The Student Room Group

Do age gaps matter ?

My family are kicking up a stink about my partner stating that because we are at different stages in life we can't be together. I'm 24 he's 28 hardly a big gap. He has been working since 17 whereas I am still studying.
They claim he has a well paid job his own house that me going to uni was a waste if all in going to do is marry him and get pregnant.
I feel so annoyed firstly I've got s training contract lined up I've been studying for 4 years so that I can get the job I want. Secondly I've worked part time since I was 16 I pay for everything myself I ask nothing of my parents. I have gone through so much in my life with illness family etx it makes me so upset to think they view me as to immature to be with anybody.
I don't know why they have this view I think it's absurd fair enough if I was living of mummy and daddy and prancing around with not a care in the world. But I work very hard and I've got a career set up surely now at 24 what I do and who I am with is my choice ? I thought most parents would be pleased their daughter is with a man who has a very well paid job his own house and love and cares for her yet for some reason they use this against me ?
Original post by Anonymous
My family are kicking up a stink about my partner stating that because we are at different stages in life we can't be together. I'm 24 he's 28 hardly a big gap. He has been working since 17 whereas I am still studying.
They claim he has a well paid job his own house that me going to uni was a waste if all in going to do is marry him and get pregnant.
I feel so annoyed firstly I've got s training contract lined up I've been studying for 4 years so that I can get the job I want. Secondly I've worked part time since I was 16 I pay for everything myself I ask nothing of my parents. I have gone through so much in my life with illness family etx it makes me so upset to think they view me as to immature to be with anybody.
I don't know why they have this view I think it's absurd fair enough if I was living of mummy and daddy and prancing around with not a care in the world. But I work very hard and I've got a career set up surely now at 24 what I do and who I am with is my choice ? I thought most parents would be pleased their daughter is with a man who has a very well paid job his own house and love and cares for her yet for some reason they use this against me ?

Your parents are being ridiculous, do your best to ignore them if you can.
I think they matter when you're under 18 and you always have to be wary when it comes to older people 'taking advantage' of the naivety of young people or the relationship not working because of the different stages in life but you're an adult at 18 and you have to make your own choices regarding these things.
Original post by Anonymous

I guess your parents are the snob like people who think that if you don't go to university you're a tick. I have this kind of parents. They don't want to have a relative who doesn't have a degree because they're snobs. How long have you been with him? You should have pulled out of university or at least threaten to do so to your parents.
Honestly dont listen to them! Ur both doing very well and if ur both happy then I dont see any problems with the relationship :smile: if u were like 13 and dating a 17 year old then i'd be concerned but thats not the case. Just carry on with ur lives together :smile: good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending