The Student Room Group

Purposely missing an AS exam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Carnationlilyrose
There was a time when you didn't have to write a personal statement. Come to that, there was a time when resits didn't exist.

I was listening to someone on the radio last week talking about their UCAS application in the early 90s and they started off saying "you could only apply to 5 choices". :mad: nope in the 90s you could apply to SIX choices....and now I don't believe any of your other recollections because you can't even get the basics right and instead of checking you just looked at the current system.

There's probably a website somewhere that tracks all these changes :rip: December 15th Deadline :rip:
Original post by PQ
December 15th Deadline :rip:

Was that the deadline for medicine/vet medicine/dentistry and Oxford/Cambridge as well?
Original post by PQ
I was listening to someone on the radio last week talking about their UCAS application in the early 90s and they started off saying "you could only apply to 5 choices". :mad: nope in the 90s you could apply to SIX choices....and now I don't believe any of your other recollections because you can't even get the basics right and instead of checking you just looked at the current system.

There's probably a website somewhere that tracks all these changes :rip: December 15th Deadline :rip:

To be fair, one's memory does fade a bit. I am fairly sure it was 5 choices when I applied in the 70s and there was even some shenanigans involving punch cards, iirc. When I started processing applications in 1988 *gulps* there was the additional problem of one lot of applications on the UCCA form and another (I think) 5 on the PCAS form, so you could have about 10 irons in the fire back then. One of my sons had six choices but the other only had five as the UCAS rules changed in the intervening 4 years between 2005 and 2009.

Now, I can't remember even the simplest thing about the application process, which is why I quote you in all the time.
Original post by Hydeman
Was that the deadline for medicine/vet medicine/dentistry and Oxford/Cambridge as well?

no - the early deadline was always 15 October. The deadline only moved from December to January in 2002/3 ish?
Reply 64
Original post by Marsell
I've got my AS exams coming and I'm almost certain I'll fail my Economics exam. My other 3 subjects on the other hand I'm predicted A's and so I'd like to just miss my economics one. Will Uni's be able to see my grade at all? Or will it seem as though I never even studied Economics and only did the other 3? Also I plan to pick up another AS next year and do it for only the first year to get some extra UCAS points.
As a further point I have asked my teacher to allow me to not take the exam but was told it is too late.

Economics doesn't count towards your final a level, so don't stress too much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending