The Student Room Group

Do you think the monarchy will survive when the Queen dies?

The Queen is nearly 90 and will probably die in the next few years, When she dies do you think that the monarchy will survive another fifty years?

Scroll to see replies

Easily.
Probably. The BBC will have to try even harder with the glorification of the royals, but I don't think anyone could be arsed to actually try and get rid of them.
hopefully not :redface:

*runs away :run:*
Original post by draculaura
Probably. The BBC will have to try even harder with the glorification of the royals, but I don't think anyone could be arsed to actually try and get rid of them.

I think (not sure on the details) that they bring in too much tourism to get rid of them.
Yes, and I hope much longer than that too.
They are a net gain to this country
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mactotaur
I think (not sure on the details) that they bring in too much tourism to get rid of them.

the tourism is more linked to the palaces etc not the actual Royal family
I think so and I hope so. The traditionalist in me would be sad if we abolished the monarchy!
It would be easy to get rid of them just stop funding them and take the 'crown estates' off them so they would not be able to live
Original post by karl pilkington
the tourism is more linked to the palaces etc not the actual Royal family

What are the palaces without the monarchy, though? Old abandoned castles don't get nearly as much tourism.
Reply 10
They are useless bunch of people.
Original post by karl pilkington
The Queen is nearly 90 and will probably die in the next few years, When she dies do you think that the monarchy will survive another fifty years?

Well obviously, there are Heirs to the throne going down to the age of 8, James, Viscount Severn.. so will little James live to see the age of 58? Obviously
Why not? We have a **** load of other **** we spend a lot of money on. How much money is spent on symbolism in the UK? How much does the BBC cost?
Reply 13
I'm no royalist myself but I see no reason why it will not. The public seem alright with the monarchy and whether you like it or not there are a lot of monarchists in the United Kingdom.
Reply 14
Original post by rogersuniv
Why not? We have a **** load of other **** we spend a lot of money on. How much money is spent on symbolism in the UK? How much does the BBC cost?

We pay for the BBC :facepalm:
Reply 15
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
Well obviously, there are Heirs to the throne going down to the age of 8, James, Viscount Severn.. so will little James live to see the age of 58? Obviously

What has James, Viscount Severn or young royals got to do with the possible future longevity of the monarchy ? Did you actually understand OP's question?
Yes, even if there is not the same level of support as there is for the Queen.
Original post by IAmNero
We pay for the BBC :facepalm:

I don't get what you mean?

The monarchy can always continue to fund itself from the crown estate.
Original post by CoolCavy
hopefully not :redface:

*runs away :run:*

:spank:

:bricks:

:flute:
Reply 19
Original post by barnetlad
Yes, even if there is not the same level of support as there is for the Queen.

The Queen has a great amount of support even from people who are not monarchists her son though may be another story. I don't really have an issue with Prince Charles though, yes I know some people don't like him because they feel he meddles in politics and by law the royal family is not supposed to do this but only a naive person would think this is really how it is.

Quick Reply

Latest