The Student Room Group

Why do people with darker skin never dye their hair?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MaskedOne00
Simply because it's funny

I am all out of disses

Original post by Dinasaurus
Why?

That's what I ask you. Why? Nobody knows.
Original post by jenigma
I am all out of disses

That's what I ask you. Why? Nobody knows.

Well that's swell isn't it .-.
Well that's swell isn't it .-.

:cry:
i have dark skin ( medium brown) and the lightest i would go would be light brown but i usually dye the ends of my hair dark brown coz it suits me lol but yeah it's down to personal preference
Original post by Retired_Messiah
I'm trying to find a way of saying "black skin doesn't really compliment bright coloured hair very well" that doesn't sound a bit iffy/edgy to me but I can't bloody do it so here

I think the opposite is true. The multi-coloured hair thing going on right now is trashy and never looks good anyway.
Cuz it'd look tacky
Original post by jenigma

Lmao. Sorry. It was still funny though.
Original post by jenigma

:P
:P

kk crying now bye
Original post by jenigma
kk crying now bye

kk bye
Dark hair is made up of a melanin pigment called pheomelanin - basically meaning that those with dark brown hair have underlying tones of red in their hair. So when an Asian or black girl gets their hair bleached, you usually see that they end up with ginger hair. You see a lot of brown girls with the ends of their hair coloured ginger and it's not on purpose - they're usually trying to go blonde, but it doesn't work. Lightening dark hair is very tricky unless you're experienced or a professional because the hair ends up brassy. These warm tones mean that hair colours like bright pink or blue won't be possible until the hair is toned to a cooler shade first (to counter-act the red undertones and neutralise the colour). White girls usually don't have this problem because blonde hair contains very little melanin.

For a guy you ask a lot of questions about hair. :curious:
Reply 91
Personal preference?
I'm Bengali and love to colour my hair. Personally, I hate black hair on me (it's dull) and always colour my hair lighter. I've been brown, ginger, red, dip dye - blonde, pink, purple, blue and teal.

Many asian girls aren't allowed to colour their hair due to their parents. Thankfully, I've never had that problem but this could be the reason as to why many aren't interested in colouring their hair when they're older.

Also, lightening black hair is a killer. Bleaching black hair is incredibly damaging since it'll most likely take at least two bleaching session so that may be the reason as why you don't see vivid hair colours.

However, I have seen more and more people colouring their hair vivid colour.
Original post by Petulia
Dark hair is made up of a melanin pigment called pheomelanin - basically meaning that those with dark brown hair have underlying tones of red in their hair. So when an Asian or black girl gets their hair bleached, you usually see that they end up with ginger hair. You see a lot of brown girls with the ends of their hair coloured ginger and it's not on purpose - they're usually trying to go blonde, but it doesn't work. Lightening dark hair is very tricky unless you're experienced or a professional because the hair ends up brassy. These warm tones mean that hair colours like bright pink or blue won't be possible until the hair is toned to a cooler shade first (to counter-act the red undertones and neutralise the colour). White girls usually don't have this problem because blonde hair contains very little melanin.

For a guy you ask a lot of questions about hair. :curious:

I like hair, I spend quite a bit getting it cut, I buy specific products from other countries, I like to condition and stuff. I don't believe gender should affect ones interests.
Original post by FahzB
Personal preference?
I'm Bengali and love to colour my hair. Personally, I hate black hair on me (it's dull) and always colour my hair lighter. I've been brown, ginger, red, dip dye - blonde, pink, purple, blue and teal.

Many asian girls aren't allowed to colour their hair due to their parents. Thankfully, I've never had that problem but this could be the reason as to why many aren't interested in colouring their hair when they're older.

Also, lightening black hair is a killer. Bleaching black hair is incredibly damaging since it'll most likely take at least two bleaching session so that may be the reason as why you don't see vivid hair colours.

However, I have seen more and more people colouring their hair vivid colour.

Sounds pretty cool tbh actually, I'd hate to damage my hair and I don't care about it enough to actually dye but yh those girls sound pretty sick.
I like hair, I spend quite a bit getting it cut, I buy specific products from other countries, I like to condition and stuff. I don't believe gender should affect ones interests.

There aren't many guys who are interested in hair. A better place to discuss these things would be a forum like forums.longhaircommunity.com (you need to be 18 to sign up though). You get much more serious responses to your questions on a forum like that and there are a few guys on it. It's usually the first place I refer to when I have a hair problem.
Original post by Petulia
There aren't many guys who are interested in hair. A better place to discuss these things would be a forum like forums.longhaircommunity.com (you need to be 18 to sign up though). You get much more serious responses to your questions on a forum like that and there are a few guys on it. It's usually the first place I refer to when I have a hair problem.

Oh I don't actually have long hair so maybe this isn't for me, it's not like a big thing, just an interest I have. Like I like to watch hair styling videos or make up videos (I am straight!) on youtube sometimes even though I have absolutely no intention of doing it myself.
It's definitely a mix of personal preference and also hair quality. As an Asian, I've dyed my hair blonde, brown, red over the years and my hair has deteriorated with time. I think it's quite unfair to say that we never do it, because I know a lot of Asian people that do choose to dye their hair - perhaps not neon or crazy colours but I rarely see any Caucasian people who have brightly coloured hair, only a few people do. Also, in the Asian community, colours like blonde and red are seen as "crazy" because they aren't natural to our skin tone, heritage or genes. In general, Indian people very rarely have blonde or red hair where in comparison there is a higher likelihood that Caucasians will have different variety of hair colours that may look "natural" and therefore it's not very obvious.
Original post by kitkatsal
It's definitely a mix of personal preference and also hair quality. As an Asian, I've dyed my hair blonde, brown, red over the years and my hair has deteriorated with time. I think it's quite unfair to say that we never do it, because I know a lot of Asian people that do choose to dye their hair - perhaps not neon or crazy colours but I rarely see any Caucasian people who have brightly coloured hair, only a few people do. Also, in the Asian community, colours like blonde and red are seen as "crazy" because they aren't natural to our skin tone, heritage or genes. In general, Indian people very rarely have blonde or red hair where in comparison there is a higher likelihood that Caucasians will have different variety of hair colours that may look "natural" and therefore it's not very obvious.

I mean in the sense, if you youtubed Korean hair, you'll see guys with like bright blue quiffs and stuff. But if you typed Indian hair or Asian hair, it wouldn't be the same.
I mean in the sense, if you youtubed Korean hair, you'll see guys with like bright blue quiffs and stuff. But if you typed Indian hair or Asian hair, it wouldn't be the same.

Ahhh I see. I also think that has to do with fashion trends, in Korea (I'm a huge K-Pop fan) I feel the trend is very bright coloured hair - Hyuna, BTS, Girls Generation - all follow it so naturally it can be assumed the public will follow this trend, whereas in South Asian countries the hair colour is a much more toned down. In India and Pakistan for example, it's more of a natural brown or golden hair that is popular and in most of our media outlets.
Why?

I've honestly never seen it, it was mainly the white kids at school with crazy hair colours. There was one Pakistani girl who dyed her hair like 20 different colours but that was it.

Opposite over here. Do you want to dye your hair? You should go for it.

Quick Reply

Latest