The Student Room Group

Any mature students on here who have gone back to study A-levels??

Scroll to see replies

Just checking up on the community of mature students who are currently studying A-levels. How is everyone getting on? Has anyone else's exam anxiety started kicking in yet? :frown:
Hey! I was thinking of doing 2 A-levels in one year in September! I'l be 21 and it's so good to see that I'm not the only one doing this, pheeww! When you self teach do you ever get bored or lonely? I am worried that I won't get the opportunity to meet as many people as you would at a college or doing an access course...
Original post by roro1609
Hey! I was thinking of doing 2 A-levels in one year in September! I'l be 21 and it's so good to see that I'm not the only one doing this, pheeww! When you self teach do you ever get bored or lonely? I am worried that I won't get the opportunity to meet as many people as you would at a college or doing an access course...

Actually for me it had the complete opposite effect on my social life! I have more time for friends as I don't have to waste time travelling to college and sit in lessons all day. It also meant that I could concentrate studying on my weaker topics instead of covering material that suits the teacher!

What subjects are you hoping to study and why do you want to do them both in just one year? What were you doing beforehand?
Ahh yeah that makes sense. I want to do Biology and Geology and I wanted to do them in one year as I don't want to waste another year when I could be at University. I have been travelling and living abroad for the last few years, working and doing bits and bobs so it'll be weird coming back to the UK and staying in one place for a whole year! What did you study/ studying? Where did you study/ studying?
Ahh yeah that makes sense. I want to do Biology and Geology and I wanted to do them in one year as I don't want to waste another year when I could be at University. I have been travelling and living abroad for the last few years, working and doing bits and bobs so it'll be weird coming back to the UK and staying in one place for a whole year! What did you study/ studying? Where did you study/ studying?

I'm currently studying AS-level Maths and Biology (exams start in a week). If you're hoping to do 2 full A-levels in one year you need to make sure you don't have too many other commitments. If you're like me then you'll find it's probably safer to span AS and A2 over two years!

Before you go any further, you need to check whether your travelling affects your entitlement to student finance. To qualify for a SFE student loan, you need to have been 'ordinarily resident' in the UK for the previous 3 years. If this is the case, you will probably be better off getting at least a part-time job, and taking two or three years to do your A levels.

http://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/1516/ft/sfe_how_paid_assessed_guide_1516_d.pdf
Original post by Schadenfreude65
Before you go any further, you need to check whether your travelling affects your entitlement to student finance. To qualify for a SFE student loan, you need to have been 'ordinarily resident' in the UK for the previous 3 years. If this is the case, you will probably be better off getting at least a part-time job, and taking two or three years to do your A levels.

http://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/1516/ft/sfe_how_paid_assessed_guide_1516_d.pdf

Ah okay thanks for letting me know about that.
Reply 47
Anxiety has been horrendous - and it's so hard juggling home-life, job + college.

Cried like a baby after psychology exams yesterday, not through lack of knowledge but just skipping/forgetting a 12-mark question, then rushing it. But looking at the unofficial mark scheme it isn't a complete loss - B grade marking at the worse case scenario. And I'm better at the next-paper, so I can make-up the marks, but it just puts on more pressure.

Finished an EPQ (Extended project) last week and got an A - would have been A* if hadn't been late with the deadline, and my Human Biology (did AS last year and got an A, and A-level this year) is going well, did my EMPA in April/May and dropped only a couple of marks (if any) it was so easy.

Only thing that has upset me is that University of my choice has said they won't accept medicine students who do their A-levels over 3-years, and I don't fancy doing a foundation year - which I'd have to put off until 2017 due to commuting distance and it just isn't practical currently.
Reply 48
Original post by Philip-flop
I'm currently studying AS-level Maths and Biology (exams start in a week). If you're hoping to do 2 full A-levels in one year you need to make sure you don't have too many other commitments. If you're like me then you'll find it's probably safer to span AS and A2 over two years!

How did you manage to home-study Biology? I'm aware ISA/EMPAs are not part of new spec', but I still thought you had to have completed a certain about of practicals with a teacher to sign them off?

I want to do chemistry self-study, as the nearest college is 1.5 hours there and back, and I don't fancy that loss of time every week and costs. Hence, I'm interested how you're managing to home-study a science subject. Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes, I'm retaking some of the modules in Bio and Chem and considering taking up a-level maths next year. I'm now nearly 22 and I've previously obtained a CertHE from an ex-polytechnic
Good on ya!!! I'm 23 years old. I picked up AS-level Maths and Bio (new 2015 spec) just before christmas and am now sitting exams. My first Maths exam is tomorrow!! Eeek :frown:
Original post by Kefte
How did you manage to home-study Biology? I'm aware ISA/EMPAs are not part of new spec', but I still thought you had to have completed a certain about of practicals with a teacher to sign them off?

I want to do chemistry self-study, as the nearest college is 1.5 hours there and back, and I don't fancy that loss of time every week and costs. Hence, I'm interested how you're managing to home-study a science subject. Thanks.

For Biology I'm not doing any of the practicals. With the new spec, doing the practicals doesn't add to your overall grade. But it'll show that I haven't done them. I literally bought the endorsed textbooks and read through all of it whilst taking notes and following the specification closely. Then I entered myself in as an external candidate at a near by school.
(edited 7 years ago)
Good on ya!!! I'm 23 years old. I picked up AS-level Maths and Bio (new 2015 spec) just before christmas and am now sitting exams. My first Maths exam is tomorrow!! Eeek :frown:

Best of luck with that :smile:

Here's hoping you boss it :smile:
Reply 53
For Biology I'm not doing any of the practicals. With the new spec, doing the practicals doesn't add to your overall grade. But it'll show that I haven't done them. I literally bought the endorsed textbooks and read through all of it whilst taking notes and following the specification closely. Then I entered myself in as an external candidate at a near by school.

Thanks, considering I've done practicals in biology it should hopefully hold little bearing, so I think I'll do this for Chemistry next-year. If I start after my exams finish, I'll have loads of time to get through the AS and A-level syllabus.

Good luck for you exams.
26, A Levels in humanities/social science subjects, applied for law.

Absolutely hated doing English Lit & Lang - the coursework is AWFUL.
History - my exam board is tricky and marked down everyone's coursework.

If you're going to do social sciences/history for A-levels, think you're better off doing sociology, history, politics, psychology, or English Literature (but not Lit & Lang).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by stratagems
26, A Levels in humanities/social science subjects, applied for law.

Absolutely hated doing English Lit & Lang - the coursework is AWFUL.
History - my exam board is tricky and marked down everyone's coursework.

If you're going to do social sciences/history for A-levels, think you're better off doing sociology, history, politics, psychology, or English Literature (but not Lit & Lang).

Wow!! Good on you!! It just goes to show age is just a number! You're never too old to study!
Wow!! Good on you!! It just goes to show age is just a number! You're never too old to study!

I tried between 20-24. I realised, in hindsight, that I wanted to do everything and put too much pressure on trying to achieve it all, while failing at it. I tried to do sciences AND two languages at the same time, because I didn't know if I wanted to apply for biology/medicine or politics or suchlike. It meant I was doing 5 evening classes a week while working full time and it's not sustainable, as I learnt the hard way.

For anyone considering going back to studying, the most important thing is to focus all of your attention on a the bare minimum - course/subject wise- doing 3 instead of trying to do 5 AS levels and spreading yourself thin. If you can, stop working and focus on studying. Trying to do both is difficult. Study a little, but often to reinforce things. Practise exam papers.

It was tough watching my three younger siblings all go onto to uni for medicine and Oxbridge of all things (not out of envy, but more like 'damn, I need to sort my life out and get my butt into gear and follow suit!'). Plus, the exodus of all my friends while they were away for uni was tough. So, it is never too late and you're never too old and I have really good friends who are only 19!

Moreover, all of those 'mistakes' that I spent years trying to correct led me to great experiences which ultimately made me decide for the first time on what subject I wanted to study.

My uni interviewers and I laughed about it - I said I contemplated every job in the world as a kid except for dentist and lawyer as I didn't want to stare into mouths or books all day, and law is the one I ended up going for. :smile:
I've been thinking about going back into education to train as a neuroscientist for a little while. Think I'm actually going to go for it and start A-Levels, though not until 2017; I'll be 26 when I start! Going to keep working until then to try and save up as much as possible so I can study full-time at college, and keep just a little bar work/saturday job on the side.

Super nervous about the whole idea and also super excited, I really want the next year to hurry up!
Original post by AmeliaLost
I've been thinking about going back into education to train as a neuroscientist for a little while. Think I'm actually going to go for it and start A-Levels, though not until 2017; I'll be 26 when I start! Going to keep working until then to try and save up as much as possible so I can study full-time at college, and keep just a little bar work/saturday job on the side.

Super nervous about the whole idea and also super excited, I really want the next year to hurry up!

Wow, You should definitely go for it!! It's true what they say about regretting the things you don't do later on in life!
Reply 59
I've got B, C and D grades at A-Level from when I was 18. Not great, also not absolutely terrible, so I've been torn between trying an access course or just doing another A-Level to fix up my grades and have some recent study experience come the next UCAS cycle. Universities I've enquired to have left me with mixed messages.

Currently leaning towards doing an A-Level, local college offers a one year course which sounds ideal. I'd have to self-fund, but having been a big fat failure, living at home and working minimum wage for the past few years I've got more than enough money saved up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending