The Student Room Group

Royal Navy School - C4

Bit surprised there's been no mention on the TSR Armed Forces forum about this continuing series on C4 showing the basic training regime (boot camp) for RN recruits at HMS Raleigh.

Thought there might be a bit of discussion about the programme and issues raised. No?

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/royal-navy-school
(edited 8 years ago)
Its an amazing documentary I love it!!!

Although I would never join the army I just love watching programs about it.
Original post by urbanlocations
Its an amazing documentary I love it!!!

Although I would never join the army I just love watching programs about it.

Funny thing is, it isn't about the Army?
Reply 3
Original post by Ikaruss
Thought there might be a bit of discussion about the programme and issues raised. No?

As you well know, 99% of people here are looking at the RAF, but I imagine rum rations is giving it suitable focus (it's not come up on pprune either).
Reply 4
Original post by Drewski
As you well know, 99% of people here are looking at the RAF, but I imagine rum rations is giving it suitable focus (it's not come up on pprune either).

Yes mate, I know that, but it's a programme showing a UK military Phase 1 course - there must be a few peeps on here who must be wondering if this is what Halton is like?

Sitting in the comfort of our living room, Mrs Ikky and I (both ex RAF) have been watching the series with wry smiles. Just wondering what the RN hierarchy think about it as a recruiting campaign - also wondering what effect it has on potential recruits. Does it make the Navy look more attractive as a career or is the programme a massive turnoff?

Personally, if I was at any military establishment where TV cameras were filming, I'd refuse to engage in any way shape or form and would insist on being pixellated. When I joined the RAF in the late 70s, the BBC documentary series Fighter Pilot had just been filmed. One of my crew captains (made Stn Cdr and 1*) featured in the OASC episode, but the pilots who did have the spotlight on them never lived down appearing in the series and never really achieved high rank in their RAF careers.
Reply 5
Original post by Ikaruss
Yes mate, I know that, but it's a programme showing a UK military Phase 1 course - there must be a few peeps on here who must be wondering if this is what Halton is like?

Sitting in the comfort of our living room, Mrs Ikky and I (both ex RAF) have been watching the series with wry smiles. Just wondering what the RN hierarchy think about it as a recruiting campaign - also wondering what effect it has on potential recruits. Does it make the Navy look more attractive as a career or is the programme a massive turnoff?

Personally, if I was at any military establishment where TV cameras were filming, I'd refuse to engage in any way shape or form and would insist on being pixellated. When I joined the RAF in the late 70s, the BBC documentary series Fighter Pilot had just been filmed. One of my crew captains (made Stn Cdr and 1*) featured in the OASC episode, but the pilots who did have the spotlight on them never lived down appearing in the series and never really achieved high rank in their RAF careers.

Can't be worse than Bad Lad's Army...

I was at Cranwell when Ewan McGregor and his brother filmed the BBC Battle of Britain documentary, think I'm in the background somewhere when they filmed a bit of drill in front of CHOM.
Reply 6
Original post by Drewski
Can't be worse than Bad Lad's Army...

I was at Cranwell when Ewan McGregor and his brother filmed the BBC Battle of Britain documentary, think I'm in the background somewhere when they filmed a bit of drill in front of CHOM.

Ah yes mate, I remember you! Are you still getting the royalties?

Another mate was also filmed doing drill at OCTU RAF Henlow during that Fighter Pilot series. Poor bloke was quite obviously tick-tocking (very badly!) - how do you think that played out in his subsequent career? Other pals were selected to take part in a docu series about the Dambusters, when they were going through WSOp training at Cranwell. They got to undertake some of the elements of training for each of the Lancaster crew positions and were very lucky to actually get a flight in the Canadian Lanc, Sadly one of the group was subsequently lost in a flying accident, RIP Tapper.

Only today, I've just seen one of my old Sqn chums getting his 15 secs of fame on Chinese state telly. Small piece to camera at a trade fair in the Mddlle East! That's going to cost him dear in beer!

I've always managed to avoid any exposure (by hook or by crook) on TV, although I did have to do a radio interview for a major SAR incident I was involved in once. However, my only other claim to fame is that my desk and desktop were featured (in passing) in a C4 documentary about my new line of work about this time last year. However, one of the guys I work with is on TV and radio virtually every other week - he's welcome to it!

So..... back to the RN.......
We didn't wander around No1 Mess glued to our smartphones in my day!

Quite a reasonable programme, although I've only managed to see the most recent episode.
Reply 8
From what I've seen of it, the instructors go far too easy on the recruits and seem too 'pally' with them. Maybe because the cameras are on.

The Navy eh, what they like.
Original post by 0902
Funny thing is, it isn't about the Army?

Who said it was about the army?
Original post by urbanlocations
Who said it was about the army?

By 'Army' did you actually mean Armed Forces, as you said you'd never join the Army?

This forum thread is about the Royal Navy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 0902
By 'Army' did you actually mean Armed Forces, as you said you'd never join the Army?

This forum thread is about the Royal Navy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know its the royal navy but technically it's an 'army' in my eyes anyway.
Reply 12
Original post by Fritz Bollinger
We didn't wander around No1 Mess glued to our smartphones in my day!

Quite a reasonable programme, although I've only managed to see the most recent episode.

Fritz, I can relate to the phys, the traditional 'shock of capture' environment and kit inspections with bed packs flung out the window as a minimum. What I can't relate to is the recruit's everyday language (male and female) and what they consider to be acceptable behaviour which they're happy to be filmed doing. I guess that's a reflection of modern British society - but bit surprised and disappointed that the DS are equally crude and content to have their personal issues (female PO discussing her Tinder account ffs) aired in public. Do they not care about their careers? Are the RN management happy to have the DS 'role model' behaviour laid bare to the British public and more importantly, potential recruits and their families.

Or is it just me?
Original post by Ikaruss
Fritz, I can relate to the phys, the traditional 'shock of capture' environment and kit inspections with bed packs flung out the window as a minimum. What I can't relate to is the recruit's everyday language (male and female) and what they consider to be acceptable behaviour which they're happy to be filmed doing. I guess that's a reflection of modern British society - but bit surprised and disappointed that the DS are equally crude and content to have their personal issues (female PO discussing her Tinder account ffs) aired in public. Do they not care about their careers? Are the RN management happy to have the DS 'role model' behaviour laid bare to the British public and more importantly, potential recruits and their families.

Or is it just me?

I'd say, respectfully, that your view is perhaps slightly dated.

I agree with what you're saying, but equally, painting the forces - and the people in them - to be out of date and anachronistic is a surefire way to turn off the 17/18 yr olds it needs to recruit.

At the same time, there's probably a demand from the programme makers to show a human side. It is c4 after all.
Reply 14
Original post by Drewski
I'd say, respectfully, that your view is perhaps slightly dated.

I agree with what you're saying, but equally, painting the forces - and the people in them - to be out of date and anachronistic is a surefire way to turn off the 17/18 yr olds it needs to recruit.

At the same time, there's probably a demand from the programme makers to show a human side. It is c4 after all.

Thanks mate for confirming what I suspected from the lack of apparent interest in this programme ie that the behaviour shown is perfectly normal for both recruits and mentors. I'm fully aware that our society has become more liberal and what was taboo in my youth is mainstream and acceptable today - if the public is happy with that, then great. I guess the only people who will be upset are Daily Mail readers, and various 'Disgusted's of Tunbridge Wells'

Personally, I couldn't give a monkeys about the habits of either recruits or staff, I've seen and heard it all and its not my problem any more. However, I bet there's a few RN Lieutenants, Lt Cdrs and Captains who are cringing at the future of the Senior Service based on the output of places like Raleigh.

What the British taxpayer thinks about the modern Navy is one thing, have you considered what our potential adversaries will think about the UK Armed Forces if this programme is representative of all 3 services? I'm not sure they would be shaking in their boots.

Edited to add:

Agree that it is C4 Drewski mate! I'm sure there's few programmes commissioned unless the human element is emphasised with plenty of male and female emoting. As I said above, I'd love to be a fly on the wall at the First Sea Lord's Star Chamber (or whatever they call it) to hear if the management are happy with the programme or think it's an unmitigated PR disaster. Anyone know what they're saying on Rum Ration?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ikaruss
have you considered what our potential adversaries will think about the UK Armed Forces if this programme is representative of all 3 services?

Anyone know what they're saying on Rum Ration?

Tbf, after the HMS Cornwall incident of '07 (that's nearly 10 years ago, really?!) I'm not sure a TV programme will affect other's views of our Navy.

Had a quick look, couldn't see anything about it. Didn't risk Arrse, would wager they're not being overly complimentary...
Reply 16
Original post by Drewski
Tbf, after the HMS Cornwall incident of '07 (that's nearly 10 years ago, really?!) I'm not sure a TV programme will affect other's views of our Navy.

Had a quick look, couldn't see anything about it. Didn't risk Arrse, would wager they're not being overly complimentary...

Mate, had to Google the Cornwall incident, couldn't remember it! For some reason though I do remember the HMS Nottingham grounding, and the various submarine dinks with uncharted bits of rock and other SSBNs. HMS Astute is either an unlucky boat or a symptom of a deeper malaise.

Couldn't resist checking the Rum rations. There's 43 pages related to the programme and I liked this quote http://www.navy-net.co.uk/community/threads/navy-school.128951/page-39

I liked the juxtaposition of the young female getting a *******ing for kissing her boyfriend and the PO searching through Tinder for her next shag.

Oh well, guess it's just me. I'll calm down and have another wine....
Reply 17
Started this thead to discover how this series was viewed by potential recruits to the RN specifically, but also by those interested in the other 2 services.

If you assume that Phase 1 training is run on similar lines for all 3 services, does this programme:

a.Put you off joining the military
b.Inspire you to sign up
c.Have no effect on your interest either way

I have no hidden agenda, and have no current connection to the military. I'm just genuinely interested in your views.

Quick Reply

Latest