The Student Room Group

Help needed with history - suffragettes.

Asses the short term significance of the suffragette campaign in bringing about change to the role and status of women in the years 1903-1923.

(edited 8 years ago)
it's alright
It's not wise to post your coursework in a public forum where it can be copied.
Original post by Proxenus
it's alright

what would you add could you help me do more please I AM STUCK i want to get an A !!!!
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
It's not wise to post your coursework in a public forum where it can be copied.

i REALLY NEED HELP WITH THIS PLEASE COULD YOU FIND SOMEONE TO HELP ME PLEASE LOL
Original post by hellohelp666
i REALLY NEED HELP WITH THIS PLEASE COULD YOU FIND SOMEONE TO HELP ME PLEASE LOL

Ask some specific question about content to include etc. Don't put your own words down.
like what? and no one seems to be answering my question ? how do I remove what I said
Ask some specific question about content to include etc. Don't put your own words down.
Original post by hellohelp666
like what? and no one seems to be answering my question ? how do I remove what I said

I have no idea what you need to know. I'm not a historian. However, there are plenty of history students on here who will stop by this forum soon enough. You can't expect instant results, I'm afraid. I have edited out your coursework. You can delete anything else you have posted using the orange buttons in the post box.
I have no idea what you need to know. I'm not a historian. However, there are plenty of history students on here who will stop by this forum soon enough. You can't expect instant results, I'm afraid. I have edited out your coursework. You can delete anything else you have posted using the orange buttons in the post box.

thankyou I wanted you to do that I will take your word for it I hope to get a good answer soon
Reply 9
I'm unaware what exactly it is you are looking for, and at what level you're working. However, any essay at any level regarding the suffragettes and their impact (or lack thereof) of helping women gain the vote ought to include at least the following main factors:
- Suffragette militant campaigning ( the extent to which this aided or actually inhibited progress)
- Suffragist peaceful campaigning (contrast this to the suffragette's and also come to a conclusion on whether the Suffragist's letter writing etc actually helped)
- Whether the vote was just an "award" for the work women did during the Great War - and the extent to which this can be credited with them gaining the vote
- The concept that society was just generally progressing and that women's gain of the vote was simply a product of their changing position in society (e.g. the increase in women attending university in the late 19th century, the fact that other countries had already given the vote- considering how this would make Britain - the "father of Democracy" appear, how women had already been given the vote in local county elections etc)

And, depending on your level of study, perhaps make reference to some historiographical sources - off the top of my head, I remember Martin Pugh had much to say on the topic in favour of the Revisionist argument that the vote came about due to a general shift in society

(I also realise your topic isn't entirely based off of the gain of the vote, and is more broad, but this is all the info I have on the issue at hand haha)
Original post by JM_1998
I'm unaware what exactly it is you are looking for, and at what level you're working. However, any essay at any level regarding the suffragettes and their impact (or lack thereof) of helping women gain the vote ought to include at least the following main factors:
- Suffragette militant campaigning ( the extent to which this aided or actually inhibited progress)
- Suffragist peaceful campaigning (contrast this to the suffragette's and also come to a conclusion on whether the Suffragist's letter writing etc actually helped)
- Whether the vote was just an "award" for the work women did during the Great War - and the extent to which this can be credited with them gaining the vote
- The concept that society was just generally progressing and that women's gain of the vote was simply a product of their changing position in society (e.g. the increase in women attending university in the late 19th century, the fact that other countries had already given the vote- considering how this would make Britain - the "father of Democracy" appear, how women had already been given the vote in local county elections etc)

And, depending on your level of study, perhaps make reference to some historiographical sources - off the top of my head, I remember Martin Pugh had much to say on the topic in favour of the Revisionist argument that the vote came about due to a general shift in society

(I also realise your topic isn't entirely based off of the gain of the vote, and is more broad, but this is all the info I have on the issue at hand haha)

THANK YOU very much I am looking for A LEVEL - University standard level. It is weird because I type in suffragettes and it keeps coming up with the suffragists I don't think I can compare them in my essay. Would you like to see what I have written ?
You can easily compare the suffragists with the suffragettes haha
One group were out pouring acid on MP's golf courses and generally causing havoc and gaining women + women's fight for equality a bad name
Whereas, the suffragists - while less interesting - were writing letters to MPs, getting petitions, etc And they actually did get quite a few MPs to support women's emancipation
(Again, there's plenty of historiography available to support this)
For reference btw the NUWSS were the Suffragists, whereas the WSPU (set up by Pankhurst, whose autobiography was recently published and it is phenomenal - if you have a genuine interest in the topic it's a great read) were the Suffragettes. Searching using these anagrams might bear more fruitful Google results lol?.
And ah, I'm Scottish so I don't really know how the A-Level system asseses history work but I can't imagine it being too different
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JM_1998
You can easily compare the suffragists with the suffragettes haha
One group were out pouring acid on MP's golf courses and generally causing havoc and gaining women + women's fight for equality a bad name
Whereas, the suffragists - while less interesting - were writing letters to MPs, getting petitions, etc And they actually did get quite a few MPs to support women's emancipation
(Again, there's plenty of historiography available to support this)
For reference btw the NUWSS were the Suffragists, whereas the WSPU (set up by Pankhurst, whose autobiography was recently published and it is phenomenal - if you have a genuine interest in the topic it's a great read) were the Suffragettes. Searching using these anagrams might bear more fruitful Google results lol?.
And ah, I'm Scottish so I don't really know how the A-Level system asseses history work but I can't imagine it being too different

Do you know if the suffragettes helped women during world war one ? do u think they did
Well the suffragettes didn't do anything during WW1 - they suspended their campaigning to aid with the war effort
I personally don't believe they attributed any great deal and actually hampered progress - with their unruly behaviour only exemplifying to the public the concept at the time of women not being trusted with the vote as they weren't intelligent etc
However, some argue that one of the reasons for them gaining the vote was the pressure the government felt from the fear of the suffragettes resuming their campaigning post war

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending