The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ARSHKFW
Does anybody know if it would be worth applying for the MPhil Econ course with a first in a BA Economics and philosophy degree from the University of Nottingham?

Which bit are you worried about? If it's your undergrad university (and I'm assuming it is, because the courses seem to match and a first is a good thing!) then don't worry, that's absolutely fine.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by physicsphysics91
The PGCE college allocation system is terrible. Since January I've had my college application passed between 3 colleges and still not heard anything, it seems to get 'stuck' at colleges when they forget.

I was told it takes about a month - presumably per college. I waited a month, and then rang, and was told I'd been accepted by Homerton and would get the letter in a couple of days. It wouldn't be a bad idea to ring, hopefully they can give you an update, and maybe nudge the colleges.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jantaculum
Which bit are you worried about? If it's your undergrad university (and I'm assuming it is, because the courses seem to match and a first is a good thing!) then don't worry, that's absolutely fine.

I was worried about the undergrad degree being BA as opposed to BSc, however it contains optional mathematical modules so provided I get a high score in those do you think this will demonstrate quantative ability to the right level for access to the MSc course/
Original post by Ashleyclaire
I was told it takes about a month - presumably per college. I waited a month, and then rang, and was told I'd been accepted by Homerton and would get the letter in a couple of days. It wouldn't be a bad idea to ring, hopefully they can give you an update, and maybe nudge the colleges.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll ring tomorrow. I rang Emmanuel (who had my application) and they informed me that they had stopped taking PGCE applications.
Original post by ARSHKFW
I was worried about the undergrad degree being BA as opposed to BSc, however it contains optional mathematical modules so provided I get a high score in those do you think this will demonstrate quantative ability to the right level for access to the MSc course/

How much mathematics and econometrics have you done in your undergrad? Also, did/will you write a dissertation?

As long as you maintain a predicted first with a good amount of mathematics/econometrics modules you should be fine.
Reply 2625
Original post by N8888
I was accepted at Trinity Hall in February and I'd like to know a bit more about it. I see it's very pretty and smaller, but I'd like to know more about social life, support, funding, accomodations, etc. The college won't influence my decision (which is dependant on funding), but any information to help me better prepare would be grealty appreciated.

I'm an overseas international student going for a one-year MPhil in Development Studies.

Thanks!

Congrats! Friends at Trinity Hall like it very much. Yes, it's small but their MCR is quite active. Re: accommodation I only know Wychfield, which has really nice, new accommodation and the sport fields are close by. Wychfield is obviously very convenient if you work at the West Cambridge site but I don't know where students for Development Studies work (if it's Sidqwick site that would be good as well).

On the main site, they have some nice gardens and the library must be great :wink:

Trinity Hall has several funding opportunities but I think the application deadline for those was the 31 March. Maybe you could email them and ask whether it would be ok to submit now but probably too late :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly who am I supposed to contact?
Original post by Young Oldman
Exactly who am I supposed to contact?

This was only in reference to PGCEs, I doubt it's the same for other courses.
I contacted Ursula, she was the woman who sent me an email inviting me to interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This was only in reference to PGCEs, I doubt it's the same for other courses.
I contacted Ursula, she was the woman who sent me an email inviting me to interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

By chance got offered a place at Homerton this morning.
Hello All,

Can you please share, how does the English language assessment by the language centre looks like?
Original post by Lena17
Hello All,

Can you please share, how does the English language assessment by the language centre looks like?

Just did today.

you should read two articles on critical thinking, incorporate the ideas from those two articles in one, add your opinion and write essay on importance of critical thinking in postgraduate study.

Also listen to the 10 minute lecture about the history of Cambridge University and write a summary.

And finally writing, where 1) you should write why do you want to study there and why did you choose that course, 2) assess your academic English abilities honestly and 3) paraphrase a sentence in terms of academic objectivity.
Reply 2631
Original post by tj23
Congrats! Friends at Trinity Hall like it very much. Yes, it's small but their MCR is quite active. Re: accommodation I only know Wychfield, which has really nice, new accommodation and the sport fields are close by. Wychfield is obviously very convenient if you work at the West Cambridge site but I don't know where students for Development Studies work (if it's Sidqwick site that would be good as well).

On the main site, they have some nice gardens and the library must be great :wink:

Trinity Hall has several funding opportunities but I think the application deadline for those was the 31 March. Maybe you could email them and ask whether it would be ok to submit now but probably too late :frown:

Thank you for the response! I did already submit the funding application for Trinity Hall in Mid-March and I'm now waiting for a response. I don't mind a 20 minute walk or few minutes by bike. I prefer somewhere that's a bit more of a liberal setting with a more open-minded culture to it. I come from a more humble background and the elitism of Oxbridge concerns me, although I do know that the critical nature of the Development Studies programme is much more inviting.

I have an offer from Oxford's 2-year MPhil in Development Studies as well (Cambridge is only one year) and I'm waiting ot hear on internal ad external funding for both. I havea generously-funded offer from my home university for an MA in Development Studies as well and I need to accept or decline that one by April 21st. Decisions, decisions!
Ugh I tried to ask the department about my ranking regarding funding for a MPhil in Engineering and haven't heard from them.

I do not want to accept other offers than withdraw them when (and if) I get funding from Cambridge. But my deadline to accept those offers is at the end of the month!

Pretty annoying that they take so long to tell us about funding, when other schools provide deadlines to accept offers in April.

Especially if they will not be providing any funding! I think they should inform us when our we won't be receiving funding! ://

Original post by N8888
Thank you for the response! I did already submit the funding application for Trinity Hall in Mid-March and I'm now waiting for a response. I don't mind a 20 minute walk or few minutes by bike. I prefer somewhere that's a bit more of a liberal setting with a more open-minded culture to it. I come from a more humble background and the elitism of Oxbridge concerns me, although I do know that the critical nature of the Development Studies programme is much more inviting.

I have an offer from Oxford's 2-year MPhil in Development Studies as well (Cambridge is only one year) and I'm waiting ot hear on internal ad external funding for both. I havea generously-funded offer from my home university for an MA in Development Studies as well and I need to accept or decline that one by April 21st. Decisions, decisions!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2633
Original post by MastersGirl
Have either of you heard back yet?

Hi MastersGirl, I had an interview late march and was accepted roughly a week later. Hope that helps!
Original post by baia_teo
Just did today.

you should read two articles on critical thinking, incorporate the ideas from those two articles in one, add your opinion and write essay on importance of critical thinking in postgraduate study.

Also listen to the 10 minute lecture about the history of Cambridge University and write a summary.

And finally writing, where 1) you should write why do you want to study there and why did you choose that course, 2) assess your academic English abilities honestly and 3) paraphrase a sentence in terms of academic objectivity.

Hello!

I did it yesterday too. How did it go? I dont really know what to think about it. Fingers crossed for you! ;-)
Reply 2635
Hi guys,

I went onto CAMSIS and my status had changed to "Awaiting decision by Board of Graduate Studies" (or something like that). Doing Development Studies MPhil - it's worth logging online!
Original post by Lena17
Hello!

I did it yesterday too. How did it go? I dont really know what to think about it. Fingers crossed for you! ;-)

yeah, fingers crossed for both of us :smile:)
Reply 2637
Original post by rkk.
Hi guys,

I went onto CAMSIS and my status had changed to "Awaiting decision by Board of Graduate Studies" (or something like that). Doing Development Studies MPhil - it's worth logging online!

Hi!! This sounds good! Fingers crossed you will get your offer soon 😊
May I ask about your BA profile?
My status didn't change yet... So I guess this is either going to be a rejection or I wasn't lucky enough to get into the second wave of applicants which are beeing considered......
Waiting sucks 😜
Original post by rkk.
Hi guys,

So jealous. Been waiting 4 months now and it's still "Awaiting Consideration by Department" (!) :frown:
Original post by slb12
Hi MastersGirl, I had an interview late march and was accepted roughly a week later. Hope that helps!

Oh great! No I was actually accepted in January and I was looking for more people who will be joining me in October! Theres a favebook page for our course, if you search for 'Bioscience Enterprise 2016-2017, Cambridge' it should come up :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending