The Student Room Group

Student loan UK HELP

How does
(edited 2 years ago)
International students aren't entitled to a student loan for accommodation or tuition, I'm afraid.
Reply 2
Original post by patongirl
Hey! I'm going to be studying at Durham for 4 years as an International Student, I have family savings to pay 3 years of the tuition and accommodation, but it's very expensive... Is it posible to as for a student loan to pay the last year of study and accommodation? and if it is.. how? when do i apply and where? I'm an UK national, but I haven't lived in the UK for many years so I'm being counted as international for now.

You mention that you are a UK national so do you have a UK or European passport? If so then you should be be classed as a home student and not be paying international student fees. You need to let the University know.
Reply 3
Original post by poem09
You mention that you are a UK national so do you have a UK or European passport? If so then you should be be classed as a home student and not be paying international student fees. You need to let the University know.

No. Fee status is based on residency not nationality. If OP lives outside UK/EU they are classed as International.

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/Home-or-Overseas-fees/England-Higher-Education

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by poem09

Hi
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by jneill
No. Fee status is based on residency not nationality. If OP lives outside UK/EU they are classed as International.

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/Home-or-Overseas-fees/England-Higher-Education

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi
Thank you. When I get to be a resident in 3 years, would I be able to ask for a loan to pay my UK tuition for the last year only?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Tiger Rag
International students aren't entitled to a student loan for accommodation or tuition, I'm afraid.

I'
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Will you have been a UK resident for the previous 3 years? Not just during term time, but your home would need to be UK.

I kno
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by patongirl
I know, I'll be living in the UK for my degree..So the question is more, can you get loans just for the last year of a degree?

Your eligibility is based solely on your residency status at the start of your course. This will not change. If you started your course classed as an International student, that will be your status for the duration of your course, regardless of its length.

In addition, years when you were living in the UK solely for the purpose of education, do not count as being resident for Student Finance purposes.

You are not entitled to any Student Finance.
Reply 9
Original post by Klix88
Your eligibility is based solely on your residency status at the start of your course. This will not change. If you started your course classed as an International student, that will be your status for the duration of your course, regardless of its length.

In addition, years when you were living in the UK solely for the purpose of education, do not count as being resident for Student Finance purposes.

You are not entitled to any Student Finance.

Thanks for clarifying :smile:
Kilx has it spot on. It's always you have to live in the UK for at least 3 years prior to starting your course, for reasons other than education.
Would you be able to get a job during the first three years to make enough money for the other year?
Original post by emmamariekitty
Would you be able to get a job during the first three years to make enough money for the other year?

Th thread is 4 years old.
Tier 4 visa max 20 hours a week plus termtime. Work more than that and visa revoked.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending