The Student Room Group

When to start cutting for the summer (weightlifting)?

Ive been doing StrongLifts since mid October/early November.

My stats are as follows:

Height 5'2
Weight: 61.5 (I was at 57.4 mid-November)

Daily 2100-2200 kcals

Workout 3/4x a week :
Squat: 60
Deadlift: 70
Ohp: 22
Bench: 34
Rows: 38

I feel fat as hell and want to start cutting for the summer but I'm not sure:
a) when to start
b) what to restrict my cals to
c) if I should keep my programme the same?

Any help is appreciated! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

i don't think you'll notice a difference in your weight if you continue to lift, but should that matter? embrace the strength in those arms and legs :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by Xenon17
Sorry but 5 foot 2 and weighing 62 kg is very bad muscle or not its extremely unhealthily and not aesthetically pleasing.

wat

hence why i wanna cut lol
Original post by tootles44
wat

hence why i wanna cut lol

Start cutting hard now
Reply 4
Original post by Xenon17
Start cutting hard now

should I chop off my arms or my legs first

wait dyel??
Reply 5
Original post by shawn_o1
i don't think you'll notice a difference in your weight if you continue to lift, but should that matter? embrace the strength in those arms and legs :wink:

yeah coz I dont wanna be a flubber-dub during the summer i wanna be slim

but i appreciate ur response
yeah coz I dont wanna be a flubber-dub during the summer i wanna be slim

but i appreciate ur response

You should have no problems taking up a new sport with those lifting stats :wink:

My stats are as follows:

Height 5'2

Daily 2100-2200 kcals

Workout 3/4x a week :

a) when to start

very muscular chick
Reply 8
anybody who has some actual experience/advice?
x

Firstly, don't go off how people in magazines/Instagram look. Its hard to tell if some people are even #natty if they are lean year round.

If you personally don't like the body fat % you currently are and its mentally impacting you in a negative way then I would advice cutting. If you wake up everyday and are happy with the way you look then continue bulking and making progress.

A) Cut when you feel its right regardless of time/season etc.
B) Drop your maintenance calories by -200 or -300 and be patient.
C) Change the program if you fancy a change or would like to try something else. If you enjoy the program you are doing and are seeing results then continue.

Hope I helped! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Firstly, don't go off how people in magazines/Instagram look. Its hard to tell if some people are even #natty if they are lean year round.

If you personally don't like the body fat % you currently are and its mentally impacting you in a negative way then I would advice cutting. If you wake up everyday and are happy with the way you look then continue bulking and making progress.

A) Cut when you feel its right regardless of time/season etc.
B) Drop your maintenance calories by -200 or -300 and be patient.
C) Change the program if you fancy a change or would like to try something else. If you enjoy the program you are doing and are seeing results then continue.

Hope I helped! :smile:

Thanks for your reply :smile:

Only thing is that I like my program but Im just concerned about stalling and not being able to do it if I restrict my calories?
anybody who has some actual experience/advice?

Some advice for the future (which others might not agree with but if you want to look good year round then I recommend it)...don't "bulk" for very long periods i.e. at the very most 2 months I would say and still obviously aim to eat good foods, you will put on fat but it will be minimal if you keep an eye on it. This prevents you from getting too fat and makes cutting easier! Its much better to cut for 2-3 weeks knowing you'll look pretty great than to do a full on 12 week or more cut which will be a living hell.

Only thing is that I like my program but Im just concerned about stalling and not being able to do it if I restrict my calories?

What I found a good way to lose some BF and maintain/carrying on building muscle was restricting carbs in the diet, make sure you're getting a lot of protein in (if you use shakes, switch to low cal/low fat shakes). For cardio, before ore after you workout do a 15 minute cross training workout, and 2 times a week, do a cardio circuit (so I did 25 min cross-trainer, 10 min row, 10 min treadmill). Helped me a lot, hope it helps you too. Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
what the feck. I am a 96kg male with a lot of muscle, and I cut on 2100 cals. I think you should be cutting on lower cals babes.
If you've put on a significant amount of fat in your first 6 months, you've done it all wrong tbh. Eating too much for a beginner, you can gain strength and muscle just from eating at maintenance even if you're female. Never ideal to be cutting in your newb gains phase I say, but what's done is done.

Anyhow, when to start depends on when you plan to finish and how much you plan to lose. A caloric deficit of around 500 a day will see you losing about 1lb per week, 1000 a day for 2lbs a week and so on. So calculate how much you plan on losing per week (2lbs a week is a tad aggressive but perfectly healthy) against how much you're aiming to lose in total and when you want to be finished by, then you should be able to see when's the best time to start. Also, it's better to overestimate how long you'll need rather than reach the time you thought you'd be done and realise you're not quite there yet.
Reply 15
Original post by trapking
Some advice for the future (which others might not agree with but if you want to look good year round then I recommend it)...don't "bulk" for very long periods i.e. at the very most 2 months I would say and still obviously aim to eat good foods, you will put on fat but it will be minimal if you keep an eye on it. This prevents you from getting too fat and makes cutting easier! Its much better to cut for 2-3 weeks knowing you'll look pretty great than to do a full on 12 week or more cut which will be a living hell.

Yeah that sounds like good advice although I think it might serve me better once I achieve a decent amount of muscle and start hitting higher weights, and then it won't be a matter of trying to gain muscle as much as maintaining and slowly gaining. No idea where or when that point will be, especially since I just can't seem to be satisfied with how I look #foreversmall
Reply 16
Original post by Tomasio
what the feck. I am a 96kg male with a lot of muscle, and I cut on 2100 cals. I think you should be cutting on lower cals babes.

those are my bulking cals

If you like the program you are currently doing then I would suggest sticking to it. :smile: In regards to stalling, if you decide to cut do acknowledge you will notice a drop in strength over time but that is part of the game.

My advice to "not being able to do it if I restrict my calories" is to manipulate your meal timings i.e before/after workout so that if you decide to go on a cut it doesn't hinder your workout and works best for you. (everyone's preference is different)

My stats are as follows:

Height 5'2

Daily 2100-2200 kcals

Workout 3/4x a week :

a) when to start

a) I normally start cutting around 3 months before summer, bit earlier or later depending on how much I think I need to get rid of.

b) The absolute lowest you want your calorie intake is 400 calories below your recommended daily intake, normally I'd sit around 200-300 below.

c) You'll find that the weight you're capable of lifting will go down, because as you cut you'll lose some muscle with the fat and the fact that you've got less calories, so less energy to play with. For instance, my deadlift 1RM drops from 250 to around 210 when I'm cutting hard (I weight about 160lbs). In terms of changing your program, I normally drop one weightlifting session a week and add two cardio sessions, each of which consists of a 3k run warm up followed by 20 mins of tabata drills. Also, I shift my weightlifting to slightly lower weights for more reps, normally training in the 12-15 rep range instead of the 4-8 rep range for bulking.
Yeah that sounds like good advice although I think it might serve me better once I achieve a decent amount of muscle and start hitting higher weights, and then it won't be a matter of trying to gain muscle as much as maintaining and slowly gaining. No idea where or when that point will be, especially since I just can't seem to be satisfied with how I look #foreversmall

Remember, muscle isn't built quickly....it takes a lot of time. When you eat more calories to support new muscle growth fat gain is inevitable but you can minimise it by being smart with your training and nutrition. Slow and steady always wins the race...don't have unrealistic expectations and think you'll gain 10lbs of muscle in like 3 months it wont happen that fast unless you go on roids :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest