The Student Room Group

Drama and theatre studies applicants 2016 entry!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sweeding
I'm really enjoying reading your blog! You sound like you're doing bloody well! I'm going to be auditioning for 2017 entry - after a failed year of auditioning in 2014 - so this is giving me great insight into the other school's process and what to expect. Similarly to the reply below, I'd love to know what your modern and song were, they sound like they've had a a great reception from the panelists (obviously understand if you want to keep it quiet).Rooting for you!x

Well hey there! So happy to hear you're enjoying my blog! I know I found reading other people's blogs useful for auditions so I'm glad you think my exp is a good insight! And yes, unfortunately, you hit the nail on the head and I will keep those things quiet :':wink: sorry. But, if I get into drama school this year I will post what I did on my blog. And thank you that's so nice!! Good luck for your upcoming year of drama school auditions :biggrin: x
Reply 441
Is 'Pulled' too overdone? Because I seriously can't find another song that I like as much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Guys, I'm currently auditioning for the 2016 entry for Drama Schools and decided to start a blog to hopefully help others and also as a release, the blog is called "Thememoirsofastrugglingactor . wordpress . com" hope you like it!
Original post by zu-zu
Hello everyone :smile:. I've been wondering for sooooo long if there is a chance for a foreigner ( I'm Polish) to study drama in a good college/consrvatory etc. I've been trying to find information in the internet but without any result. Maybe the fact that I'm not a native English speaker is and a person like that might be a bit problematic while studying because of the accent, pronounciation and stuff like that...? I'm confused. To become an actress is my biggest aspiration but I want to know the truth if there is a place in film/ TV/theatre industry for foreigner. And I mean truly foreigner, never living in the UK before. Have you heard of a situation that something like that worked? I you can, please reply. Cheers :smile:.

That's exactly my concern! In my case I find it even worse because I'm from Brazil and to get a work visa after finishing school is quite hard. Not to mention the costs... One cannot think rationally when making such a decision, I think we need to take a shot and let intuition speak first. I have no doubt that what I want to spent my days and money studying is acting but I keep thinking of what else, theatre related, I could do that would help me to get a visa to stay after graduating, and perhaps try acting and performing on the side.
I'm also open to all opinions :smile:
Original post by YScovino
That's exactly my concern! In my case I find it even worse because I'm from Brazil and to get a work visa after finishing school is quite hard. Not to mention the costs... One cannot think rationally when making such a decision, I think we need to take a shot and let intuition speak first. I have no doubt that what I want to spent my days and money studying is acting but I keep thinking of what else, theatre related, I could do that would help me to get a visa to stay after graduating, and perhaps try acting and performing on the side.
I'm also open to all opinions :smile:

I would contact the staff at the drama schools you want to apply to asking about this
Reply 445
Original post by BruB
I'll have mine on the 4th of April.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mine is the 4th of April too!
Original post by Aquamed
Mine is the 4th of April too!

I have my central on the 4th April too :smile:
Reply 447
Original post by GLindsay1
I have my central on the 4th April too :smile:

Sweet! I'm not sure if we'll have nametags but a couple of my friends have already had their central and it's a huge group split into three though... I'm sure knowing someone there would calm the nerves though! :smile:
Reply 448
I have auditioned for all drama schools other than Mountview and East 15 this year; if anyone needs insight into what to expect feel free to shoot me a question :smile:
Reply 449
Hi Izzi,

How did it go? I have auditions for guildhall, royal Welsh, drama centre and central coming up. No ideas what to do for my song for guildhall! Do you have any tips/advice??

Xxxx
Reply 450
Original post by msaot
Hi Izzi,

How did it go? I have auditions for guildhall, royal Welsh, drama centre and central coming up. No ideas what to do for my song for guildhall! Do you have any tips/advice??

Xxxx

Hi! I'm on the reserve list for BSA and I got to the final round of LIPA. I also have a few foundation offers (all of which I'm happy with considering it's my first year applying).

If you're applying for straight acting, Guildhall probably won't ask for your song at the first round audition (they didn't to me or anyone else there whilst I was there). I would recommend something you're comfortable with though and definitely from a musical theatre production. Guildhall LOVE eyecontact and truth so I would recommend adjusting your pieces to be as truthful as you can and do not, for your life, do a 'Shakespeare' voice. They hate it. Just use your normal voice. :smile:

- Drama Centre was real interesting. At my audition another guy was there and he didn't get put up on the recall list (that they do mid-way through the day) BUT he got an email weeks later inviting him to the final round audition. So if you don't get through to the afternoon don't take it as a straight no. :smile: It's a pretty fast audition - in and out then the list is put up.

Central is lovely - it's a really fun day and I just recommend you try to meet lots of new people and spend the day with that group. Be yourself and try to stand out in the workshops - do something that the other applicants aren't. (For example we were asked to be yellow so everyone was happy and the sun, so I was sickly and unwell).
Original post by izziiha
I have auditioned for all drama schools other than Mountview and East 15 this year; if anyone needs insight into what to expect feel free to shoot me a question :smile:

Any advice on Rose Bruford, Italia Conti and ALRA? :smile:
Reply 452
Oh wow that's amazing!! Well done. I think I will be applying for BSA :smile: let us know how you get on. Thank you for all the information, Was Guildhall a group audition and did they question you?
Reply 453
Original post by PAStudent1996
Any advice on Rose Bruford, Italia Conti and ALRA? :smile:

Rose Bruford is such a beautiful place. You literally go in individually and then leave. They stop you in your second speech so do the one you are most confident in first. They don't really talk to you either it's all about your performance.

ALRA is my least favourite school. They were disorganised, rude and just a bit like wtf. I booked an audition date then they told me a few days before that that date wasn't actually going to happen. I went to a rescheduled date and I wasn't even on the register. You're supposed to get your result in two weeks. I got my offer for the foundation in THREE months after two emails from me. Sure enough I'm not going to take it. It might be for you but I'd actually not want to apply there again. If you love it there just be yourself. In the workshop just try to be relaxed which is what they're looking for.

Italia Conti is lovely. They look for individuality so just be yourself and try and represent yourself in your pieces.
Reply 454
Original post by msaot
Oh wow that's amazing!! Well done. I think I will be applying for BSA :smile: let us know how you get on. Thank you for all the information, Was Guildhall a group audition and did they question you?

BSA initial audition would be the one I'd do first next year as they are the only one that give you direct feedback on the day so it's really really useful!

Guildhall starts with a workshop where apparently you're not assessed but I honestly think they form a judgement about you there too. You play some games and they really focus on trying to be naturalistic. So we like stood at a "shop window" and had to see something we loved. They stopped us and then tried again but naturally. So aim to do that to impress them in the workshop. Then they call you in one by one (it takes forever) and you do your pieces and they redirect you and then ask some questions. Then you can wait until everyone has done it (it can be like 3 hours of waiting) and they say who they will recall. Or you can leave and phone them the next day to get your result.
Reply 455
Anyone heard back from Guildford? When are they holding their recalls?
Reply 456
Any tips for RADA?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 457
Original post by BruB
Any tips for RADA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

RADA was lovely. It ultimately depends how old you are. They genuinely rarely ever take anyone 17/18 years old and love those with degrees already or being over 21 increases your chances.
I'd suggest just being yourself. They are interested in what you enjoy. Do you like Shakespeare? Physical theatre? Make sure to directly state your interests.
Original post by TP0983
Anyone heard back from Guildford? When are they holding their recalls?

I'm still waiting to see if I got a recall or not. Probably will find out next week.
Original post by izziiha
Rose Bruford is such a beautiful place. You literally go in individually and then leave. They stop you in your second speech so do the one you are most confident in first. They don't really talk to you either it's all about your performance.

ALRA is my least favourite school. They were disorganised, rude and just a bit like wtf. I booked an audition date then they told me a few days before that that date wasn't actually going to happen. I went to a rescheduled date and I wasn't even on the register. You're supposed to get your result in two weeks. I got my offer for the foundation in THREE months after two emails from me. Sure enough I'm not going to take it. It might be for you but I'd actually not want to apply there again. If you love it there just be yourself. In the workshop just try to be relaxed which is what they're looking for.

Italia Conti is lovely. They look for individuality so just be yourself and try and represent yourself in your pieces.

Thanks for the advice.

Do you have anymore regarding ArtsEd and LAMDA?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending