The Student Room Group

What does everyone think of the help to buy ISA?

Is it any good or not?
Im looking into them but would like other peoples opinions.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Emma:-)
Is it any good or not?
Im looking into them but would like other peoples opinions.

Better than nothing but certainly not the crisis remedy some believe.
Original post by Reue
Better than nothing but certainly not the crisis remedy some believe.

Thats what i was thinking. I was wondering if they are worth it or if i would be better off just having a normal ISA.
Reply 3
Thats what i was thinking. I was wondering if they are worth it or if i would be better off just having a normal ISA.

Worth it if you can fulfil the criteria. It is free money afterall.
wait we can buy ISA ?
Original post by the bear
wait we can buy ISA ?

What are you on about?
Reply 6
If there's any chance you'll be buying a house in the next decade, it's definitely worth putting money into one.

But it's kind of neither here nor there: the slow drip feed rate and relatively low ceiling; coupled with the maximum house value it can be applied to means that it's probably not going to make much difference for most people buying a house.
Reply 7
If you're planning on getting a house in the next 5 years it's a no brainer. The 25% bonus and competitive rates (4% at Halifax) make it a good option. The only problem is the low amounts saved- make sure you can put £1k in at the start to make it more worthwhile.
Reply 8
Why dont the Government introduce help to buy ISAs for new cars,the latest iphone and other similar items of desire? Why is HM Government pumping taxpayers money into systems to help to buy houses? What business is it of HMG? How can it be that taxpayers money from working people, many of whom can only afford to rent or are indeed,homeless,,,is being used to assist others to buy?

The bottom line is that the UK population lives in the smallest, crummiest most expensive poor quality poor value houses in the developed world and yet we are scrambling to buy one. The rich keep the land from the people and deliberately fuel housing shortages by which to profit. Also most people only live in half a house, aka a semi, and think themselves lucky. The rest of the world is laughing at us for being happy to live like rats.
Reply 9
Original post by Limpopo
Also most people only live in half a house, aka a semi, and think themselves lucky. The rest of the world is laughing at us for being happy to live like rats.

Whats wrong with a semi-detached? :s
Absolute rip off designed to **** you over.

Property in the UK hasn't yielded any decent return in the last few decades or so.

You're better off investing that money in a mix of global bonds & stock index funds.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Limpopo
Why dont the Government introduce help to buy ISAs for new cars,the latest iphone and other similar items of desire? Why is HM Government pumping taxpayers money into systems to help to buy houses? What business is it of HMG? How can it be that taxpayers money from working people, many of whom can only afford to rent or are indeed,homeless,,,is being used to assist others to buy?

The bottom line is that the UK population lives in the smallest, crummiest most expensive poor quality poor value houses in the developed world and yet we are scrambling to buy one. The rich keep the land from the people and deliberately fuel housing shortages by which to profit. Also most people only live in half a house, aka a semi, and think themselves lucky. The rest of the world is laughing at us for being happy to live like rats.

I remember something someone wrote on here a year or so ago. "There's a reason why you're poor, and it has nothing to do with anyone else"

well martin lewis says they a con down to lower interest rates so you get less over all over say 5-10 years need to get a full deposit
Reply 13
Original post by Fickschlitten

Property in the UK hasn't yielded any decent return in the last few decades or so.

You're better off investing that money in a mix of global bonds & stock index funds.

The property doesn't need to yield a return, but a 25% guaranteed bonus on an investment in five years plus a competitive savings interest rate (4% with Barclays) is still a no-brainer for anyone looking to first time buy. Passive investing isn't likely to result in anything like a similar return, but it would carry much higher risk.

Original post by ImNotSuperman
I remember something someone wrote on here a year or so ago. "There's a reason why you're poor, and it has nothing to do with anyone else"

Well that's obvious bs.
Reply 14
Original post by Fickschlitten

I have to disagree. Investing in your own personal residential property makes sense.

Buy-to-let and property purely for investment does not.
Original post by Reue
I have to disagree. Investing in your own personal residential property makes sense.

Buy-to-let and property purely for investment does not.

Yes, i was thinking the one in bold when posting.
Original post by Reue
Whats wrong with a semi-detached? :s

There is nothing wrong with them per se but they, like so many UK houses, are vastly overpriced. Now i know we are stuck with them as semis were built in their thousands in the 30s/40s/50s but why on earth are they still ,in this modern era, building houses that are stuck to eachother? Check any new development and they are building communal gyppo homes all connected. I do not wish to live in some kind of commune and there is no reason why they cannot build all detached homes. What are we talking about after all? A few more bricks?

No they do it to rip off purchasers by building homes as cheaply as possible, cramming them together and selling them for top dollar as premium products.

Go travel to many developed countries and they would laugh at us living like cattle in tiny boxes all glued together and costing a lifetimes slave labour to buy.
Original post by ImNotSuperman

Then they were almost completely wrong. The average UK citizen is poor. They just dont know it.
Original post by Limpopo
I do not wish to live in some kind of commune and there is no reason why they cannot build all detached homes. What are we talking about after all? A few more bricks?

Then pay more for a detached house - there's plenty of them, it's not like you don't have a choice. Just because you don't like semi detached houses, doesn't mean other people don't like them.

There's 65 million people living on a tiny island. Land is expensive, and it's just going to get more expensive as the population continues to rise.
Reply 19
Original post by Limpopo
Go travel to many developed countries and they would laugh at us living like cattle in tiny boxes all glued together and costing a lifetimes slave labour to buy.

I rather like my semi-detached, and it won't cost anywhere near a lifetime to pay off :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending