The Student Room Group

What would you do with a spare £5800

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Serine Soul
Put the credit card away....

But personally, I'd just buy clothes and shoes etc.

Have a Primark-free wardrobe for once :emo:

Hi now there's nowt wrong with Penneys! Great stuff for great value - although that might be because of claims that 'Primark' in Ireland has a completely different selection of clothing of better quality - a lot of Irish people's main wardrobe is significantly stocked with Penney's/Primark :tongue:
I'd leave it be, since you don't actually have it.

If you insist on spending money that isn't yours, could you use this as a deposit to take out a big loan?
Original post by john2054
I have that on my credit cards. Or at least i will have a month from today. What should i spend it on? I'm thinking investments? Equity maybe??

Your maximum balance is only £5800?? How young are you/bad is your credit score? I actually got a warning last year because of the number of cards I had and my credit score I could take out £250,000 and disappear :s-smilie: Needless to say I cancelled a couple of cards so as not to look like Al Capone :tongue:
No, spend it on a blonde girl called Ellie and invest your money in her card
Reply 44
Derby university, ****ing joke
Original post by boruto
Derby university, ****ing joke

Lol. Most universities are a joke anyway and major scams that young people buy into for the "social life".
Original post by SirMilkSheikh
Lol. Most universities are a joke anyway and major scams that young people buy into for the "social life".

Or you know... that other thing... a degree?
Original post by will3482
Or you know... that other thing... a degree?

Most degrees are useless, and terrible investments, whether from 'good' or rubbish universities. There are a few degrees that are an exception.

If you solely want a degree, then you can study via the Open University which costs less. But then you'd be missing out on the 'social life' which most students seem to crave.
please will the tsr users stop calling me a troll, liar, or other abuse, thanks

oh grow up you idiot, your like 35 and you look and act like a 12 year old.
Most degrees are useless, and terrible investments, whether from 'good' or rubbish universities. There are a few degrees that are an exception.

If you solely want a degree, then you can study via the Open University which costs less. But then you'd be missing out on the 'social life' which most students seem to crave.

They have to keep the idiots happy.

Thought that may be true for those with low aims, if you are shooting for higher level stuff it's a must, and an environment in which the Open University degrees are not accepted. For example I am looking into going into Investment Banking. If you don't have an economics related degree from a russell group university it's a no go. A lot of big corporations will only accept people with at least a degree.
Original post by will3482
Thought that may be true for those with low aims, if you are shooting for higher level stuff it's a must, and an environment in which the Open University degrees are not accepted. For example I am looking into going into Investment Banking. If you don't have an economics related degree from a russell group university it's a no go. A lot of big corporations will only accept people with at least a degree.

Ok, fair enough. Being an investment banker is tough work, and certainly doesn't leave room for free time. If I was an investment banker, I would make money over a few years (and dread every part of it), and then get out asap and invest in business, real estate, stocks, and gold. But thats just me. Good luck.
Ok, fair enough. Being an investment banker is tough work, and certainly doesn't leave room for free time. If I was an investment banker, I would make money over a few years (and dread every part of it), and then get out asap and invest in business, real estate, stocks, and gold. But thats just me. Good luck.

Thanks, but want to make sure I don't just look like I am tooting my own horn. A lot of computing/development related jobs and sales management require a degree too.
Reply 53
Original post by DMcGovern
Your maximum balance is only £5800?? How young are you/bad is your credit score? I actually got a warning last year because of the number of cards I had and my credit score I could take out £250,000 and disappear :s-smilie: Needless to say I cancelled a couple of cards so as not to look like Al Capone :tongue:

My age is 35 and two years ago i had a zero credit score because i was in the court of protection, and deemed 'unworthy' of credit of any kind. So i think i have done quite well since then. How much do you earn? And what is your credit score??
Reply 54

I don't consider my degree useless, not at all. Even on purely self development terms, i have learnt a hell of a lot over these past five years i have been studying. Like how to read books, write essays, and win arguments. These are qualities, you can't just pick up by a week's online training!!
Why such a specific number, that makes me feel as if that is the only money you have available. I'd suggest spending 800 and banking 5k and waiting until your more knowledgeable self can use it.
(edited 8 years ago)
My age is 35 and two years ago i had a zero credit score because i was in the court of protection, and deemed 'unworthy' of credit of any kind. So i think i have done quite well since then. How much do you earn? And what is your credit score??

Around £50,000. And it's fairly high, because I'm quite paranoid about money, but in a good way.
I'm not going to tell you my credit score, but it's around 700.
Platinum Amex card my friend :biggrin:
Invest in real estate
I don't consider my degree useless, not at all. Even on purely self development terms, i have learnt a hell of a lot over these past five years i have been studying. Like how to read books, write essays, and win arguments. These are qualities, you can't just pick up by a week's online training!!

Good for you. I learnt to read books when I was 5.
Original post by TeeEm
did you have a bad HAIR day?

Couldnt resist hehee

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending