The Student Room Group

My Road to A* everywhere

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hambi123
I'm a GCSE student. I'm doing resits because I failed my GCSEs last year 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah right - the sociology must have thrown me, as my school don't offer it at GCSE. IIf you want any subject help, especially Sciences I'd love to help you :smile:

What exam boards do you do?
I would love to get help with science please 😌 I do Edexcel. Thankyou, I really appreciate your help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ddraigdwr2
Basically I have to leave for the Bus at half seven, but because the bus company doesn't factor in the traffic I'm always around twenty minutes late for school (which thankfully is still registration!). In total I spend about three hours travelling to and from school everyday, but I have to stand on the bus in the morning (nicely killing my knees) but I revise on the bus on the way home :smile: How long do you travel for?

Oh that must be awkward for you and your knees must really hurt! Good to hear you get some revision in on the bus. At the minute for high school I live within 5 minutes walking distance so it's quite handy (can't really revise and walk though - I've tried :biggrin:)

When I go to college then it depends on which one I choose. One of them would mean catching 2 or 3 buses as they haven't got a direct one anymore, so that could be an hour or two there and an hour or two back. The other one has a direct bus but it still takes about 45 minutes and there is only 1 so I will have to start preparing things to revise whilst travelling I think :smile:
I would love to get help with science please 😌 I do Edexcel. Thankyou, I really appreciate your help

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course - I do OCR Gateway B though, but I'm sure some topics will over lap, so when they do I will help you where I can. Are there any topics in particular you struggle with and what revision techniques are you using at the moment? :smile:
We can definitely work something out, I'm struggling with C1 topic 5 - Fuels and P1 topic 3,4 and 5. Right now I'm writing it all out and memorising it. I go through it everyday, when I'm on the bus, when I have a free period, when I'm on my break so it's non stop. How about you, What revision technique are you doing at the moment?

Posted from TSR Mobile
We can definitely work something out, I'm struggling with C1 topic 5 - Fuels and P1 topic 3,4 and 5. Right now I'm writing it all out and memorising it. I go through it everyday, when I'm on the bus, when I have a free period, when I'm on my break so it's non stop. How about you, What revision technique are you doing at the moment?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure we can. My modules/topics are split up differently and we have 18 modules in total across the 3 sciences. I too write notes 3 times - once in draft to familiarise myself with the info, a second time to neaten it up and add details, and a thrid time to type it up. I leave gaps between them so I memorise them better. I also make questions cards which I have links to if you want to check them out (I don't know how useful they will be considering the different topics).

Have you had a look at Bangor Uni as they have a set of booklets for GCSE science revision - just type it in Google and you should find them - I don't know how detailed they are for you :smile:

What grade are you hoping for may I ask?
may you read the beginning of my compare and contrast literature essay? I am feeling very anxious! aha
Original post by hannahrobinsxn
may you read the beginning of my compare and contrast literature essay? I am feeling very anxious! aha

Sure - that wouldn't be a problem - PM it to me :smile:
That is a good way to memorise something. I should try that as well; also I would love to see the links to the questions 😌 I use a CGP Edexcel revision guide, it's really useful. Also I'm aiming for an A* because my controlled assessment went really bad for me. I need to get a grade B overall so I can do A level science next year. If you don't mind saying, what grade are you aiming for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
That is a good way to memorise something. I should try that as well; also I would love to see the links to the questions 😌 I use a CGP Edexcel revision guide, it's really useful. Also I'm aiming for an A* because my controlled assessment went really bad for me. I need to get a grade B overall so I can do A level science next year. If you don't mind saying, what grade are you aiming for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Here are the links:
Biology: https://www.brainscape.com/packs/6874189/invitation?referrer=1904487
Chemistry: https://www.brainscape.com/packs/6874183/invitation?referrer=1904487
Physics: https://www.brainscape.com/packs/6874190/invitation?referrer=1904487

Some aren't quite finished yet - but I will get round to that :smile:

May I ask how bad did it go and what grades are you currently getting?

If you want top grades in the exams you need to know specific details and past papers are needed to help improve exam technique - it's definitely possible though :smile:

Personally, I'm aiming for A* in all my subjects but another personal target I have set myself is to get more than 90% on the science exams - so I too have some work to do.

What A-levels are you planning on doing? :smile:
Original post by brainzistheword
Of course, you could always make one on here although I prefer to set it out my own way so using Excel or Word is useful. You could also just get a planner/diary or use an online one and plan out revision that way - I use Google Calendar and plan the night before :smile:

If you need help with it let me know :smile:

Hey I've made one now :smile:
Original post by nisha.sri
Hey I've made one now :smile:

Great! Would you mind sharing? I'd love to see how other people make timetables :smile:
I'm not sure as I didn't get my grade but the exam board is really harsh. I think I got a grade D but my teacher didn't tell us yet. I didn't finish my controlled assessment but I had to give it In because of the deadline.

If I don't get my 2 Bs in science then I will be studying A level law, history and politics, but if I do I will be studying, chemistry, biology and psychology or physics

What are you hoping to study? And you can do it. Just keep on studying and stay motivated. Thankyou for the Links

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by brainzistheword
Great! Would you mind sharing? I'd love to see how other people make timetables :smile:

Sure :smile:
Look Below :smile:
I'm not sure as I didn't get my grade but the exam board is really harsh. I think I got a grade D but my teacher didn't tell us yet. I didn't finish my controlled assessment but I had to give it In because of the deadline.

If I don't get my 2 Bs in science then I will be studying A level law, history and politics, but if I do I will be studying, chemistry, biology and psychology or physics

What are you hoping to study? And you can do it. Just keep on studying and stay motivated. Thankyou for the Links

Posted from TSR Mobile

What board are you doing in Psychology :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I know what you mean about them being harsh as my Biology teacher gives us Edexcel past paper questions for homework and they are SOO specific compared to OCR! And it's a shame about your Controlled Assessment but you can pull your grade up still :smile:

They are very good A-levels, very varied and Sciences seem to make a huge difference to your choices - so let's work together and get you that B or better :biggrin:

I want to go on to college and study Maths, FM, Chemistry, Physics and Geology if I can :smile:
Original post by nisha.sri
Sure :smile:
Look Below :smile:

Wow! Nice! You've planned to do loads - just make sure you can stick to it this time :biggrin: and be prepared for disruptions and such like.

I haven't specifically timetabled any revision for the morning - I'll just see what I feel like doing - good luck with your revision and let me know how you manage to stick to it :smile: I could do with the advice :biggrin:
Hey well in college it's really different. I don't need science to get me into psychology. I need a grade B in maths and I can get in and do it as A levels or you can get a grade B in GCSE. I didn't get a choice to do it as GCSE so I want to do it as A level 😌

Posted from TSR Mobile
My controlled assessment pulls my grade down but as long as my exam is at a grade A then nothing can stop me from getting a grade A 😌 Thankyou. Good choices their. I would love to do maths but it's like so hard as A level and it's better getting 3 amazing As/Bs at A level instead of having 4 Cs. You can do it. Anything is possible if you believe in yourself. We can get that grade B or higher. We will work together 😌 revision buddies ✌🏽️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey well in college it's really different. I don't need science to get me into psychology. I need a grade B in maths and I can get in and do it as A levels or you can get a grade B in GCSE. I didn't get a choice to do it as GCSE so I want to do it as A level 😌

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah yes I see what you mean - it's good that there are lots of routes in to A-levels and not just through taking it at GCSE. Let's hope you get those Bs or better and get to do it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending