The Student Room Group

The Road to Success (hopefully!)

Scroll to see replies

Hey how do you revise for english lit
[QUOTE="graciousgannon;64157947"]
Original post by lilacpotato

It sounds awesome haha, is it just one exam or is there more than one? Wow that's cool! I do like German but it is really tough...yeah I think that's what I'm going to have to do and just hope for the best! I'd love an A but the way my exam papers are going I would be happy with a B😂 I've tried quizlet before but never duolingo, is it good?

One 2hr long exam!!!! 😭 Plus we've done coursework that counts for 25%.
I find Duolingo really useful, it might be worth a go!

What's your favourite/best subject? 😊
Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry I'm not very good at quoting lol 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by graciousgannon
It's a Photography exam! I also have 4 weeks of school, study leave starts on 20th May and I suppose you could say my first 'official' exam is on the 17th May(I think).

Thank you so much! :smile: I noticed you haven't been on for a while actually, I was looking forward to reading your revision updates but there weren't any!:wink: I'll say it's because you're way too engrossed in school work...am I right?

What/When is your first exam by the way?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh ! That makes more sense! :smile: My study leave starts on the 13th May and my first exams is on the 16th May. :colondollar:

TSR was stressing me out so I've been trying to avoid it a little. And obviously I've been doing loads of revision... :wink:
Original post by Ara8311a
Oh ! That makes more sense! :smile: My study leave starts on the 13th May and my first exams is on the 16th May. :colondollar:

TSR was stressing me out so I've been trying to avoid it a little. And obviously I've been doing loads of revision... :wink:

You have a study leave OMG lucky lucky lucky !! We don't well i think we don't :smile:
Original post by nisha.sri
Hey how do you revise for english lit

Hey! That's a really good question...I actually don't. Not yet anyway! I really really don't like English so I've been putting off the revision forever. What I'll probably do is create mind maps on each theme that is portrayed in the book/play (e.g the theme of Marriage in Pride and Prejudice) and then mind maps on each of the characters. If I get time I also might re read the book/play to see if I can pick out anymore quotes and also just to understand the story more as a whole.

For unseen poetry I'll just revise the different techniques and skills used in poetry and maybe find some past papers or other poems and practice writing paragraphs on them.

I'm probably one of the worst people to give revision advice on English since I don't revise (I really should practice what I preach) but I hope this is helpful in some way! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lilacpotato
Sorry I'm not very good at quoting lol 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha it's okay! I'm still trying to get the hang of it too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow! I'm hoping our school change our study leave to a week earlier otherwise we have 3 or 4 exams before it even starts...

That's fair! I've found that TSR has been the only thing helping me keep on track recently but I can understand why it would be stressful. Haha yes, we've all been solidly revising, obviously...XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey! That's a really good question...I actually don't. Not yet anyway! I really really don't like English so I've been putting off the revision forever. What I'll probably do is create mind maps on each theme that is portrayed in the book/play (e.g the theme of Marriage in Pride and Prejudice) and then mind maps on each of the characters. If I get time I also might re read the book/play to see if I can pick out anymore quotes and also just to understand the story more as a whole.

For unseen poetry I'll just revise the different techniques and skills used in poetry and maybe find some past papers or other poems and practice writing paragraphs on them.

I'm probably one of the worst people to give revision advice on English since I don't revise (I really should practice what I preach) but I hope this is helpful in some way! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha great :smile: I just find mind maps messy well i do them messy :smile: Hehe
Totally helped me though thanks a lot :smile: x
Haha great :smile: I just find mind maps messy well i do them messy :smile: Hehe
Totally helped me though thanks a lot :smile: x

I feel you! Honestly I don't particularly like using mind maps but I just don't see other techniques for English being useful to me :smile: I'm glad I could help! When's your first exam?x
I feel you! Honestly I don't particularly like using mind maps but I just don't see other techniques for English being useful to me :smile: I'm glad I could help! When's your first exam?x

:smile: My first exam is Biology 1 and French :biggrin: which i think i will do well
When is yours ? ( Unless i've already asked you and maybe i forgot)
I think my revision is going good but i sometimes get distracted you ?
You have a study leave OMG lucky lucky lucky !! We don't well i think we don't :smile:

I know! I don't know what I'd do without it! Have you tried Mr Bruff on youtube for English lit? I watched a couple of his videos on the lit exams before our mocks and they saved me. :biggrin:

Oh wow! I'm hoping our school change our study leave to a week earlier otherwise we have 3 or 4 exams before it even starts...

That's fair! I've found that TSR has been the only thing helping me keep on track recently but I can understand why it would be stressful. Haha yes, we've all been solidly revising, obviously...XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, solid revision (closes netflix tab)... I'm back now but I just won't post as much as I was as it was getting a tad obsessive.
:smile: My first exam is Biology 1 and French :biggrin: which i think i will do well
When is yours ? ( Unless i've already asked you and maybe i forgot)
I think my revision is going good but i sometimes get distracted you ?

Now that my photography exam is done, my first is Biology U1 too! Good luck :smile: I'm the same, I get way too distracted when I'm revising but now there's only a month left I really need to start working harder...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, solid revision (closes netflix tab)... I'm back now but I just won't post as much as I was as it was getting a tad obsessive.

Haha, that sounds like me too😂 well it's definitely best to do what works for you but I look forward to reading your posts! Good luck on your revision and exams :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
UPDATE - Friday 15th April

MY EXAM IS OVER. I couldn't be happier. It actually went quite well and I'm happy with what I produced. I definitely ate way too many sweets in the exam though...

I now have two weeks to get them printed professionally. Apparently the teachers have marked our coursework so next week we will start working on that I guess??

I haven't gotten any updates revision wise because I've been so engrossed in my photography work. Tomorrow I plan to do a bit of History revision but also take a break.

I did get my reading and listening mock exam grades back in German though!! Clearly my hard work has paid off. I got 27 on the reading paper which was a B (the same as last time I think?) but I got 24 on the listening which was a C!! I did it!!!!! I didn't get a U! I'm so happy. Now I have to work hard to get that B or maybe even the A that I want. I know I can do this, I just have to practice, practice, practice.

I'm going to go and get off of my phone now. I wish you all the best and remember to revise but don't push it!!

Grace :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
UPDATE - Sunday 17th April

Today, I'm starting revision a bit later because I stayed at my friends house and didn't get home until about 1pm. I'm feeling tired but I have an exam on Tuesday so I need to get some revision done. Here is what I want to do today:

1) Order my exam photographs online for professional printing.
2) Finish my History homework.
3) Do my German homework (listening and reading exercises)
4) Create at least 10 key term flashcards for the Medicine Through Time course.
5) Revise around 4 topics of C2.

I'm hoping I'll get this all done, it doesn't seem like much but it's all important so I want to make sure I do it properly. I've also learnt that I need to start making my targets more specific, so rather than saying "Revise some science" I need to say "Revise 5 topics of Physics Unit 2" for example. It's much more helpful.

I better get to work then :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Did I do what I planned to do?

1) I ordered these photos to print which is a huge weight off of my shoulders. I just have to wait for them to arrive now!
2) I did finish the History homework I wanted to do. It took around an hour which was longer than I expected it to take but it was a really good revision exercise for the upcoming mock and the real exam.
3) I did the German listening and reading exercises and they actually went relatively well. Although they only took about 20 minutes I spent another 10 minutes noting down words I didn't understand so all in all I spent about 30 minutes on that.
4) Not only did I create 10 flashcards, I actually made 14! I was going to try and make a few more but my dinner was ready so I had to stop and I decided not to go back to it. 14 is great though, and it only took me around 30 minutes to make them.
5) I managed to revise 4 smaller topics of chemistry, but I spent a lot longer on revising the Empirical Formula because it's something I've always struggled with. I think I get it now but I'll need to keep practicing. :smile:

So all in all, for me that was a very productive afternoon (also considering how tired I am I managed to keep my focus really well!). Deleting my social media really has been a step in the right direction because I can't get distracted by scrolling through Facebook or twitter looking at nothing in particular. I'm also sleeping properly which is another bonus.

Since I'm so tired I've finished a bit earlier than I usually do, but that's okay. Revising now would be pointless because I wouldn't be able to take much in.

I always write so much on this, and I'll probably look back over summer and think "What on Earth was I talking about?" haha:tongue:. That's all I have to say for today really, I hope you had a great and productive afternoon!

Did I do what I planned to do?

1) I ordered these photos to print which is a huge weight off of my shoulders. I just have to wait for them to arrive now!
2) I did finish the History homework I wanted to do. It took around an hour which was longer than I expected it to take but it was a really good revision exercise for the upcoming mock and the real exam.
3) I did the German listening and reading exercises and they actually went relatively well. Although they only took about 20 minutes I spent another 10 minutes noting down words I didn't understand so all in all I spent about 30 minutes on that.
4) Not only did I create 10 flashcards, I actually made 14! I was going to try and make a few more but my dinner was ready so I had to stop and I decided not to go back to it. 14 is great though, and it only took me around 30 minutes to make them.
5) I managed to revise 4 smaller topics of chemistry, but I spent a lot longer on revising the Empirical Formula because it's something I've always struggled with. I think I get it now but I'll need to keep practicing. :smile:

So all in all, for me that was a very productive afternoon (also considering how tired I am I managed to keep my focus really well!). Deleting my social media really has been a step in the right direction because I can't get distracted by scrolling through Facebook or twitter looking at nothing in particular. I'm also sleeping properly which is another bonus.

Since I'm so tired I've finished a bit earlier than I usually do, but that's okay. Revising now would be pointless because I wouldn't be able to take much in.

I always write so much on this, and I'll probably look back over summer and think "What on Earth was I talking about?" haha:tongue:. That's all I have to say for today really, I hope you had a great and productive afternoon!

You've done a lot and it's good to practice on something you've been struggling with :smile: Yes, deleting social media is great plus it won't distract you ever again. I deleted mine at the start of year 11. I also made this rule that if i don't delete my social media i will fail my exams which scared me. Haha :smile:
You've done a lot and it's good to practice on something you've been struggling with :smile: Yes, deleting social media is great plus it won't distract you ever again. I deleted mine at the start of year 11. I also made this rule that if i don't delete my social media i will fail my exams which scared me. Haha :smile:

Wow! It definitely was a good idea and I mean we have all of the time in the world during summer to do what we like:tongue:
UPDATE - Monday 18th April

Today I did quite a bit of work at school. I finished doing a practice maths paper 1 in which I marked and got 79/100 on, which is good but definitely needs some work! I did all of my corrections on my science mock exams and also marked my C2 topic test that we did the other day. I got 30/45 which was an A...I didn't get to revise for that test because I didn't even know I had it so that grade is okay but I could do better. I also did some science revision in Photography but it was very light and was basically just me and my friends testing each other. I got quite a bit of ICT coursework done not only in the lesson but at lunch time and after school.

Tonight I want to go over the exam skills for the Medicine Through Time paper and write them out and make sure I understand them for tomorrow's exam. I'll go over my flashcards too, but I can't make any more today because I don't have them with me.

I'll update later to see what I managed to do :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending