The Student Room Group

Applying to Study Law 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aquaxo
True - and I regard Durham and Bristol to be in the same bracket! :-) Employers may split up said 'brackets' into sub groups to distinguish between unis. It is extremely unlikely that unis will retain their relative positions for years to come, obviously.

Of course, experience > degree for a lot of people - but that doesn't take away from the fact that your degree matters a lot.

Anyway, onto a more interesting topic - have you applied for 2016 entry? :-)

Apart from perhaps IB, employers will not make further "sub-groups". An employer will never say "Oh, let's pick him because he went to Nottingham while the other one went to Durham". Never.

It does before getting a training contract (or equivalent). Its importance fades drastically thereafter.

Nope, I'm a first year student. Where are you heading if I may ask?
Original post by *Stefan*
Apart from perhaps IB, employers will not make further "sub-groups". An employer will never say "Oh, let's pick him because he went to Nottingham while the other one went to Durham". Never.

It does before getting a training contract (or equivalent). Its importance fades drastically thereafter.

You sure do make a lot of definitive statements!

If I get the grades I should be going to Oxford. Where are you currently at? :-)

I'd argue that it's the same for front office IB: after you're in the gig, the prestige of your institution takes a back seat and your results and ability to win deals/make money/do good work are more important.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
I'd argue that it's the same for front office IB: after you're in the gig, the prestige of your institution takes a back seat and your results and ability to win deals/make money/do good work are more important.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Absolutely. Not obsessing over prestige was the point of my original post :wink:
Original post by Aquaxo
You sure do make a lot of definitive statements!

If I get the grades I should be going to Oxford. Where are you currently at? :-)

That's because I've asked graduate recruitment members directly - I've even done a practice recruitment task at Shearman and Sterling - we were given three actual applications, one from LSE, one from Bristol and one from Oxford. They literally didn't even refer to the university. The first one was rejected because his answers were "one-liners" (and he didn't get AAB), the second because he got 47 in two modules and was out of topic in one answer, and the third was invited to interview because his answers and grades were truly good. If the answers were swapped between Oxford and LSE (and assuming the latter had gotten AAB), the university name would not make any difference, despite it having a better reputation. University name is just one phrase in a very long application form.

Obviously this doesn't mean that no employer EVER makes sub-categories - it's just that most will not.

I'm at Bristol, and best of luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was referring to the application stage, but I definitely agree on that.
That's because I've asked graduate recruitment members directly - I've even done a practice recruitment task at Shearman and Sterling - we were given three actual applications, one from LSE, one from Bristol and one from Oxford. They literally didn't even refer to the university. The first one was rejected because his answers were "one-liners" (and he didn't get AAB), the second because he got 47 in two modules and was out of topic in one answer, and the third was invited to interview because his answers and grades were truly good. If the answers were swapped between Oxford and LSE (and assuming the latter had gotten AAB), the university name would not make any difference, despite it having a better reputation. University name is just one phrase in a very long application form.

Obviously this doesn't mean that no employer EVER makes sub-categories - it's just that most will not.

I'm at Bristol, and best of luck :smile:

I am pretty sure we are in agreement in this? (although 3 is not a very large sample size :wink:)

OP: Durham or Bristol, whatever - just make sure you make the most of wherever you go.

And to you :smile:
Original post by Aquaxo
I am pretty sure we are in agreement in this? (although 3 is not a very large sample size :wink:)

OP: Durham or Bristol, whatever - just make sure you make the most of wherever you go.

And to you :smile:

Was only backing up my "definitive point" :P

It isn't large, but it is representative :wink:

And let me conclude this by agreeing with you :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Was only backing up me "definitive point" :P

It isn't large, but it is representative :wink:

And let me conclude this by agreeing with you :smile:

Well, with your argumentative streak and articulation I'm sure you'll go far :wink:
Original post by Aquaxo
Well, with your argumentative streak and articulation I'm sure you'll go far :wink:

Hope you're not mocking the "me" :colone:
Hope you're not mocking the "me" :colone:

I actually wasn't - it is 3am after all :u:
Original post by Aquaxo
I actually wasn't - it is 3am after all :u:

Good :colonhash:
Anyone got opinions on Nottingham v Warwick?
The only thing I have to go on now are that Nottingham are 41st for Law in QS World Rankings and are generally better for law, but Warwick is a generally better uni and are only 10 places behind...
I have the same offer AAA offer for both.
Original post by Aquaxo
It doesn't have to be that way at all! Choose the university you prefer and have a think about the course content, the employment prospects but most importantly how you feel at each uni. Hopefully you will have an epiphany soon! :-) x

Personally I would go for Durham but I really don't think there is much in it. Have you thought about making a spreadsheet to compare the pros and cons of each? (Spreadsheets solve all of life's problems)

Remember that by the time you come to apply for training contracts/pupilage (if you go down that road) the relative reputations of unis is likely to have changed somewhat, so go for the one that excites you the most and it will all fall into place. Good luck :-) x

Thank you. What would your reasons be for choosing Durham over Bristol.

Good luck to you as well :smile:
Original post by liviward36
Anyone got opinions on Nottingham v Warwick?
The only thing I have to go on now are that Nottingham are 41st for Law in QS World Rankings and are generally better for law, but Warwick is a generally better uni and are only 10 places behind...
I have the same offer AAA offer for both.

They're in the same bracket (prestige wise and career prospects wise) - rankings are basically meaningless to make a final decision.

Which set of modules do you prefer? Environment? Campus differences? Study Abroad? Societies available? Location differences?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aayushk
Thank you. What would your reasons be for choosing Durham over Bristol.

Good luck to you as well :smile:

No problem, I replied to your private message but will copy and paste the link I sent to you for everyone else on the thread to see :-)

This is a really useful report on which universities secure places within law firms. Obviously it's only statistics and shouldn't be used in isolation to make any decisions, but it's pretty cool nonetheless.

http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities
Original post by Aquaxo
No problem, I replied to your private message but will copy and paste the link I sent to you for everyone else on the thread to see :-)

This is a really useful report on which universities secure places within law firms. Obviously it's only statistics and shouldn't be used in isolation to make any decisions, but it's pretty cool nonetheless.

http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities

Thank you! I'll make sure to look at it. :smile:
They're in the same bracket (prestige wise and career prospects wise) - rankings are basically meaningless to make a final decision.

Which set of modules do you prefer? Environment? Campus differences? Study Abroad? Societies available? Location differences?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahhh i need someone to make the decision for me! :laugh:

havent even bothered to look at modules cause there's only so much variation in law degrees. Everything else is more or less equal!
I need hellpp... City University London or Queen Mary?
Reply 1379
Original post by liviward36
ahhh i need someone to make the decision for me! :laugh:

havent even bothered to look at modules cause there's only so much variation in law degrees. Everything else is more or less equal!

Thats exactly what i thought before going to uni but checked anyway and my two choices had completely different option modules. I really would recommend having a look at the course itself if you're struggling to decide!

(sorry to butt in)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending