The Student Room Group

Why isn't street begging illegal?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blue_Mason
I mean people who beg should be fined and locked up for being a nuisance

it is illegal, they have to be 'street performers' or they get moved on by the police
Original post by Blondie987
Well clearly the welfare system isn't efficient if there are still many people out on the streets

Logic doesn't always work, unfortunately, dear :console: *takes you away from OP to a safe space* lol
It will stop others from begging

Yes, it will stop other stop beggars, because they'll most likely die of starvation.
Original post by Ekno
Most of them aint even homeless

Bruh come on
Original post by Blondie987
Well clearly the welfare system isn't efficient if there are still many people out on the streets

Darling there will be always be people sleeping on the streets as most of them choose that lifestyle, hence drugs and alcohol.
Give them a house and a job and I bet you that most of them cannot maintain it.
Reply 25
Ban beggars and setup small areas to give them food and water, money should not be used to fuel addiction.
Original post by Mr Oompa Loompa
Yes, it will stop other stop beggars, because they'll most likely die of starvation.

How can you starve?we have jobseekers for a reason.
I mean we have cheap supermarkets like aldi and tescos

Mate there's swindlers, sure, but there's swindlers with homes. Beggar shouldn't mean, homeless. It could mean someone who is desperate to make the last 10 bucks of a bill or debt or something before a deadline, or who has a place but needs the rent or food :s-smilie: be sympathetic bruh. Create that Good Karma for yourself.

They're not cheap if you're a beggar, fool.
Reply 30
Original post by mrsjenner
Mate there's swindlers, sure, but there's swindlers with homes. Beggar shouldn't mean, homeless. It could mean someone who is desperate to make the last 10 bucks of a bill or debt or something before a deadline, or who has a place but needs the rent or food :s-smilie: be sympathetic bruh. Create that Good Karma for yourself.

yeah my bad I meant to say not all beggers are genuine beggers. I mean i still give them lunch regardless, but some you can just tell they're being sneaky.
Because it will only add burden to the prison system

Because these people have nothing else
Original post by mrsjenner
They're not cheap if you're a beggar, fool.

Professional beggars can make a good amount of money, tax free money, and some do not even pay rent.

You cannot just stroll into the jobcentre and get given jsa and benefits. They are means tested, they can take up to 6 weeks to come through which is not helpful if you have no food or a landlord demanding rent. You have no idea how it works. I work with homeless people in a hostel, you have no clue of their circumstances. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.
Original post by a noble chance
Because it will only add burden to the prison system

Because these people have nothing else

You have a point, but a percentage can be deported
Reply 35
and you think Aldi and Tesco give jobs to anyone? It's a bit obvious you've never had to look for work- probably because your parents did it for you. There will ALWAYS be people who are homeless simply, because they choose that way. HOWEVER, many homeless people do try to move on in their lives but are unable to do so because of the lack of help available with all the cuts in welfare benefits and funding for support centres. Such people need support from the welfare system first but then need to be encouraged to look for work and full help and advice should be given. You're just ignorant and narrow minded who thinks the solution to such problems is simple.
You have a point, but a percentage can be deported

A small one. I know these people and it is not a large one

They are also all human beings
Original post by Alice__90
You cannot just stroll into the jobcentre and get given jsa and benefits. They are means tested, they can take up to 6 weeks to come through which is not helpful if you have no food or a landlord demanding rent. You have no idea how it works. I work with homeless people in a hostel, you have no clue of their circumstances. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

Do we not have drop in centres that can assist people?
Soup kitchens?
Its funny you say that as I am planing to volunteer and work with a homeless charity.
Again I have nothing against homeless people, only beggars

It's illegal to be homeless? I hope the punishment isn't a fine.
Reply 39
Original post by morgan8002
It's illegal to be homeless? I hope the punishment isn't a fine.

So it would seem

Quick Reply

Latest