The Student Room Group

Self teaching A-Level Physics in one year.

Hi.

I'm predicted an A* in Maths, an A* in Further Maths and an A in History and I've decided last minute that I don't want to do accounting in university but mechanical engineering instead.

So I've decided that I will be taking a gap year and doing Physics A-Level since it's a requirement for Mechanical Engineering at top universities like Bristol and Imperial.

A few questions:

-Does the new spec have any effect on me? Would there be new books I need to get or will the old books suffice? Any advice I can get to get an A*/A in Physics by self studying?

-As far as I know, in the old spec there were 2 practicals you would need to do. How about now? Where will I be able to do the practicals and how much do they cost?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by sjaan
Hi.

I'm predicted an A* in Maths, an A* in Further Maths and an A in History and I've decided last minute that I don't want to do accounting in university but mechanical engineering instead.

So I've decided that I will be taking a gap year and doing Physics A-Level since it's a requirement for Mechanical Engineering at top universities like Bristol and Imperial.

A few questions:

-Does the new spec have any effect on me? Would there be new books I need to get or will the old books suffice? Any advice I can get to get an A*/A in Physics by self studying?

-As far as I know, in the old spec there were 2 practicals you would need to do. How about now? Where will I be able to do the practicals and how much do they cost?

Thanks!

The spec has changed completely and the layout of A-levels has as well. I dont really know exactly what has changed, you could go back to your 6th form/college and inquire about it.
Reply 2
Original post by Saeed9714
The spec has changed completely and the layout of A-levels has as well. I dont really know exactly what has changed, you could go back to your 6th form/college and inquire about it.

So that pretty much means that I can't study it in a year right?
Reply 3
Original post by sjaan
So that pretty much means that I can't study it in a year right?

I honestly have no idea, i did both AS and A2 in one year and got an A in the end after i flopped my AS year and got an E, but with the new A level layout im not sure as i dont know how it works.
Reply 4
Original post by Saeed9714
I honestly have no idea, i did both AS and A2 in one year and got an A in the end after i flopped my AS year and got an E, but with the new A level layout im not sure as i dont know how it works.

I've decided to send an email to AQA regarding the changes and if it is possible to still externally do A-Level Physics and the differences between the new and old spec.

Do you think that somebody who is really good at Maths will face problems self teaching A-Level Physics? How do you advice me to go about learning the content and getting the best possible grade?

Thanks!
Reply 5
Original post by sjaan
I've decided to send an email to AQA regarding the changes and if it is possible to still externally do A-Level Physics and the differences between the new and old spec.

Do you think that somebody who is really good at Maths will face problems self teaching A-Level Physics? How do you advice me to go about learning the content and getting the best possible grade?

Thanks!

Go through all the material. I would have said do all the past papers but there are none since the new layout has only started this year. So make sure you know all the things required and go to college if you can and do it there as you'd at least receive some help

Quick Reply

Latest