The Student Room Group

Music with revision?

I often find that revising with music blocks out any background sound and helps me concentrate better. However, I'm starting to doubt this method as I'm not getting the grades nor am I on target to get the grades I want.

So do you revise with music or not?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by STBB
I often find that revising with music blocks out any background sound and helps me concentrate better. However, I'm starting to doubt this method as I'm not getting the grades nor am I on target to get the grades I want.

I always do, but only japanese music no english music, english music gets me off track whereas japanese keeps me working hard and ive moved from U's to A's now and a B in biology which is okay for me :smile: If it motivates you, you should use it if not then i dont see the point in you using it...
I'm sure others use it as well but i assume they use calm subtle music like instrumental music :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by STBB

No, I've tried to revise with music. It just slows you down, Lower the volume if you you want, and listen to those songs which will not get your attention such as those with another language
Original post by STBB

I tend to revise with music also b/c of concentration :biggrin:. However, I only really listen to classical or piano music (e.g. Beethoven and Mozart) on spotify the only problem with that is I have to be working otherwise I will fall asleep lol.
I don't see how listening to music can affect your grade that much b/c it helps you concentrate, but might not work if you are dancing along with the music which may be a distraction - i sometimes listen to the radio which helps because i work when they speak and take a small break when there is a song on.
Reply 5
Original post by RoadtoSuccess
I always do, but only japanese music no english music, english music gets me off track whereas japanese keeps me working hard and ive moved from U's to A's now and a B in biology which is okay for me :smile: If it motivates you, you should use it if not then i dont see the point in you using it...
I'm sure others use it as well but i assume they use calm subtle music like instrumental music :biggrin:

I listen to house music etc. and most of it doesn't have vocals which seems to help. I've read before that music with lyrics can tempt you to sing along but it doesn block out background noice that could distract me.

Original post by rosh2004
No, I've tried to revise with music. It just slows you down, Lower the volume if you you want, and listen to those songs which will not get your attention such as those with another language

I do have it quite loud to be honest and I might give another language a go.

Original post by bizzy_penguin
I tend to revise with music also b/c of concentration :biggrin:. However, I only really listen to classical or piano music (e.g. Beethoven and Mozart) on spotify the only problem with that is I have to be working otherwise I will fall asleep lol.
I don't see how listening to music can affect your grade that much b/c it helps you concentrate, but might not work if you are dancing along with the music which may be a distraction - i sometimes listen to the radio which helps because i work when they speak and take a small break when there is a song on.

I once tried classical music and it didn't really work as I was thinking about much I didn't like it.
Original post by STBB

When I was at school, I revised with epic Harry GW soundtracks.
Reply 7
Original post by XMaramena
When I was at school, I revised with epic Harry GW soundtracks.

I don't know what that is but did it help?
Reply 8
Original post by STBB

I'm a straight A* student and I've never done a day of revision without music and/or a tv show in the background that I know so well it won't distract me. In terms of music, music with foreign language lyrics is good, as is classical music and instrumental soundtracks. Current favourite is an album called "Determination" which is instrumental metal covers of a soundtrack from a game called Undertale. Other favourites would be the zaknyou no terror soundtrack and the Ori and the blind forest soundtrack. Gaming soundtracks are perfect, as are movie/tv soundtracks.

That being said - music does not work for everyone. I'm a very read/write and visual learner so it doesn't distract my learning, but I imagine it would distract an auditory/kinesthetic learner. If it isn't working for you, then don't listen to music :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by rhensis
I'm a straight A* student and I've never done a day of revision without music and/or a tv show in the background that I know so well it won't distract me. In terms of music, music with foreign language lyrics is good, as is classical music and instrumental soundtracks. Current favourite is an album called "Determination" which is instrumental metal covers of a soundtrack from a game called Undertale. Other favourites would be the zaknyou no terror soundtrack and the Ori and the blind forest soundtrack. Gaming soundtracks are perfect, as are movie/tv soundtracks.

That being said - music does not work for everyone. I'm a very read/write and visual learner so it doesn't distract my learning, but I imagine it would distract an auditory/kinesthetic learner. If it isn't working for you, then don't listen to music :smile:

I would never have thought to listen to soundtracks or classical music. I've always just put my iPod on shuffle and 9 times out of 10 I get the work done without distraction :smile:
Original post by STBB
I don't know what that is but did it help?

He is a brilliant film composer, who's probably written the music to half your life.

His projects include tons of stuff from Chicken Run, Shrek and Spy Kids, to The Martian, The Town and Bridget Jones.

Personally, my two favourites are Chicken Run and Narnia. Actually, the narnia soundtrack got me through my dissertation at uni.
Reply 11
Original post by XMaramena
He is a brilliant film composer, who's probably written the music to half your life.

His projects include tons of stuff from Chicken Run, Shrek and Spy Kids, to The Martian, The Town and Bridget Jones.

Personally, my two favourites are Chicken Run and Narnia. Actually, the narnia soundtrack got me through my dissertation at uni.

oh right!!! I do know his work then. I just think soundtracks would get me in a different mood to revising but ill give it a try. Thanks! :smile:
Revision is undoubtedly better without music.

Sometimes though, when I find it really difficult to get started, music wil put me in the mood, and make me want to go for longer.

So with music, the quality of revision may be slightly lesser, but you may find you get more done.
I only use music if I'm revising for German - because I listen to German music which helps me with listening skills.

If I listen to English music when doing revision for other subjects it just distracts me majorly, but it could be down to genre. I imagine classical music would be less distracting and more soothing than pop.
going to play classical music atleast half an hour before revision to get in the mood as listening to grime is really addictive...

Quick Reply

Latest