The Student Room Group

What stationery do you use at uni?

Bit of a random one, and this might be course dependent, but what stationery do you use?

Rather than the obvious pens etc, I mean do you use notebooks, ring binders, or plastic folders? Or all/none of the above?

How does it work in lectures and seminars, do you take notes? How about in your own spare time, what sort of work do you do, and what stationery do you use to do this?

So if you were to advise a fresher about what to buy, what would it be?

If you could also state your course that would be great, as I'm sure it varies! I'm looking to do BSc Geography.

Scroll to see replies

If I can find a working pen and a scrap of paper, I'm good to go! :u:
I almost always just use google docs on my chromebook now.
But in labs I need a pen, pencil, ruler, calculator, marker pen and paper/graph paper.

Study biomed.

I wouldn't advise you to buy anything in particular, people prefer different methods of note taking. Do what feels right to you, not what everyone else is doing.
Reply 3
Original post by SophieSmall
I almost always just use google docs on my chromebook now.
But in labs I need a pen, pencil, ruler, calculator, marker pen and paper/graph paper.

Study biomed.

I wouldn't advise you to buy anything in particular, people prefer different methods of note taking. Do what feels right to you, not what everyone else is doing.

Thank you for your advice - would you say these notes are useful, and do you store them in any way? I guess I'm trying to gauge how the teaching/ learning experience will be.
Original post by Han-
Thank you for your advice - would you say these notes are useful, and do you store them in any way? I guess I'm trying to gauge how the teaching/ learning experience will be.

google documents automatically saves every letter I type, they're stored online.

Not sure if the notes are useful to be honest, knowing the lecture content is useful and going back through the notes to see what topics were covered. But I definitely don't use them as my main source of revision at all.

If you're going to university expecting the teaching and learning experience to be anything like A-levels or college you'll be in for a shock. University is very much independent learning.
I used highlighters, pens and I had notebooks and folders for each module.
Reply 6
Not at uni atm, but for lectures, check out Livescribe pens. You can write your notes, and it'll sync them up to your computer/phone, and record and link the audio as well, so if you're not sure about a sentence you've written, you can hear that from the lecturer's mouth.
Reply 7
Original post by Han-
Bit of a random one, and this might be course dependent, but what stationery do you use?

Rather than the obvious pens etc, I mean do you use notebooks, ring binders, or plastic folders? Or all/none of the above?

How does it work in lectures and seminars, do you take notes? How about in your own spare time, what sort of work do you do, and what stationery do you use to do this?

So if you were to advise a fresher about what to buy, what would it be?

If you could also state your course that would be great, as I'm sure it varies! I'm looking to do BSc Geography.

I am studying Business Management at Newman University. I remember in the summer when I went out and bought pretty books, brand new matching stationary and hole punchers and staplers (Everything from either Poundland or the Works, the best thing is all are affordable!)
Out of all the things I bought I use notepads the most as sometimes lecturers might talk fast and you can afford to sit there writing up notes in pretty books. I can be as messy as I like and when I go home I write or type everything up neatly and I have plastic folders (Tesco do nice ones that don't break as easily and are affordable!) all my notes are kept in these folders organised in plastic wallets or dividers which you can get from Poundland.
What I did for semester 2 is take out all my plastic wallets from each folder and are now stored in a box and I am re using all the folders instead of wasting money on more.
We occasionally do graphs so a ruler, pencil, rubber, sharpner etc is useful. Highlighters are a must! It useful to highlight keys words instead of chunks of information.
At our uni we are allowed to have laptops in lectures to type as we go along but most of the content is made available online especially if you miss a lecture. So I mostly use the content and then add in from my notes anything missing for example if we have discussions in class I can add a slide in sync with the lectures notes. Our lecturers also kindly give out handouts of the powerpoint with space to make notes alongside them.
I took rough notes on paper and then put it in a ring binder for each module, then rewrote those notes neater/with highlighting as part of revision, so pens, paper, ring binders for me (psychology), quite a lot of my lecturers would also print out lecture notes for everyone so quite often I'd just take notes on that
I use lined sheets of papers and a blue pen for lecture notes (my handwriting looks awesome in blue). Always use black for exam writing.

I have a folder, where I will put all my lecture notes from that week into the designated module section. I put any worksheets or reading sheets they handed me into plastic wallets. I also have a foolscrap box file where I put all my feedback sheets from my essays in along with my essays too. I think half of this is to do with looking back at them in years to come.
Original post by Kam Brar
I am studying Business Management at Newman University. I remember in the summer when I went out and bought pretty books, brand new matching stationary and hole punchers and staplers (Everything from either Poundland or the Works, the best thing is all are affordable!)
Out of all the things I bought I use notepads the most as sometimes lecturers might talk fast and you can afford to sit there writing up notes in pretty books. I can be as messy as I like and when I go home I write or type everything up neatly and I have plastic folders (Tesco do nice ones that don't break as easily and are affordable!) all my notes are kept in these folders organised in plastic wallets or dividers which you can get from Poundland.
What I did for semester 2 is take out all my plastic wallets from each folder and are now stored in a box and I am re using all the folders instead of wasting money on more.
We occasionally do graphs so a ruler, pencil, rubber, sharpner etc is useful. Highlighters are a must! It useful to highlight keys words instead of chunks of information.
At our uni we are allowed to have laptops in lectures to type as we go along but most of the content is made available online especially if you miss a lecture. So I mostly use the content and then add in from my notes anything missing for example if we have discussions in class I can add a slide in sync with the lectures notes. Our lecturers also kindly give out handouts of the powerpoint with space to make notes alongside them.

im doing business management too but at a different uni. have you done the finance module yet
Pen and paper is all I need (and a laptop to acess notes...)

Funny story though, I was doing a multiple choice test yesterday where you needed to answer in pencil so that a machine could mark the answers, and guess what I forgot.. a rubber! :getmecoat:
For general work and rough drafts of assignments, I use pencil. Standard stationery: rubber, sharpener, compass, set square.
I use pens for anything that either I'll need to read in the future or someone else will need to read. Lecture notes, final drafts of assignments, any extra notes.
Hole punch and stapler for processing assignments and printed lecture notes.
I use either ring binders or lever arches for my written notes, assignments that I've got back and printed notes. Plastic folders for completed assignments, to keep them neat until I submit them.
Whether or not I write notes in the lectures depends on the module(whether or not they have printed lecture notes(if so how good they are), how hard the module is and how much there is to remember) There were two last term(geometry and physics foundations) that I think I really benefited from writing notes, but at the moment there aren't any that I think it would be useful for so I don't.
For the supervisions and other classes, no. We often have to solve problems so I tend to jot down ideas as I go, but not in a way that would really make sense to me in the future. I sometimes scribble down the name of a particular function etc. that comes up to research it further later.
For my free time: doing questions, reading notes, reading books, thinking, writing lists of the key ideas of a module, proving some of the statements.
I'm doing maths and physics.
Pen and paper.

That was tough.
Original post by shawtyb
im doing business management too but at a different uni. have you done the finance module yet

Hey, what uni do you go to? Is it nice there? Well we had a module with finance in it but we are doing an accounting one next year. What year are you in? I'm in my first.
Hey, what uni do you go to? Is it nice there? Well we had a module with finance in it but we are doing an accounting one next year. What year are you in? I'm in my first.

university of essex but i do mine online
my finance and accounting was joint
first year but about to head into 2nd
Original post by shawtyb
university of essex but i do mine online
my finance and accounting was joint
first year but about to head into 2nd

So do you study from home them and work online? I don't do it joint they are part of our course. What we did last semester was learning basics I think next year we are really going to dig into what we have learned and take it up.
So do you study from home them and work online? I don't do it joint they are part of our course. What we did last semester was learning basics I think next year we are really going to dig into what we have learned and take it up.

yup :smile:
yh mines not joint, its one module
yh this year was just the basics for us too
Original post by shawtyb
yup :smile:
yh mines not joint, its one module
yh this year was just the basics for us too

Yes, I found that too. I was really happy that my course did things I did back in 6th form. It was like a nice re cap after taking a break. In my class at Newman we also have people who have never done business before and wanted a change so for them that chance to do it from the basics is a learning opportunity which is great.
I think it really depends on the course tbh.

I study law and the only thing I use is my macbook. I take that to all my lectures and tutorials, and when I am not in class, I am notes with it or complete homework in the library.

My homework and lecture slides are all online so it really helps to have some tech device (whether that be an ipad, laptop etc), to be able to access relevant course materials.

I have friends who study maths, and most of their work is completed on paper so they carry in notebooks, pens, pencils, rulers, calculators etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending