The Student Room Group

New edexcel alevel history - Democracies in Change

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Getting a bit last minute for Britain. Any good Last-minute Revision Tips?
Reply 41
Original post by hogree
Getting a bit last minute for Britain. Any good Last-minute Revision Tips?

I'm just trying to memorise the 5 chapters in these 10 days... No idea if I'll make it but got to try

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Here is a checklist I've made for the Britain exam which might be useful for you guys:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7lY2p3HVTEXVnpkU3o2N1AwQmc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Original post by aj2152
Here is a checklist I've made for the Britain exam which might be useful for you guys:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7lY2p3HVTEXVnpkU3o2N1AwQmc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers mate, ideal
Reply 44
Long shot, but if anyone has a list of all the dates of every notable act of the 20th century, that would be a life-saver. Really bad at the dates, would be great if there was a compiled list somewhere of all the major ones to remember.....
Reply 45
Done my notes from Chp 1 & 2 (so far) in audio form - which I can send through to anyone, if anyone wants a listen. Don't blame me if some of it sounds like rambling, because it is lol
Original post by hogree
Long shot, but if anyone has a list of all the dates of every notable act of the 20th century, that would be a life-saver. Really bad at the dates, would be great if there was a compiled list somewhere of all the major ones to remember.....

Hiya!! I tried to make one...but I think I went a bit overboard aha!
Reply 47
Original post by Unwrittenstars
Hiya!! I tried to make one...but I think I went a bit overboard aha!

Fab!! Mind if I share that with others?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hogree
Fab!! Mind if I share that with others?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go ahead! :smile:
Reply 49
Was also wondering - does anyone know how many edexcel specimen papers there are for the History module? And if so does anyone have access to them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hogree
Was also wondering - does anyone know how many edexcel specimen papers there are for the History module? And if so does anyone have access to them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know there's a couple but it's mainly teachers that can access them..
I've added this to the A-Level exam directory thread (which you can find here). Let me know if anyones finds or makes any more exam threads and I'll add them to the list! :parrot:
Reply 52
Anyone mind feedbacking on this essay? Getting worried because this is looking like my standard piece of work at the moment but it's pretty shabby in terms of knowledge... Oh dear oh dear. Any suggestions totally appreciated

Was higher income the main reason for the growth of a consumer society in Britain between 1951 and 1997? (20 Marks)

The growth of Britain's consumer society between 1951 and 1979 came as a result of several influential factors. In order to reach a judgement on whether higher real income was the main cause of this growth, we must compare the extent of the influence of higher real income and the extent of the influence of other primary factors. Despite the increase in spending money contributing hugely to the development of the consumer society, the impact of advertising and the growth of the supermarkets had a more significant influence on the change.

The increase in real income which accompanied the end of the Second World War had huge influence on the rise of the consumer society. The availability of employment with the rise of the welfare state allowed many to join in with the increasing supply of "spending money". However, there were certainly limits to this during the period - for example, the stagflation that defined much of the governments of the 60s and the 70s held back the increase of real income. Although many experienced a rise in real income and consequently were able to join the consumer society during this period, this was not a universal rule.

Some would argue that the rise in spending money for Brits was most closely linked to the growth of the consumer society. However, the immediate start of the consumerist atmosphere which sparked the society into being came during a period of austerity, when little increases in real income were manifested. This was the creation of the first supermarket, Croydon Sainsbury's, in 1950, which epitomized the consumerist atmosphere of the increased spending, saving and fuelling the economy. Therefore, it can be argued that the growth of the consumer society began with the creation of the supermarket.

Nevertheless, an even more signiifcant influence throughout the period was the rise of advertising, which contributed hugely to the rise of the consumer society. This can be seeen by the close correlation between the rise of advertising, rise of television ownership and growth of consumer spending. The influence of television in soceity cannot be undermined, with the impact of social realist dramas revealing social problems as a clear example of this influence. This can also be clearly seen in advertising, which fuelled much purchasing and generated much success, as can be seen by the continued increase in spending on advertising during the period.

Therefore, despite the increase in real income allowing many to contribute to the growth of the consumer society, the rise of supermarket and particularly advertising influenced the rise to a greater extent. Therefore, I do not agree that higher real income was the main reason for the growth of a consumer society in 1951-1997.
Reply 53
Another short point - Was wondering whether anyone's done the question on "Was the Crosland Circular the most important development in education policy? 45-79"

Bit lost about how to approach the question..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hogree
Anyone mind feedbacking on this essay? Getting worried because this is looking like my standard piece of work at the moment but it's pretty shabby in terms of knowledge... Oh dear oh dear. Any suggestions totally appreciated

Was higher income the main reason for the growth of a consumer society in Britain between 1951 and 1997? (20 Marks)

The growth of Britain's consumer society between 1951 and 1979 came as a result of several influential factors. In order to reach a judgement on whether higher real income was the main cause of this growth, we must compare the extent of the influence of higher real income and the extent of the influence of other primary factors. Despite the increase in spending money contributing hugely to the development of the consumer society, the impact of advertising and the growth of the supermarkets had a more significant influence on the change.

The increase in real income which accompanied the end of the Second World War had huge influence on the rise of the consumer society. The availability of employment with the rise of the welfare state allowed many to join in with the increasing supply of "spending money". However, there were certainly limits to this during the period - for example, the stagflation that defined much of the governments of the 60s and the 70s held back the increase of real income. Although many experienced a rise in real income and consequently were able to join the consumer society during this period, this was not a universal rule.

Some would argue that the rise in spending money for Brits was most closely linked to the growth of the consumer society. However, the immediate start of the consumerist atmosphere which sparked the society into being came during a period of austerity, when little increases in real income were manifested. This was the creation of the first supermarket, Croydon Sainsbury's, in 1950, which epitomized the consumerist atmosphere of the increased spending, saving and fuelling the economy. Therefore, it can be argued that the growth of the consumer society began with the creation of the supermarket.

Nevertheless, an even more signiifcant influence throughout the period was the rise of advertising, which contributed hugely to the rise of the consumer society. This can be seeen by the close correlation between the rise of advertising, rise of television ownership and growth of consumer spending. The influence of television in soceity cannot be undermined, with the impact of social realist dramas revealing social problems as a clear example of this influence. This can also be clearly seen in advertising, which fuelled much purchasing and generated much success, as can be seen by the continued increase in spending on advertising during the period.

Therefore, despite the increase in real income allowing many to contribute to the growth of the consumer society, the rise of supermarket and particularly advertising influenced the rise to a greater extent. Therefore, I do not agree that higher real income was the main reason for the growth of a consumer society in 1951-1997.

Personally, I'm really bad at marking other people's work aha, but I think you'd get around 12/13 for it...I don't really think you have a sustained judgement in it, and you're just going from point to point (which is what I used to do) but I'm not the best to ask aha!

I don't know if this will help but...

My history teacher for Britain said to do it based on a court case scenario (which I recently did an essay like it, and got 18/20, I can share if needed) so for example;
With a 'main reason' question, you'd do: Your argument (advertising) as a paragraph, then another question stating another point (which is acknowledging the other side of the argument, e.g, spending money) and then finish that same paragraph with why your argument is more convincing...I'm make something up but like: 'However, my argument is more convincing as without advertising, individuals may not have spent money on products in the first place.' Bad example as it'd need to be longer but yeah:smile:

Obviously I'm not an expert but that's what I changed within my essays to get my mark up, and like you said I think you may need more own knowledge to fully satisfy the question...
Reply 55
Thanks a lot that's really useful. My classic essay structure would be :
Intro
Question factor (support and challenge)
Other factor (support and challenge)
Conclusion

I'm just worried because I always feel it's just too simple and I don't know how to take my analysis to the next level...

So the court case idea - is that every paragraph that you mention other sides of the argument and state why your argument is better? Or what would it look like in practice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hogree
Thanks a lot that's really useful. My classic essay structure would be :
Intro
Question factor (support and challenge)
Conclusion

I'm just worried because I always feel it's just too simple and I don't know how to take my analysis to the next level...

So the court case idea - is that every paragraph that you mention other sides of the argument and state why your argument is better? Or what would it look like in practice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My teachers have said that sometimes simple is better as exams seem to be all about hitting the mark scheme!

Also, exactly that! It helps you to keep a sustained judgement, as you are always acknowledging that another individual might say something different but your argument is more convincing!

I've attached (kinda failed I think - oh it's gone weirdly into one here and one down below) the essay I got 18/20 on but obviously we don't know quite what the standard Edexcel want is...Plus excuse my teacher's handwriting aha.
13180943_1189513231072650_579782444_n.jpg
Attachment not found

So in this I've done;

Intro;
My main argument (Second World War);
Acknowledged there's another side (Beveridge Report) and then said why the Second World War is more important than the Beveridge Report, then continued that throughout the ssay for the other points.
Conclusion. (Got to admit that conclusion was quite bad...)

Obviously we aren't 100% sure, but it's an easy way to follow throughout the essay to make sure you hit the mark scheme, because before I didn't and achieved 13/14!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 57
Thanks for that again massively useful. I get what you're saying a bit. The thing I'm worrying about as well is that I just don't have enough knowledge. I guess that's just my responsibility to polish up. Out of interest did you write that in exam conditions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hogree
Thanks for that again massively useful. I get what you're saying a bit. The thing I'm worrying about as well is that I just don't have enough knowledge. I guess that's just my responsibility to polish up. Out of interest did you write that in exam conditions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, knowledge is one of my downfalls as well! Unfortunately it wasn't, as I had to redo it as I'm on a support plan for history as I didn't get the correct grade at GCSE! Beforehand when we did do it in exam conditions, I got 14 and I had most of what was there in it but it was backed up enough and I didn't have a judgement etc!
Hey, just wondering whether anyone has any tips for the technique of the Thatcher essay? Starting to panic... a lot! Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending