The Student Room Group

Brexit the Movie

[video="youtube;UTMxfAkxfQ0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTMxfAkxfQ0[/video]

Raised issues about the EU I did not know of.

Now, I see it as economically better to leave, but no change in immigration. This changed me :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

I agreed with this review of it- it's essentially describing a neoliberal utopia of mass deregulation.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=787984157970262&id=642444842524195
Haven't watched all of it, but it does give a good insight into the vast amount of our money wasted on eu bureaucracy and how unaccountable it is.
Original post by james813
Haven't watched all of it, but it does give a good insight into the vast amount of our money wasted on eu bureaucracy and how unaccountable it is.

And UK governance is a model of efficiency and accountability by contrast?
Reply 4
Original post by ByEeek
And UK governance is a model of efficiency and accountability by contrast?

No, but one is far more democratic, and that's the bottom line for me.
Original post by Tamora

Attachment not found
As an eu citizen I do question the democractic process of the EU.... Who are these people running the EU? Who elected them? Who are they accountable to?

Yes, the EU has done lot of good things, especially regarding workers rights and human rights, but we have to question where the the money from members go
Original post by Tamora

Oh dear. You are going to find life very disappointing I am afraid. I too remember that blind optimism and feeling that I could genuinely change the world with my tiny ballot paper. I sadly voted for Tony Blair.
Original post by ByEeek
Oh dear. You are going to find life very disappointing I am afraid. I too remember that blind optimism and feeling that I could genuinely change the world with my tiny ballot paper. I sadly voted for Tony Blair.

At the same time, politicians would have power to change things outside of the EU - and if they choose not to use it, we can boot them out after 5 years. Not to mention how our £billions of contributions could be diverted to a lot more useful things, instead of paying for the expensive lifestyles of bureaucrats, and wasteful projects in other countries.

Btw, you must be a pretty old student
Original post by ByEeek

A lot of people voted Tony, don't worry about it
Reply 10
Original post by ByEeek

I haven't found life disappointing at all, but thanks for your concern.

Tony Blair betrayed Old Labour along with Neil Kinnock. You should have been able to see that coming a mile off.
Original post by james813
At the same time, politicians would have power to change things outside of the EU - and if they choose not to use it, we can boot them out after 5 years. Not to mention how our £billions of contributions could be diverted to a lot more useful things, instead of paying for the expensive lifestyles of bureaucrats, and wasteful projects in other countries.

Btw, you must be a pretty old student

This is true. But the reality is we tend not to boot out politicians we don't favour. Instead we tend to switch sides every 10 or so years when we are sick of the current lot. And as for the money - it will only go into something else hated or mistrusted by the public so is no great gain. The idea that leaving the EU opens some sort of Eutopian dream is a myth of unfounded optimism. At best, leaving the EU will have no impact on daily life. At worse... who knows.
Reply 12
Original post by Buonaparte
Attachment not found

Invalid attachment.
Reply 13
Original post by ByEeek
This is true. But the reality is we tend not to boot out politicians we don't favour. Instead we tend to switch sides every 10 or so years when we are sick of the current lot. And as for the money - it will only go into something else hated or mistrusted by the public so is no great gain. The idea that leaving the EU opens some sort of Eutopian dream is a myth of unfounded optimism. At best, leaving the EU will have no impact on daily life. At worse... who knows.

No one thinks an independent UK would be a utopian dream, but decisions would be made by people we can vote out. At least that way each side kept the other side in check even when sides were switched. Now policies are decided by the EU by majority vote. We can't switch them unless most of the EU also wants to switch.

The effect leaving the EU would have on daily life would depend on the politicians we elect. We could elect politicians who want to re-nationalise railways and power companies, or restrict immigration, or massively increase council house building, or strip workers rights, or lower taxes, or ban private cars, or increase the living wage, etc. That's what a return to democracy would mean.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tamora
No one thinks an independent UK would be a utopian dream, but decisions would be made by people we can vote out. At least that way each side kept the other side in check even when sides were switched. Now policies are decided by the EU by majority vote. We can't switch them unless most of the EU also wants to switch.

The effect leaving the EU would have on daily life would depend on the politicians we elect. We could elect politicians who want to re-nationalise railways and power companies, or restrict immigration, or massively increase council house building, or strip workers rights, or lower taxes, or ban private cars, or increase the living wage, etc. That's what a return to democracy would mean.

So what laws / decisions from the EU are you opposed to? Bearing in mind that we were part of their formation and our MEPs had the opportunity to ratify them.

And sadly, on a scale of power, I don't think politicians are very high up there. Nor do they sit behind a control panel pushing levers and knobs that "control" the country. For me, big business and the media are way more powerful. And of course there is the underlying economy that no one really controls but politicians will be first to claim responsibility for an improving situation but blame third parties for a worsening economy. All politicians can really do is tinker at the edges over things like whether Greggs should have toilet facilities and the like.

One thing is for sure - a vote to leave will unleash the law of unintended consequences in ways we can only imagine right now. Why take the risk?
Reply 15
Original post by ByEeek
So what laws / decisions from the EU are you opposed to? Bearing in mind that we were part of their formation and our MEPs had the opportunity to ratify them.

And sadly, on a scale of power, I don't think politicians are very high up there. Nor do they sit behind a control panel pushing levers and knobs that "control" the country. For me, big business and the media are way more powerful. And of course there is the underlying economy that no one really controls but politicians will be first to claim responsibility for an improving situation but blame third parties for a worsening economy. All politicians can really do is tinker at the edges over things like whether Greggs should have toilet facilities and the like.

One thing is for sure - a vote to leave will unleash the law of unintended consequences in ways we can only imagine right now. Why take the risk?

"The ones that says we may not negotiate our own trade deals and provide state aid for our own industries."

From this thread.

Our MEPs had an opportunity to ratify them, but rejecting them would have been of very little value when the Commission can disregard what MEPs want. MEPs can't initiate legislation. The EP is a poor excuse for a parliament.

The power of the corporations stems from weak government. Media power the price we pay for a free media, ie not state controlled. Politicians can do little except support EU policies.

Allowing democratic governance, ie the country stands or falls by the decisions and policies of its own democratically elected Parliament, is worth the 'risk'. It's staying in an anti-democratic entity that's the real risk imo.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tamora

Allowing democratic governance, ie the country stands or falls by the decisions and policies of its own democratically elected Parliament, is worth the 'risk'. It's staying in an anti-democratic entity that's the real risk imo.

So what are you expecting from our government once we leave the EU? What policies do you want to see implemented. After all, there is no point in having democracy if it doesn't achieve something - so what would that something be?
Reply 17
Original post by ByEeek
So what are you expecting from our government once we leave the EU? What policies do you want to see implemented. After all, there is no point in having democracy if it doesn't achieve something - so what would that something be?

It will be whatever the government elected by the population decides. What I personally want is not the issue.
If the film reflects the out campaign's hopes for a future Britain, then we should all be scared.

The fact that they hark back to the industrial revolution as a golden era when the UK was at its best is odd. The industrial revolution was great... apart from all the child slavery, workhouses, disregard for the environment and minimal/non-existant worker's rights.
Original post by Tamora
It will be whatever the government elected by the population decides. What I personally want is not the issue.

I admire your optimism. One day however, you will learn that sometimes people having a choice is not necessarily a good thing. I really hope that if all hell rains down, you are unaffected but when you are casting your vote, do think about my job and the two small children and a wife it supports. Democracy can hang if anything should happen to them.

Ta.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending