The Student Room Group

A Few questions...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by VNN
Thanks!
'skills that are useful for medicine'? from an instruments,such as?
also,would volunteering at the British heart foundation out as it is a medical charity?
Thanks.

Well, you tell me! I'm not the one writing the personal statement!

Would your volunteering at BHF be in some kind of caring capacity, or otherwise help you gain an insight into a career in medicine or a skill useful for medicine? If so, then do it, but don't just pick it because "it's a medical charity."

I think you need to calm down and think things through a bit more carefully, rather than taking a scattergun approach.
Original post by VNN
Thanks for the info.!
would doing volunteering at The British Heart Foundation be useful along with WE and other?(As its medical related charity)...
Also,what exactly classify as a teaching hospital?,Do you know any in Lincolnshire?
thanks.Btw,how long do you think your st.George WE will last?,Do they give you a set time or?

Yh, genuinely, doing any volunteering with people will be fine, as long as you can show that you can communicate etc etc. And oops, my wording was a bit poor, I did that placement nearly 2 years ago now in preparation for my application :P It lasted 1 week, as did all my placements, although no one really checked up on me and no one asked for my badge back when I finished so I probably could have stayed longer (except i was missing school so I didn't!). As for teaching hospitals, they're ones linked to universities, I don't know which medical schools are in lincolnshire, but teaching hospitals will state clearly that they're teaching hospitals and I think they're often part of the university NHS trust. So they'll usually be called things like "University hospital ........." for example. They're basically just huge hospitals in cities, as opposed to local district generals.
Original post by Helenia

Would your volunteering at BHF be in some kind of caring capacity, or otherwise help you gain an insight into a career in medicine or a skill useful for medicine? If so, then do it, but don't just pick it because "it's a medical charity."

I think you need to calm down and think things through a bit more carefully, rather than taking a scattergun approach.

Oh ok...
Thanks a lot for all the help...
I'm I worry to much?
Original post by AortaStudyMore
Yh, genuinely, doing any volunteering with people will be fine, as long as you can show that you can communicate etc etc. And oops, my wording was a bit poor, I did that placement nearly 2 years ago now in preparation for my application :P It lasted 1 week, as did all my placements, although no one really checked up on me and no one asked for my badge back when I finished so I probably could have stayed longer (except i was missing school so I didn't!). As for teaching hospitals, they're ones linked to universities, I don't know which medical schools are in lincolnshire, but teaching hospitals will state clearly that they're teaching hospitals and I think they're often part of the university NHS trust. So they'll usually be called things like "University hospital ........." for example. They're basically just huge hospitals in cities, as opposed to local district generals.

Ah ok,Thanks!
I think I know one then...
Would you have any recommendation like blogging on medicine or do medical holiday course that will significantly help?
Thanks.
Original post by VNN
Ah ok,Thanks!
I think I know one then...
Would you have any recommendation like blogging on medicine or do medical holiday course that will significantly help?
Thanks.

You're overthinking this way too much! Like I said before, you really don't need much. Just get some volunteering under your belt and organise some long term volunteering. Then do some sort of extra curricular activity, music is good, sport is probably even better. Also, if you're applying to cambridge, then maybe do some "supercurricular" stuff, like reading journals, running a science club at school etc.
You'll be fine, anyone giving it this much thought this early on will definitely get in haha
You're overthinking this way too much! Like I said before, you really don't need much. Just get some volunteering under your belt and organise some long term volunteering. Then do some sort of extra curricular activity, music is good, sport is probably even better. Also, if you're applying to cambridge, then maybe do some "supercurricular" stuff, like reading journals, running a science club at school etc.
You'll be fine, anyone giving it this much thought this early on will definitely get in haha

Haha,reading journals???
Other super curricular include,what are super curriculars?
Thanks.
Original post by Helenia

You previously system I had a decent plan,any suggestion to improve it?
Original post by VNN
Oh ok...
Thanks a lot for all the help...
I'm I worry to much?

This thread makes you sound a bit breathless and like you're trying to do absolutely everything all at once. There's no need to stress, you've got plenty of time and you've been told the things you need to do. Right now, your priority should be getting the best GCSE grades you can - it's very much possible to get in with less than perfect grades, but the better they are, the more doors are open to you. All the work experience, voluntary work, extra/super-curricular stuff WILL NOT MATTER if you don't have the grades and the UKCAT/BMAT scores.

If you can get some work experience sorted out over the summer, that's great. You can use your time post-exams to look at what sort of volunteering might interest you and what's available in your area, then get involved. You're already having instrumental lessons and have some involvement in sport, so just keep those up.
Original post by Helenia
This thread makes you sound a bit breathless and like you're trying to do absolutely everything all at once. There's no need to stress, you've got plenty of time and you've been told the things you need to do. Right now, your priority should be getting the best GCSE grades you can - it's very much possible to get in with less than perfect grades, but the better they are, the more doors are open to you. All the work experience, voluntary work, extra/super-curricular stuff WILL NOT MATTER if you don't have the grades and the UKCAT/BMAT scores.

If you can get some work experience sorted out over the summer, that's great. You can use your time post-exams to look at what sort of volunteering might interest you and what's available in your area, then get involved. You're already having instrumental lessons and have some involvement in sport, so just keep those up.

Ah ok and thanks you sooooo much!
Finally,I'm going on holiday to India over the entire holidays in summer,if I did WE in a Indian hospital,would that still count or?
Original post by VNN
Haha,reading journals???
Other super curricular include,what are super curriculars?
Thanks.

Okay maybe not journals, but basically, supercurricular is what it says on the tin really, i.e. stuff related to the curriculum but in more detail than you need to know. I can't remember what you learn at GCSE, but let's just say that you learn about the structure of a cell; a supercurricular activity would be reading up more in detail about the structure of the cell in a book or something. Things like teaching are supercurricular too, I've done tutoring before, I also briefly taught in a primary school, and ran a science club for younger years when I was in year 13 as well. Things like that will look good for applying to traditional, systems based medical schools (oxbridge and london mainly), and if anything, they make you stand out quite a lot, if everyone does the same thing to make them seem unique then that thing is no longer unique, so many people do DofE these days that it doesn't actually really make you stand out anymore (although it is still good to do of course!)
Okay maybe not journals, but basically, supercurricular is what it says on the tin really, i.e. stuff related to the curriculum but in more detail than you need to know. I can't remember what you learn at GCSE, but let's just say that you learn about the structure of a cell; a supercurricular activity would be reading up more in detail about the structure of the cell in a book or something. Things like teaching are supercurricular too, I've done tutoring before, I also briefly taught in a primary school, and ran a science club for younger years when I was in year 13 as well. Things like that will look good for applying to traditional, systems based medical schools (oxbridge and london mainly), and if anything, they make you stand out quite a lot, if everyone does the same thing to make them seem unique then that thing is no longer unique, so many people do DofE these days that it doesn't actually really make you stand out anymore (although it is still good to do of course!)

Ah ok....
So how do you prove to university's that you have done the specific super curricular a...or do they ask for proof?
Thanks,
Original post by VNN
Ah ok....
So how do you prove to university's that you have done the specific super curricular a...or do they ask for proof?
Thanks,

They may ask you about it at interview, I personally wasn't asked much about my hobbies/activities at my interviews, technically, you could lie about pretty much everything in your personal statement, but they will catch you if they ask you about it at interview, because, unless you're a very good liar, you won't be able to give a very good answer. But no, out of the unis I applied to, only one of them asked for me to send them information about my work placements (to ensure I hadn't lied about them), but none of the unis asked for proof that I had done any of the other things that I wrote about in my personal statement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending