The Student Room Group

Cash out for £72k or see it through for £250k?

Scroll to see replies

Neither. That cash out deal is awful.

You can lay Leicester (i.e. bet the don't win) at odds of 1.55 on betfair.
Lay them for £91,685 stake and you'd be gauranteed to make £160k irrespective of the result. :biggrin:
That's what i would do
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Ayaz789
But you have to look at Spurs games too , they have Newcastle last game who will be desperate to take all 3 points to get out of relegation & they have chelsea! Swansea got beaten by Newcastle 3-0 last week so Swanseas game shouldn't be too hard so its just Utd tbh & by Chelsea the title should be finished imo!

Yeah that's valid - I hope so really, as it'd be epic to see LCFC win the league.
Original post by leinad2012

Lay them for £91,685 liability and you'd be gauranteed to make £160k irrespective of the result. :biggrin:
That's what i would do

But you need to have enough to cover the liability in your account to make a lay bet in the first place. I don't think every single person I know combined would be able to lend me £92k!
I suppose if I was rich I'd offer someone £100k for the ticket and still make £60k profit for doing bugger all.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'd buy insurance off someone who is going to offer a better rate than a bookie.
Leicester have a tough run in plus they have lost Vardy for at least 2. So hope L hang on.

Lay them for £91,685 liability and you'd be gauranteed to make £160k irrespective of the result. :biggrin:
That's what i would do

Original post by pol pot noodles
But you need to have enough to cover the liability in your account to make a lay bet in the first place. I don't think every single person I know combined would be able to lend me £92k!
I suppose if I was rich I'd offer someone £100k for the ticket and still make £60k profit for doing bugger all.

Actually i put that wrong the stake is 90k, you yourself would be betting 120k!

Maybe you know no one, but you'd gain 90k in profit. You could easily go to a bank with that info and I'm sure they would give you a loan for a split of the extra profits. 120k 5 week loan for a guaranteed 33% return (assuming you gave them 40k odd the extra profit) , what bank would turn that down?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by Pickles
You have a £50 bet at 5000/1 on Leicester City to win the league this season.

What do you do? Cash out for £72k now or see it through for £250k?

Depends who the bet was with. If a bookie then the cashout value will be below it's true value at current odds.

I'd place an equilivant lay bet with an exchange to cover the loss.
Original post by Reue
Depends who the bet was with. If a bookie then the cashout value will be below it's true value at current odds.

I'd place an equilivant lay bet with an exchange to cover the loss.

Based on current odds and the deal given, you'd make more than double the cash out offer by doing this
i support tottenham, yet if you are pussy enough to feel that leicester still wont win this comfortably you shouldnt be betting at all.
I would gladly take the 72 grand. It's like 7 times more than what I earn right now haha
Original post by welcometoib
i support tottenham, yet if you are pussy enough to feel that leicester still wont win this comfortably you shouldnt be betting at all.

i support man utd, yet if you are pussy enough to feel that newcastle still wont win this comfortably you shouldnt be betting at all. i'd love it if we beat them. love it.
Reply 31
Original post by paulthompson94
I would gladly take the 72 grand. It's like 7 times more than what I earn right now haha

This.

I'm exactly the same.
Actually i put that wrong the stake is 90k, you yourself would be betting 120k!

Maybe you know no one, but you'd gain 90k in profit. You could easily go to a bank with that info and I'm sure they would give you a loan for a split of the extra profits. 120k 5 week loan for a guaranteed 33% return (assuming you gave them 40k odd the extra profit) , what bank would turn that down?

Just done the maths, you need to lay £178k at the exchange to get a return of £322k, that way you're guaranteed £72k profit. So you might as well just cash out...
(edited 8 years ago)
You have to ask yourself whether you'll be more gutted having £72k when you could have had £250k, or having £0 when you could have had £72k.

Now that Vardy's suspended I'd take the £72k.
Reply 34
That fan cashed out for £72,00 over a month ago. I wonder what the cash-out value would be now...
Original post by Neverdie
i support man utd, yet if you are pussy enough to feel that newcastle still wont win this comfortably you shouldnt be betting at all. i'd love it if we beat them. love it.

both united and newcastle are **** teams though, leicester wont cock up from here, as annoying as that is. #keegan
Original post by pol pot noodles
Just done the maths, you need to lay £178k at the exchange to get a return of £322k, that way you're guaranteed £72k profit. So you might as well just cash out...

Thats not true.
Taking odds of 5000/1 a £50 back stake and odds of 1.55 to lay on the exchange with 5% commission:

You should lau with a liability of £91,685 (your bet), a lay stake of £166,700.17

If your back wins, you would win 50*5000 - 91,685= 158,314.91

If you lau wins you win 0.95*£166,700.17 - £50= 158,314.91

Either way laying with a liability of £91,685.09 you would win roughly £160,000 irrespective of who wins the league
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JamesN88
You have to ask yourself whether you'll be more gutted having £72k when you could have had £250k, or having £0 when you could have had £72k.

Now that Vardy's suspended I'd take the £72k.

former defo, 72k isnt something thats hard to make in the grand scheme of life, 250k is a few years of graft post tax.
You're not on The Cube or Who Wants to be a Millionaire: there's no fallback scenario.

So take the £72k or sell the bet, for a sum in excess of £72k.
Original post by Pickles
You have a £50 bet at 5000/1 on Leicester City to win the league this season.

What do you do? Cash out for £72k now or see it through for £250k?

I wish gambling wasnt a sin (I would be loaded by now if i gambled) but I wold say see it through. 250k is always more welcome than 72k. 72k you cant even get a home in crap neighbourhoods throughout england these days

Quick Reply

Latest