I hope that will help
Many thanks,

Mohamed Farah,
Middlesex Course Ambassador
Biomedical & Healthcare Science
Hi,

I'm looking to study Neuroscience and would love to stay at Unite Olympic Way. But I'm just a bit curious about the maintenance loan I'd receive. I know it differs slightly for each person but if you don't mind telling me, what is the average maintenance loan people studying Biomedical Sciences receives and which hall did you stay at? And did you like it?
Reply 23
Original post by JubilationXXV
Hi,

I'm looking to study Neuroscience and would love to stay at Unite Olympic Way. But I'm just a bit curious about the maintenance loan I'd receive. I know it differs slightly for each person but if you don't mind telling me, what is the average maintenance loan people studying Biomedical Sciences receives and which hall did you stay at? And did you like it?

Hi Jubilation,
Nice to hear from you and congratulation on your offer.
As you already mentioned the maintenance/student loan varies from student to another, it is means tested and subject to individual circumstances e.g. disability, child care cost and adult depended. You can use the following link to calculate the estimate of your eligibility: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator.
Regarding accommodation I do not stay in any of the university Hall - I rent privately - so, I would be able to have any favourite.

Regards,

Mohamed Farah,
Original post by Mo at MDX
Hi Jubilation,
As you already mentioned the maintenance/student loan varies from student to another, it is means tested and subject to individual circumstances e.g. disability, child care cost and adult depended. You can use the following link to calculate the estimate of your eligibility: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator.
Regarding accommodation I do not stay in any of the university Hall - I rent privately - so, I would be able to have any favourite.

Regards,

Mohamed Farah,

Okay, thank you. Did you stay in a private hall or private rented house? I would like to stay at Unite Olympic way however it is a bit pricey...I've checked out the other halls as well and they either don't offer en-suite rooms or just aren't really to my liking. So I'm a bit stumped...I mean is £174.51 quite expensive for first year accommodation? I would love to be able to pay a deposit for it but I just want to be sure that I'd get enough of a loan to cover the rent which is why I don't know when to pay for the deposit. Since it's first come, first serve, I don't want to miss out on getting a room because I was waiting too long for a quote from a maintenance loan.
Hi Mo!
Bit of a silly question but
I got an offer from middlesex to do the science foundation year then to go onto biomedical science. I applied for the foundation year since im doing access to nursing now and i didnt want to risk not gettinf a place at the university i wanted the most.
I was wondering if i get the grades required if i can go straight to the first year instead of the foundation year?
Either way i chose middlesex as my firm choice. I just wanted to know my options
Thanks
Stephanie
Reply 26
Original post by JubilationXXV
Okay, thank you. Did you stay in a private hall or private rented house? I would like to stay at Unite Olympic way however it is a bit pricey...I've checked out the other halls as well and they either don't offer en-suite rooms or just aren't really to my liking. So I'm a bit stumped...I mean is £174.51 quite expensive for first year accommodation? I would love to be able to pay a deposit for it but I just want to be sure that I'd get enough of a loan to cover the rent which is why I don't know when to pay for the deposit. Since it's first come, first serve, I don't want to miss out on getting a room because I was waiting too long for a quote from a maintenance loan.

Hi Jubilation,
Yes. I live in privately rented house with couple of students and, I had never lived in the university halls. I know university accommodations are expensive and not available for all students.
My advise for you would be to call the student finance team and explain to them your situation, and ask them if they are going to cover your renting expenses (which they usually do). Also you can email the university accommodation department and ask them to allow you some contingency time to prepare yourself on:
[email protected]

hope that helps

Mohamed Farah
Biomedical & healthcare Science
Reply 27
Original post by steph_pestana
Hi Mo!
Bit of a silly question but
I got an offer from middlesex to do the science foundation year then to go onto biomedical science. I applied for the foundation year since im doing access to nursing now and i didnt want to risk not gettinf a place at the university i wanted the most.
I was wondering if i get the grades required if i can go straight to the first year instead of the foundation year?
Either way i chose middlesex as my firm choice. I just wanted to know my options
Thanks
Stephanie

Hi Stephanie,
Nice to hear from you and congratulation on your offer,
The foundation year is design to help those student with limited science certification background to progress onto courses of the Natural Science department (biology, biomedical, neuroscience etc). If you however, meet the entry criteria for one of those course I think you would be able to start as direct entry to year 1. To be 100% sure I would recommend you to contact the admission team, please use this link to post your question to them:
https://mdx.hobsons.co.uk/ask.aspx?did=23&quser=Middlesex%20University&kb=onload
Alternatively you can call on +44 (0) 20 8411 5555 (Option 1) Monday-Friday 9-5.
After contacting them if you still not satisfied, please let me know so I can email the programmer leader and get a decisive answer.

