The Student Room Group

Some job questions

I'm not happy about what I earn at my current workplace.

I plan to negotiate this.
If I have no luck, I have some questions.

Would not accepting a contract for the next year so I can look for new stuff be stupid?
In my meeting with my manager, is it worth asking what sort of time scale I'd have to accept the offer? I fear that she'll not want to be messed around.

At the moment, I feel like the honest and best thing would be to try to get a raise. If that fails, then I explain that I can't afford to continue as I am (see if she makes any suggestions) and then begin making applications. If they're aware I'm leaving, they'd be willing to write references.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Kvothe the arcane

Would not accepting a contract for the next year so I can look for new stuff be stupid?
In my meeting with my manager, is it worth asking what sort of time scale I'd have to accept the offer? I fear that she'll not want to be messed around.

At the moment, I feel like the honest and best thing would be to try to get a raise. If that fails, then I explain that I can't afford to continue as I am (see if she makes any suggestions) and then begin making applications. If they're aware I'm leaving, they'd be willing to write references.

Hello there, haven't replied to you in a while.

1. It's not stupid to disregard your contract. If money motivates you that much then do so. However, it also depends on your current position, likee; are you financially stable or do you need to have continuous income. For me personally, I've left my previous job where I had much higher payy rate, the reason was that I didn't actually enjoyed it.

2. Time scale?

3. Careful, if they're going to write reference they will say something like 'you left because you didn't get your raise'.

4.no

Here, spoiler for you.

Spoiler

ANd good luck with your negotiations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2

Not sure why you've tagged me but here goes... :wink:

What's your negotiation strategy? i.e. what will compel them to offer more? Are you doing more than your were contracted to do? Or doing it better than someone at the same level? Do you have more responsibility than your job description required? Or have you seen the same job paying more elsewhere? Do you like the workplace, but just want more money? How much more... 10%... 20%... xx%?

The best thing, always, is straight and plain talking. If your boss doesn't like to be messed around then that's good - and she should be straightforward with you too.. Be clear with your boss about what you want and why, and what's the benefit for her and the company.

AND don't forget you are already trying to balance work and your academics... you can't increase your job workload at the expense of your studies. And perhaps you should seriously consider reducing your job commitments until after you've secured your place, anyway.

Does that help??
Original post by Impressive
Hello there, haven't replied to you in a while.

Hi :hi:
1. It's not stupid to disregard your contract. If money motivates you that much then do so. However, it also depends on your current position, likee; are you financially stable or do you need to have continuous income. For me personally, I've left my previous job where I had much higher payy rate, the reason was that I didn't actually enjoyed it.

Thanks. I'm reasonably confident in my ability to find a job.
Money does motivate me slightly but it's more that I don't have much of a disposable income. After my regular outgoings, I'm pretty tight and have little wiggle room if anything goes wrong. I have my rent but I could cancel a lot of things if it came to it.
I do enjoy my job and would like to stay if negotiations go well.

2. Time scale?

I want to find out how much time I'd have to accept the offer so I can see if I can find something in the interim (if I do get an offer).

3. Careful, if they're going to write reference they will say something like 'you left because you didn't get your raise'.

Hmmm. I hadn't considered this.

4.no

No to?

Good night and thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Not sure why you've tagged me but here goes... :wink:

What's your negotiation strategy? i.e. what will compel them to offer more? Are you doing more than your were contracted to do? Or doing it better than someone at the same level? Do you have more responsibility than your job description required? Or have you seen the same job paying more elsewhere? Do you like the workplace, but just want more money? How much more... 10%... 20%... xx%?

The best thing, always, is straight and plain talking. If your boss doesn't like to be messed around then that's good - and she should be straightforward with you too.. Be clear with your boss about what you want and why, and what's the benefit for her and the company.

AND don't forget you are already trying to balance work and your academics... you can't increase your job workload at the expense of your studies. And perhaps you should seriously consider reducing your job commitments until after you've secured your place, anyway.

Does that help??

You're an older adult than me and you're used to giving advice.

I am doing more than I was contracted to do. The same job elsewhere is usually 1.5 times what I earn currently. My job is unique and there is noone else doing it but I appeared to be valued similarly to someone who's more generic.

Thanks for your reply.

I didn't go into too much detail because I'm trying to be good with my time :wink:. I'm not looking for any change now! As you say, I have my offer to work on. It's concerning the 2nd year before my start at the University. Budget meetings are being held now for the next financial year so it would be the time to discuss things. I have a fixed term contract and have been told it's highly likely I'd be offered another year. I would just hope it's higher than what I earn currently.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
You're an older adult than me and you're used to giving advice.

I am doing more than I was contracted to do. The same job elsewhere is usually 1.5 times what I earn currently. My job is unique and there is noone else doing it but I appeared to be valued similarly to someone who's more generic.

Thanks for your reply.

I didn't go into too much detail because I'm trying to be good with my time :wink:. I'm not looking for any chance now! As you say, I have my offer to work on. It's concerning the 2nd year before my start at the University. Budget meetings are being held now for the next financial year so it would be the time to discuss things. I have a fixed term contract and have been told it's highly likely I'd be offered another year. I would just hope it's higher than what I earn currently.

Sounds like you have a case :smile:

Good luck (and have a Plan B... )

BTW - the world of work in specific fields tends to be quite small. IF things don't quite work out and you decide to leave it's VERY likely you will encounter co-workers and your boss at some stage(s) in the future. Leave on good terms... :smile:
Original post by jneill
Sounds like you have a case :smile:

Good luck (and have a Plan B... )

BTW - the world of work in specific fields tends to be quite small. IF things don't quite work out and you decide to leave it's VERY likely you will encounter co-workers and your boss at some stage(s) in the future. Leave on good terms... :smile:

Thank you :smile:

If I decide to look for alternate work, is the above advice that they might say I quit because I didn't get a raise a legitimate concern? It's not something I've considered previously.

Also, is it reasonable to ask about what timeframe I'd have to make my decision in the event of a hypothetical new contract?
Reply 7
Thank you :smile:

If I decide to look for alternate work, is the above advice that they might say I quit because I didn't get a raise a legitimate concern? It's not something I've considered previously.

Also, is it reasonable to ask about what timeframe I'd have to make my decision in the event of a hypothetical new contract?

Most employment references are very bland these days - they just confirm dates that someone worked. It's rare to get a reference with any kind of commentary unless someone has an officially recorded disciplinary problem (breach of contract, theft, unacceptable behaviour, that sort of thing). A negative reference could lead to the employee bringing an discrimination claim. So I wouldn't worry too much.

The most common way to get a significant pay rise is to change employer. It's the way of the world...

As to timeframe: yes absolutely, timescales should be clearly communicated by both sides. When does your current contract finish?
Original post by jneill
Most employment references are very bland these days - they just confirm dates that someone worked. It's rare to get a reference with any kind of commentary unless someone has an officially recorded disciplinary problem (breach of contract, theft, unacceptable behaviour, that sort of thing). A negative reference could lead to the employee bringing an discrimination claim. So I wouldn't worry too much.

The most common way to get a significant pay rise is to change employer. It's the way of the world...

As to timeframe: yes absolutely, timescales should be clearly communicated by both sides. When does your current contract finish?

Fair enough. Thanks :smile:. I've never actually read a reference.

It ends at the end of August, I believe. But I stop working in July (I work in he education sector) so I'd have a bit of a buffer.
Reply 9
Fair enough. Thanks :smile:. I've never actually read a reference.

It ends at the end of August, I believe. But I stop working in July (I work in he education sector) so I'd have a bit of a buffer.

So are you trying to get a rise during your current contract? Do you have a quarterly or bi-annual review?

And here's a typical reference:

Dear NAME
EMPLOYMENT REFERENCE FOR STAFF NAME
Thank you for your recent letter concerning STAFF NAME.
I am pleased to confirm details of employment with us as below:
Job Title: ROLE
Start Date: DATE
Leaving Date: DATE
Please note it is our policy to only provide this basic information for employment referencepurposes. In accordance with COMPANY normal practice this reference is given in good faith and inconfidence, without legal liability on behalf of the author or COMPANY.
Yours sincerely
Director of HR
COMPANY
Original post by jneill
So are you trying to get a rise during your current contract? Do you have a quarterly or bi-annual review?

And here's a typical reference:

Dear NAME
EMPLOYMENT REFERENCE FOR STAFF NAME
Thank you for your recent letter concerning STAFF NAME.
I am pleased to confirm details of employment with us as below:
Job Title: ROLE
Start Date: DATE
Leaving Date: DATE
Please note it is our policy to only provide this basic information for employment referencepurposes. In accordance with COMPANY normal practice this reference is given in good faith and inconfidence, without legal liability on behalf of the author or COMPANY.
Yours sincerely
Director of HR
COMPANY

Nope. I want to have a say in the terms of the new fixed term contract I might be presented for the academic year before I start University.
My role was experimental and new and it requires more than was discussed.

Ah, I see. Thank you :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Nope. I want to have a say in the terms of the new fixed term contract I might be presented for the academic year before I start University.
My role was experimental and new and it requires more than was discussed.

Ah, I see. Thank you :smile:

Sounds like a plan.

I suggest starting negotiations 3 months before the end of your contract. Or sooner if you think they might find it hard to replace you...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Looks like he answered your questions.

(ignore point 4 from my previous post)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Sounds like a plan.

I suggest starting negotiations 3 months before the end of your contract. Or sooner if you think they might find it hard to replace you...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you. I plan to ask next week. Budgets and stuff are being decided so it seems like an opportune time and it gives enough notice incase they need to replace me.

Original post by Impressive
Looks like he answered your questions.

(ignore point 4 from my previous post)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your help :h:.
@Impressive @jneill

The irony is that I'm not wanted here after my contract. It's all good. My manager fought my corner. It was a business decision.

Just need to decide what I'm going to do now. My colleague reckons I should start looking for stuff to start asap.
Reply 15
@Impressive @jneill

The irony is that I'm not wanted here after my contract. It's all good. My manager fought my corner. It was a business decision.

Just need to decide what I'm going to do now. My colleague reckons I should start looking for stuff to start asap.

:frown:

Don't let it distract you from your studies (I'm sure you won't but... :wink: )
Original post by jneill
:frown:

Don't let it distract you from your studies (I'm sure you won't but... :wink: )

I won't. But I have big decisions to make potentially.

It's whether I deem it preferable to change jobs before exams or to apply for them and change after. I prefer to serve it and try to find something that starts in summer but I'm not totally happy about drafting good applications while I take my units (in june)

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
(edited 8 years ago)

1. Read up on negotiating wage raises. It has to be something in it for them rather than just wanting more money. You need to know what you are going to say and be clear rather than mumble through it. You need to be able to accept either outcome.

2. Why not look for new stuff now? Alternatively you cna accept a contract and then hand your noticce in. Theres not much need just to quit outright.

3. Timescale? it depends on relationship with mamanger and how close it is to the end of your contract. The moment you ask is the moment they know you may make another choice. is everyone else required to accept within a specifified ime ? it normally tells you. I would think you can drag it out for a few weeks, then anymore it really depends.

4. They have to write you a reference , but many employers are advised to keep it factual. I can confirm x worked here as x position between the dates a to b. If they write extra then it might be supportive or not. If its the latter then they have to be careful not to defame you.

Honestly look for another job and see what crops up. You should know the salary rates at your current workplace and who earns what or prospects for promotion. Wage negotiation is all about bargaining power as to why they should pay more?
@Impressive @jneill

What do you mean not wanted? They must have a reason for that, but there is no point in discussing this issue. (business people, all the same)

In your previous post you've said you're confident in finding a job, this means it shouldn't put any pressure on you whilst you'll be preparing for the exams. Unless, you'll apply to multiple companies and will receive negative responses from all of them and even worse if they tell you that via phone or... Ok.

If I were you, I would apply and change later because you don't necessarily know what the tasks will be like and what impact it will have on you and assumptions won't help. At the moment, you have a job that you know when to attend, what to do and colleagues you're comfortable with? So, example here, if you were to change your job now, let's say to a customer assistant, well not a good choice, especially before the exams because people can sometimes be rude and when you'll get back from that work you'll probably be affected because of your mood and things like revision will be hard to concentrate on.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending