The Student Room Group

retaking a levels while at uni

Hi i am new to this and i was wondering if anyone can help me,

Basically im in my first year at uni studying accounting with management at Westminster. I got BBC in my a levels which was very underachieveing to my targets of AAA so i got into uni as my insurance uni instead of first choice of bath.

So basically although ive started this uni and nearlt finished my first year im planning on deferring my entry for a year and redoing year 1 because of some issues ive had. So ill basically have a gap year and then restart the year.

So my problem basically is that i want to retake my a2 modules on my gap year to get my grades higher as an external candidate and re-apply on ucas to top unis for my course. So i want to know if theres some way i can reapply on ucas but at the same time keep my defereed entry place at westminster just incase i dont get into these unis as some dont accept retakes but i want to try my luck.
Hopefully someome can help, thanks in advance!
You really have the money for all this? I mean, you've already paid for an entire year that you're just gonna throw away?

And you need to check with the individual uni whether they accept retakes.
You need to ask your university if they will accept you as a deferred entry which they should do.

I'm assuming you're contemplating to sit your exams as a 2016 entry. If you feel ready for your A Level exams and have booked them then go for it. Though by the seems of it you aren't exactly ready? However, if you are talking about 2017 entry then I would recommend you to not take a gap year and resit. To be honest if you get a 1st in your degree at Westminster it would have the same value as a 1st from Bath.

At the end of the day this is your choice. Good luck! :h:
Reply 3
Original post by undercxver
You need to ask your university if they will accept you as a deferred entry which they should do.

I'm assuming you're contemplating to sit your exams as a 2016 entry. If you feel ready for your A Level exams and have booked them then go for it. Though by the seems of it you aren't exactly ready? However, if you are talking about 2017 entry then I would recommend you to not take a gap year and resit. To be honest if you get a 1st in your degree at Westminster it would have the same value as a 1st from Bath.

At the end of the day this is your choice. Good luck! :h:

A 1st from Westminster certainly is NOT the same as a 1st from Bath. But it might be equivalent to a 2.1 from Bath, especially if applying for further study (1sts look a lot better than 2.1s and further unis don't care THAT much where you got your undergrad from).
Original post by TVIO
A 1st from Westminster certainly is NOT the same as a 1st from Bath. But it might be equivalent to a 2.1 from Bath, especially if applying for further study (1sts look a lot better than 2.1s and further unis don't care THAT much where you got your undergrad from).

The only differences are where you're studying and the course content. At the end of the day, a 1st is a 1st, regardless of the institution. 2.1 is what most people get at degree level so you wont be penalised if you don't get a 1st. I'm pretty sure employers will be more concerned about the fact that you have a degree than where you got it from.
Reply 5
Original post by SarahhLouisee
The only differences are where you're studying and the course content. At the end of the day, a 1st is a 1st, regardless of the institution. 2.1 is what most people get at degree level so you wont be penalised if you don't get a 1st. I'm pretty sure employers will be more concerned about the fact that you have a degree than where you got it from.

I disagree, there are many benefits that attending certain universities can give you. Links with industry are a huge factor, and if you were to compare two equivalent courses at vastly differing unis then the average salaries will also greatly differ. The course content IS an important factor for this reason. Some further study opportunities do penalise you for not attaining a 1st (several courses at Cambridge expect a 1st), but it's pretty uncommon.
Original post by TVIO
I disagree, there are many benefits that attending certain universities can give you. Links with industry are a huge factor, and if you were to compare two equivalent courses at vastly differing unis then the average salaries will also greatly differ. The course content IS an important factor for this reason. Some further study opportunities do penalise you for not attaining a 1st (several courses at Cambridge expect a 1st), but it's pretty uncommon.

Yeah but you don't have to go to a Russel group university to have good opportunities in your course. Nottingham Trent, for example, is an ex poly but they have amazing links with industry. If you take advantage of all the opportunities that the uni presents to you and/or go and gain extra work experience or whatever, you will have a good experience and develop a strong CV, regardless of where you study. There are plenty of non-Russel group universities that provide strong course content. And yes I know but you don't have to apply to Cambridge to do a postgrad degree. A lot of courses ask for a 2:1, and I've even seen a fair few that ask for a 2:2.
Reply 7
Original post by SarahhLouisee
Yeah but you don't have to go to a Russel group university to have good opportunities in your course. Nottingham Trent, for example, is an ex poly but they have amazing links with industry. If you take advantage of all the opportunities that the uni presents to you and/or go and gain extra work experience or whatever, you will have a good experience and develop a strong CV, regardless of where you study. There are plenty of non-Russel group universities that provide strong course content. And yes I know but you don't have to apply to Cambridge to do a postgrad degree. A lot of courses ask for a 2:1, and I've even seen a fair few that ask for a 2:2.

There are loads of good universities and I didn't mean to offend anyone. But there IS a difference between universities and some are a little (or even a lot) better than others for various factors. It's a bit silly to suggest that every single university is considered equally by everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending