The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Parties in LA
Yeah I read Chelsea thread more, rarely read this. This thread has never been much good (I've been here longer than Samir), I find United fans' analysis clouded by their years of success. Ferguson's willpower and leadership got them to great success as opposed to many actual footballing ideals. As a result they rarely understand or appreciate what we'd broadly term as 'knowledge' in a footballing context, distinguishing that from history and nostalgia. That's not a slight on Ferguson but he's left behind a mass of spoiled brats who throw their toys out of the pram upon anything but comprehensive success (even progress), value superficial attributes over tangible ones, have a near-innate delusion about their club, with a unparalleled dearth of football knowledge amongst the fan bases of top teams. And that delusion isn't so overt, it's buried deep down. At the roots, the basal layer, United fans truly believe that they're superior and impregnable. Rarely is there acknowledgements made of the contrary. There's no humility, just blind faith in 'Manchester United' and their bubble of (disintegrating) greatness. I wasn't around in the early 90s but the Liverpool fans of the time weren't dissimilar. Success does that. Cover up the failings of a fanbase of ****wits. Thoughts

Anyone know what time AJ fight starts?
Original post by KingKoala
Anyone know what time AJ fight starts?

10:45
Reply 7383
How has this thread turned to aids without me??
Reply 7384
Yeah I read Chelsea thread more, rarely read this. This thread has never been much good (I've been here longer than Samir), I find United fans' analysis clouded by their years of success. Ferguson's willpower and leadership got them to great success as opposed to many actual footballing ideals. As a result they rarely understand or appreciate what we'd broadly term as 'knowledge' in a footballing context, distinguishing that from history and nostalgia. That's not a slight on Ferguson but he's left behind a mass of spoiled brats who throw their toys out of the pram upon anything but comprehensive success (even progress), value superficial attributes over tangible ones, have a near-innate delusion about their club, with a unparalleled dearth of football knowledge amongst the fan bases of top teams. And that delusion isn't so overt, it's buried deep down. At the roots, the basal layer, United fans truly believe that they're superior and impregnable. Rarely is there acknowledgements made of the contrary. There's no humility, just blind faith in 'Manchester United' and their bubble of (disintegrating) greatness. I wasn't around in the early 90s but the Liverpool fans of the time weren't dissimilar. Success does that. Cover up the failings of a fanbase of ****wits. Thoughts

Going hard in the paint.

I have noticed this on this site though. But I just think it's a case of some of the people on here making the thread cancerous more so than anything. Those are the people you describe. Others are just jokers trying to get brownie points rather than contributing to actual football discussion.

Original post by Dirtybit
Oh and also lol at the people who aren't actually students but on the thestudentroom.co.uk complaining about the thread quality

I am a student. A student of the game.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by KingKoala
Thoughts on Wilson's future at United, my guess is that Rashford has pretty much destroyed his chances.

Maybe hows he been
Generally agree with SUG. Don't know if it applies to all Man Utd fans as per his post but other than a handful of good/great posters who are Man Utd fans, I've always found the quality of the Man Utd society thread way lower than the others.

Original post by Dirtybit
Oh and also lol at the people who aren't actually students but on the thestudentroom.co.uk complaining about the thread quality

Not sure what being a student has to do with posting in what is effectively a football forum within a student forum. Unless you're doing some football/sports related academia?
Reply 7387
Reply 7388
Original post by Zerforax
Generally agree with SUG. Don't know if it applies to all Man Utd fans as per his post but other than a handful of good/great posters who are Man Utd fans, I've always found the quality of the Man Utd society thread way lower than the others.

Not sure what being a student has to do with posting in what is effectively a football forum within a student forum. Unless you're doing some football/sports related academia?

I would say that the Arsenal thread was easily worse back in the day though. I don't really venture in that thread too much any more as it's troll central(along with this). In all honesty the Liverpool thread is the only thread I read properly other than my own teams thread.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Going hard in the paint.

I have noticed this on this site though. But I just think it's a case of some of the people on here making the thread cancerous more so than anything. Those are the people you describe. Others are just jokers trying to get brownie points rather than contributing to actual football discussion.

Not even just on this site. There are 1/2 decent sporadic posters on here but in real life United fans' delusions of grandeur are bordering on neurotic. The likes of sr90, Old Simon RIP, Hayles and Manchester United (truly believes their youth academy is better than Liverpool's, City's or Chelsea's LOL) are genuinely representative of their IRL fanbase. There's no substance to them and, well, the rest I've mentioned in my earlier post. Thoughts from neutrals @Malevolent @Vae @Wilfred Little

@bammy jastard 27 the Arsenal thread on here, and AFTV, aren't fairly representative of their fanbase. There's a huge proportion of fickle twitter fans but there are a few diamonds in the rough. As bad as the Arsenal thread is I still prefer it to this one.
(edited 8 years ago)

Because it's a website created for students and all the threads in it are too. E.G the football forum FOR students
Not even just on this site. There are 1/2 decent sporadic posters on here but in real life United fans' delusions of grandeur are bordering on neurotic. The likes of sr90, Old Simon RIP, Hayles and Manchester United (truly believes their youth academy is better than Liverpool's, City's or Chelsea's LOL) are genuinely representative of their IRL fanbase. There's no substance to them and, well, the rest I've mentioned in my earlier post. Thoughts from neutrals @Malevolent @Vae @Wilfred Little

@bammy jastard 27 the Arsenal thread on here, and AFTV, aren't fairly representative of their fanbase. There's a huge proportion of fickle twitter fans but there are a few diamonds in the rough. As bad as the Arsenal thread is I still prefer it to this one.

You think sr90 represents United fans IRL? He's like an Arsenal fan; when everything is rosey, he's ok but as soon as one bit of negativity comes around, he calls for the managers head. And this started way before Christmas.

I think what you'll find with this thread is, we used to care and would speak football and genuinely have discussions. However since Xmas, we have grown so disillusioned with what we're seeing, we've just given up and rather than moan and grumble every game, we just joke about random ****.

Bit like when your girl leaves you and you feel a bit down, you focus your energy elsewhere like work and the gym etc, but really deep down, you're still hurting.

The reason Liverpool fans are a bit different to us is because they have a competent manager who is trying to put a plan into place.
Lol @ the people claiming this thread has turned to **** when they're derailing it themselves.
Original post by zKlown
You think sr90 represents United fans IRL? He's like an Arsenal fan; when everything is rosey, he's ok but as soon as one bit of negativity comes around, he calls for the managers head. And this started way before Christmas.

I think what you'll find with this thread is, we used to care and would speak football and genuinely have discussions. However since Xmas, we have grown so disillusioned with what we're seeing, we've just given up and rather than moan and grumble every game, we just joke about random ****.

Bit like when your girl leaves you and you feel a bit down, you focus your energy elsewhere like work and the gym etc, but really deep down, you're still hurting.

The reason Liverpool fans are a bit different to us is because they have a competent manager who is trying to put a plan into place.

That was actually a serious and well written post...from zKlown.
Didn't expect to see that today!

I agree tbh though - it's a big change for you and when your team sucks you become less bothered because you don't fancy talking about how rubbish you are.
Original post by Rk2k14
Lol @ the people claiming this thread has turned to **** when they're derailing it themselves.

Yeah like I was implying earlier...they're going to talk about that forever.

Mabye that's more interesting to them who knows?
Reply 7395
Why the **** is carrick is starting ****ing hell
Need a big game from Carrick today.
When Mourinho comes in we'll finally see Herrera starting most games. I'm sure Herrera can't wait for next season.
Original post by qasidb
When Mourinho comes in we'll finally see Herrera starting most games. I'm sure Herrera can't wait for next season.

Latest