The Student Room Group

Have you heard of 'cheating watches'?

I have an interview with BBC Radio Scotland at 6.45am tomorrow and wondered if anyone has views on or has heard of these new 'cheating watches'?!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35716523

Scroll to see replies

Teachers will clock them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Captain Jack
I have an interview with BBC Radio Scotland at 6.45am tomorrow and wondered if anyone has views on or has heard of these new 'cheating watches'?!

We aren't even allowed digital watches when we take exams, nevermind these :dontknow:
Reply 3
What, you mean this?

I've not heard of a specific 'cheating watch' but in secondary school during our GCSEs, we'd share the exam hall with the sixth form as they took their A-Levels too… One of them was removed from the exam halfway through for allegedly cheating. We were then told in assembly that the person removed had been disqualified for using an Apple Watch to cheat! Apparently, they'd texted themselves the details they needed and casually read it off of their wrist! I can't believe the invigilators didn't notice sooner. This seems to check out, because I can read really long strings of text on my Apple Watch too. It never occurred to me to cheat with it though…

After that, all forms of wristwatches were banned.

Edit: before the bright sparks jump in, no, it wasn't me who cheated :rofl:
As long as no watches of any kind are allowed into the exam hall, this should be easy to avoid.
Original post by Captain Jack

Finally, cheating watches! About goddamn time :lol:
Original post by lustawny
What, you mean this?

i cant be the only one that ever thought about kidnapping him and mildly torturing him to make him give up the watch?

I would use it and then when I got bored of it I would sell it to the North Koreans
You can easily cheat for exams, put formulae in a sock and asked to go to loo, program your Texas TI84 to help you, heck for our GCSE's the teachers cooked our science controlled assessment scores.

If people don't think cheating is widespread, they're idiots. For the record, I never cheated in my exams, but for language orals at GCSE our teacher mimed what to say and our controlled assessments were all put down as A*'s which to be fair to me, I had no control over.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Not so 'smart' to wear 'smart' devices in the first place tbh. Don't keep microwave radiating devices next to your skin, never mind cheat, kids :naughty:

I was so worried about the waves coming from my mobile phone the first time I got one that I kept it in a mug on the windowsill way across the room from where I used to sit.

Now I sleep next to it.
Original post by mscaffrey
I was so worried about the waves coming from my mobile phone the first time I got one that I kept it in a mug on the windowsill way across the room from where I used to sit.

Now I sleep next to it.

Mugs always have your back
Original post by Feel Tha Bern
You can easily cheat for exams, put formulae in a sock and asked to go to loo, program your Texas TI84 to help you, heck for our GCSE's the teachers cooked our science controlled assessment scores.

If people don't think cheating is widespread, they're idiots. For the record, I never cheated in my exams, but for language orals at GCSE our teacher mimed what to say and our controlled assessments were all put down as A*'s which to be fair to me, I had no control over.

I am annoyed how is that fair on people who actually work hard? For orals, I learn everything off by heart and actually put the effort in while others are getting A* who don't deserve them.
Original post by Tinka99
I am annoyed how is that fair on people who actually work hard? For orals, I learn everything off by heart and actually put the effort in while others are getting A* who don't deserve them.

It's not fair. That's why it's called cheating.

I doubt cheating watches are being used widely in the UK. Invigilators are pretty good at seeing when people are fiddling with things they shouldn't be fiddling with during exams, and now this is known people aren't going to get away with pressing buttons on watches.
Reply 13
If you wear a long sleeve I doubt people would even see it

Posted from TSR Mobile
google glass... probably too bait.
Original post by Rtdsv
If you wear a long sleeve I doubt people would even see it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Presumably you would have to move your sleeve in order for you to see it. And that's when an invigilator would be on your back.
Original post by lustawny
What, you mean this?

Lol I just thought of that but you beat me to it :biggrin:.
Pretty ironic that @Captain Jack is going to go on the radio talking about how bad it is to cheat in exams or whatever after getting his forum to do all the homework for him smdfjh :nn:
^the J in that acronym stands for jesus FYI
Haha ive been wearing my Pebble smartwatch all through college and havnt got pulled for it yet. Got asked by a lecturer what it was once when I was reading an email through it lol.

Quick Reply

Latest