Regards,

Mohamed Farah,
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 28
Hi all,

Welcome again in my weekly update in which I share with you the catchiest moments of the previous week.

Couple week ago I have participated in Innovation Management course that runs by MDX for eight weeks long so, on Mondays we usually have three hours of training. At the beginning I thought this would be out of my comfort zone and I may not be able to continue. However surprisingly, I am enjoying it and I believe I would benefit from this course enormously.

On the academic side I had very busy week in terms of deadlines and course-works. Actually I have submitted three assignments two of them in the same day. However, most of the course-leaders have assigned this week as reading week hence; the learning hours were not that long. As usual we had learned about new techniques and acquired new skills during lectures and lab sessions.

During weekend I have called the offer holder students in preparation for the applicant day, on the 27th (next Saturday) I have reminded the invitees about the event. It was very useful and I enjoyed chatting to those students.

All students have been in position where they are about to go to the university but they don’t know what is university life like. It would make a difference for me if someone from the university called me and have 3-5 mins chat with me and, I believe it would make a difference for others. Please don’t hesitate to ask if you have a question or you encountered something that does not make sense.

Thank you and see you all next week,

Mohamed Farah
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 29
Hi Mo,
I tried to book a place for Saturday but I am placed in the waiting list as places were fully booked. I received an email as a reminder from you for Saturday. Is that means that I am able to attend this Saturday ?
Thanks
Emme
Hi Mohamed.

I did my application for Biomedical Science at Middlesex and I received the conditional offer.
I would like to come for the applicant day on Saturday but I am on waiting list, is it ok if I come or I have to wait a conformation e-mail?
I also received an e-mail from you about the expected program from Saturday.
I would love to come to get more informations about Middlesex Uni. Please let me know about Saturday.

Regards,
Alina
Reply 31
Original post by Emneta
Hi Mo,
I tried to book a place for Saturday but I am placed in the waiting list as places were fully booked. I received an email as a reminder from you for Saturday. Is that means that I am able to attend this Saturday ?
Thanks
Emme

Hello Emneta,
Nice to hear from you,
The available places for the biomeds & neuroscience are full and, that's why you have been put on the waiting list. We are calling all booked applicants to check if they are still coming, once someone cancel the next person on the waiting list is booked and, confirmation email is issued notifying them to come. So, please if have not received the confirmation email do not attend as the places are very limit and we are already stretched.
I am sorry about any inconvenient this may cause, however I wish you very good luck and looking forward to hear from you again!

Mohamed Farah
biomedical & healthcare science
Reply 32
Original post by alina.corina
Hi Mohamed.

I did my application for Biomedical Science at Middlesex and I received the conditional offer.
I would like to come for the applicant day on Saturday but I am on waiting list, is it ok if I come or I have to wait a conformation e-mail?
I also received an e-mail from you about the expected program from Saturday.
I would love to come to get more informations about Middlesex Uni. Please let me know about Saturday.

Regards,
Alina

Hi Alina,
At the moment all places on applicant day are full, however we are checking on all booked applicants so if anyone of them cancels the next person on the waiting list is booked. We are trying all what we can to accommodate everyone but due to the high number of applicants we facing some challenges. Please bare with us and check your email and your voice-mail regularly so you do not miss. If you however, have not received any notification from us please do not attend.
I am sorry about any disappointment this may cause, but I wish you very good luck and I am looking forward to hear from you again!

Mohamed Farah,
Reply 33
Hello everyone,

Welcome again in my weekly update in which I share with you all the excited moments of last week.

This week was very inspirational as we hosted the applicant-day event, offer holders students were invited to explore MDX and meet up with the academic staff.

Prior to the event, I had to call all booked students to confirm their attendance. As usual I have great time chatting with those students and explaining to them the means by which they can make the most of the event. The cluster that I represented it is very popular, and sadly we could not have all students who are wanted to attend.

It is with regret, that we could not have all students on the day as the places were very limited. However, for the next coming event please make sure to book yourself or reply to the email issued as soon as possible, so we can book you earlier rather than being on the waiting list.

The event in general went successfully and all its objectives have been met. Biomedical students, in particular, had great time in our laboratory as they were allow to work as forensic scientists. They have been given a blood sample (assumed to be belonging to an offender) and asked to identify the suspect by using blood grouping technique. After that, they have been given the opportunity to chat and ask questions to the academic staff of MDX.

For those of you, who have attended feel free to give us your opinion about the event and MDX.

Meanwhile, I wish you all very good luck and I am looking forward to hear from you all.

See you next week!

Mohamed Farah
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mo at MDX
Hello,

My name is Mohamed I am a biomedical science student at Middlesex
University (2nd year). I am also Middlesex course ambassador for biomedical and health science.

I am here to welcome any question you may have regarding MDX or any course of your interest.

Please do not hesitate to ask me and will get back to you as soon as possible.

Many Thanks,

Mohamed Farah
Biomedical & Health Science

Hi Mohamed,I have got a conditional offer for Audiology. I have to upload documents on my portal but I'm confused on how I should do it. Do I just type my GCSE results into a Word document? Also, do I need to upload my AS results?
Thank You
Ameenah
Reply 35
Original post by Ameenah123
Hi Mohamed,I have got a conditional offer for Audiology. I have to upload documents on my portal but I'm confused on how I should do it. Do I just type my GCSE results into a Word document? Also, do I need to upload my AS results?
Thank You
Ameenah

Hi Ameenah,
Sorry if I kept you waiting,
To upload your result you need to scan your transcript and send as an email to the department concern, in your case I suspect is to the admission team. With any correspondence please make sure to quot your student number to so, your profile would be found easily.
Thanks for asking me and looking forward to hear from you again!

Mohamed Farah
Middlesex University Course Ambassador
Biomedical and Healthcare Science
Reply 36
Hi everyone,
This is another in MDX week beginning 29/02/16.

Things are getting very busy at the moment; deadlines are approaching and exams are looming. This means more hard work has to be done as the second year of your undergraduate degree worth 50% of your overall achievement.

Last week the academic work in term of teaching was very interesting. Students were advised to think about a topic they would like to cover in the final year in their dissertation module. As they have to submit a proposal before the year end, so they can be allocated to different supervisors for their chosen subject.

I am yet to choose any topic, but I do have several in my mind and it is matter of time till I reach a decision. Because final year dissertation has be something novel an area that no body have yet look at– so it is difficult to choose the right topic in the right area, lots of reading is required. Hopefully, in couple weeks’ time everything will be done.

Feel free if to express your views on any topic of your interest that you like me to consider, maybe something that been on the news lately. See you all next week.

Best Wishes,

Mohamed Farah
biomedical & healthcare science
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 37
Hello All,

Welcome everyone and I hope you are all well. ‘Week beginning 07/03/16’

This week I would change the level at which I speak to you, I would like to take one step ahead in the real world and what had been happening in world of biomedical science and medicine. I would like to talk about Measles virus and the recent report by Public Health England (PHE).

Those of you who follow the news in particular biomedical related news are surely have heard about the latest figures released by the PHE in response to 20 cases of Measles, detected in London and the south east. Most of these cases were in the month of February.

Measles virus is a single-stranded RNA, which can cause an infection that spreads through the respiratory route. The symptoms of measles includes: runny nose and blockage, watery eyes, coughs, loss of appetite and measles rash. Children at the age of 12-13 months got vaccinated, however if the child on any other medications or have reported to react awfully to another vaccination, the measles vaccine should been postponed.

As you may be aware of, unlike bacteria, viruses cannot be killed; hence the treatment given (vaccine) is to reprogram one’s immunity in way that she/he became tolerant to the virus. So, the question to the biomedical scientists is: how can we develop an effective vaccine that will have prompt action on the virus. Also people are different in terms of immunity; some people are genetically immune to those viruses, whereas others are more venerable. Therefore, what could be done to enhance those whose immunity is disadvantage in order eradicate measles?

All these questions amongst others are what the biomedical scientists in collaboration with pharmaceutical companies looking into, constantly.

Hope you all find this write-up useful. If you have an area that you are interested in or something that has been in the news and you would like me to talk about it, please feel free to mention it.

Good luck and see you all next week.

Mohamed Farah
I want to apply for the Biomedical science with a foundation year, do you know by any chance the precentage of people going on to an undergraduate course after successfully completing the foundation?
Also if you can could give me in detail, how the foundation in biomedical works?

Thank you in advance
Reply 39
Original post by Kristine Pattiso
I want to apply for the Biomedical science with a foundation year, do you know by any chance the precentage of people going on to an undergraduate course after successfully completing the foundation?
Also if you can could give me in detail, how the foundation in biomedical works?

Thank you in advance

Hi Kristine
Thanks for asking!
The foundation year is designed to help those with very little or no science background in their previous studies. You enrol on a four-year course, which includes the one-year foundation course. If you complete this year successfully you progress directly to one of our three-year degree biomedical science course.The number of students who progress to degree study are very high, but I don't have the exact number and stats.

The syllabus of the course are foundation concepts and principles in biology and chemistry, academic writing and research techniques and foundation mathematics.
I hope that helps

Mohamed Farah
Middlesex course ambassador
Biomedical and healthcare science

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending