The Student Room Group

Are these good subjects to take?

Hi everyone,
I am currently doing GCSE's and am unsure of what I should choose for A-level. At the college I am going to, you only choose 3 subjects. I am thinking of doing:

Drama and Theatre Studies
English Literature
And then I am unsure of what to choose out of French, Graphics and Psychology

Is there any advice you have of what would work best with my first 2 subjects and if the ones I have chosen are good?

Thank you!
Original post by pingu58011
Hi everyone,
I am currently doing GCSE's and am unsure of what I should choose for A-level. At the college I am going to, you only choose 3 subjects. I am thinking of doing:

Drama and Theatre Studies
English Literature
And then I am unsure of what to choose out of French, Graphics and Psychology

Is there any advice you have of what would work best with my first 2 subjects and if the ones I have chosen are good?

Thank you!

This is solely my opinion - I think that whatever subjects you pick do not matter that much to be honest. Some universities may require specific subjects for a specific degree that you want to study but I don't think that you should base your decision on that. You should pick subjects that you enjoy doing - the more you enjoy doing something, the more you'll do it therefore, you'll be more likely to come out with good grades!

Honestly pick subjects that you enjoy doing, don't pick it because you did well at it at GCSE or because you found it easy at GCSE because for all you know, you might not enjoy it at A Level and it may be a lot more difficult than you made out.

I'm in AS by the way, currently studying art, maths, history and product design!
You do not need to listen to my advice at all, these are just suggestions!!
I do drama and enjoy it very much. I got an A at AS exam board Edexcel- feel free to ask any questions :smile:
Reply 3
Drop drama, that's useless and add a science.
Reply 4
Original post by TSRMatt
This is solely my opinion - I think that whatever subjects you pick do not matter that much to be honest. Some universities may require specific subjects for a specific degree that you want to study but I don't think that you should base your decision on that. You should pick subjects that you enjoy doing - the more you enjoy doing something, the more you'll do it therefore, you'll be more likely to come out with good grades!

Honestly pick subjects that you enjoy doing, don't pick it because you did well at it at GCSE or because you found it easy at GCSE because for all you know, you might not enjoy it at A Level and it may be a lot more difficult than you made out.

I'm in AS by the way, currently studying art, maths, history and product design!
You do not need to listen to my advice at all, these are just suggestions!!

Thank you! I do enjoy all of the subjects that I am thinking of choosing (Although I don't currently study psychology)

I am worried about this third option as although I love graphics at GCSE, I do find it very stressful and don't know if I would be able to cope at A-level. I have an A on my coursework though. Then for French, I am unsure if I would be good enough for A-level. My coursework is a very high B and then in practise papers I have just done I got As.

Any advice on that?
Reply 5
Original post by dauntlesstraitor
I do drama and enjoy it very much. I got an A at AS exam board Edexcel- feel free to ask any questions :smile:

Drama is the career I want to go into so I am glad you have said that. I am really annoyed atm as my coursework is 2 off an A* which is extremely annoying!!! But thank you!!!!
Original post by HipThrust
Drop drama, that's useless and add a science.

Not if you're doing it at university, bye bye 😘
Drama is the career I want to go into so I am glad you have said that. I am really annoyed atm as my coursework is 2 off an A* which is extremely annoying!!! But thank you!!!!

Me too, I've just firmed my place at Manchester to do Drama! GCSE drama was great but in my opinion A Level is much more fun. I've only found it slightly harder this year
Reply 8
Don't do Psychology... I do and I hate it with a passion but my tutor won't let me drop it until I've done my AS exams!!! French would go well with the drama
Reply 9
Original post by dauntlesstraitor
Me too, I've just firmed my place at Manchester to do Drama! GCSE drama was great but in my opinion A Level is much more fun. I've only found it slightly harder this year

Well done on your placement! I am really excited for A-level drama as I think it will be much better!!!
Reply 10
Original post by AfcFob
Don't do Psychology... I do and I hate it with a passion but my tutor won't let me drop it until I've done my AS exams!!! French would go well with the drama

I was put off psychology due to how many topics there would be to learn and because there is some science involved which I despise!!! What grade would you say you would need in order to be good at French at A-level?
Well done on your placement! I am really excited for A-level drama as I think it will be much better!!!

Thank you! Good luck I'm sure you'll enjoy it :smile:
Reply 12
Anyone know if a B at GCSE French would mean that I would be good enough for A-Level?
Reply 13
I was put off psychology due to how many topics there would be to learn and because there is some science involved which I despise!!! What grade would you say you would need in order to be good at French at A-level?

A B or above but it really depends I know people with A*s in language who struggle with the A level but I also know people with Bs who excel at the language
Thank you! I do enjoy all of the subjects that I am thinking of choosing (Although I don't currently study psychology)

I am worried about this third option as although I love graphics at GCSE, I do find it very stressful and don't know if I would be able to cope at A-level. I have an A on my coursework though. Then for French, I am unsure if I would be good enough for A-level. My coursework is a very high B and then in practise papers I have just done I got As.

Any advice on that?

For graphics, you'll probably find it even more stressful at AS - for French, I'm sure that if you try your best, you can do it! A Levels is about how much work you put into it, I suppose with graphics, if you scheduled your time correctly and get the work done, you won't be stressed!

At the end of the day, it's entirely your decision - pick what you think you should pick!

Matt

Quick Reply

Latest