The Student Room Group

House mate will not pay his bills

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by CarlieeeeA
Well it if the landlord evicts him we are going to be liable for this rent and no one wants to pay it.

Depends on your tenancy agreement. You've made it sound like you have separate tenancy agreements as your deposits are handled separately..
Reply 21
Original post by 999tigger
Its worth looking at the tenancy agreement so someone can assess exactly what the rleationship and obligations are between the LL and tenants as well as between the tenants themselves.

Unless its a bedsit; bills are almost always the liability of the tenant's.

Whats the point in telling debt collectors? How does that help the OP?

May stop them harassing her at the property.
Original post by Reue
Unless its a bedsit; bills are almost always the liability of the tenant's.

May stop them harassing her at the property.

Without seeing the documents I couldnt say where the liability lies. If I was drafting for the LL then i'd expect it to fall with the tenants, but even then iy might give me clarification on how bills were to be split between each other and what happens in the event of one tenant not paying.

For the moment devt collectors are only going to be unhelpful. Any money he pays ver is less money to pay bills, plus they will keep coming back. All the OP is bothered about is him paying his utiliy bills over other debts. Its possible leverage, so telling them about him is too early. Doesnt help the OP imo.
Reply 23
Without seeing the documents I couldnt say where the liability lies. If I was drafting for the LL then i'd expect it to fall with the tenants, but even then iy might give me clarification on how bills were to be split between each other and what happens in the event of one tenant not paying.

If the landlord is not liable for the bills then that is the end of their involvement. The utility bills are therefore a contract between the tenants + the utility company and so nothing in the tenancy agreement can overrule or change that.

This has been proven multiple times through the DPS where landlords have tried to interfere with tenants + utility companies (such as withholding deposits until all bills are cleared) and every time the DPS have ruled that landlords have no right to be involved.
Original post by CarlieeeeA
The only thing it would help with is that the letters would go to his parents house, his parents are unaware that he owes about £2,000+.

1.If he has paid a deposit, then you could ask the LL to refuse to return that if a condition is that he is required to pay the bills.

2. If the way you are splitting the bills is bill/ housemates and you expect a full share from him, then you cna see part of the problem. he would be subsidising everyone else. he signed up for it, but I can see why it might grate. You the housmates might ask him for less if he pays up now.

3. You best leverage is to contact his parents if he wont pay. It shouldnt be all on you, its importnat all the housemates act together.
Original post by Reue
If the landlord is not liable for the bills then that is the end of their involvement. The utility bills are therefore a contract between the tenants + the utility company and so nothing in the tenancy agreement can overrule or change that.

This has been proven multiple times through the DPS where landlords have tried to interfere with tenants + utility companies (such as withholding deposits until all bills are cleared) and every time the DPS have ruled that landlords have no right to be involved.

The operative word being if

neither you nor I have seen the tenancu agreement. I prefer to know the exact nature of the relationship rather than guess.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending